PDA

View Full Version : Quality of chinese goods..

hellmet
August 29th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Absolutely no offense to Chinese, but I definitely seem to have issues with products Made in China. My Thinkpad (made in China), two days short of one year of purchase died today and needs a new Mobo. My Philips 17" monitor(made in China) around 4 years old died a couple of months ago. Our old Samsung TV lasted 5 years before it decided to paint every frame blue. Weren't these supposed to be long term buys? I hope they don't make cars.

Back in the old days, I never remember stuff going kaput. We only upgraded to better items in exchange of the old. Now, we throw away (not-so) old stuff for new. Have manufacturers stopped bothering about quality? Looks like they are producing stuff to last the warranty period after which it is the customer's headache.

Or do consumers just have too much money these days? Well, I don't and I'd rather my computer last me a few years. I bought a Thinkpad keeping in mind the quality of the past which unfortunately Lenovo does not seem to have kept.

Note: I'm a non-native speaker of English, so please excuse my grammar.

koshatnik
August 29th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Its nothing to do with where its made, more to do with the price point. I've bought expensive gear made in china and its been great, bought cheap stuff and its died. But thats no different for other countries too.

Also, modern consumer items like TV's etc, are designed to die after 5 years, so you go out and buy a new one. The days of TV's lasting for 25 years are long long gone.

xpod
August 29th, 2009, 02:49 PM
I dont even think it`s just Chinese goods.
Most of these manufacturers wouldn`t make as much cash if you only needed a new >insert mod con< every 10 years.
It`s either expensive extended warranties or take your chance and hope you dont need a new >insert mod con< 18 months later.That`s just how it is now-a-days.

bodyharvester
August 29th, 2009, 02:56 PM
thats how they make things nowadays.

a warranty is just an estimation of the products intended lifespan

chriskin
August 29th, 2009, 03:16 PM
my mouse is made in china
it never had any problem even though i use it extensively for many years now and it has suffered ugly falls

JDShu
August 29th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Considering how the majority of things you own are probably made in china, its not too surprising that the things that aren't working are things that are made in China.

MikeTheC
August 29th, 2009, 04:00 PM
I'd love to sit here and, as an American who can point to such things as lead in the paint of children's toys from China, and toxic substances in some of the toys themselves, and drywall that has screwed up numerous new-construction houses, and so forth, and complain about the problems with Chinese-imported goods.

Oh, wait a minute. I just did.

Now, I'm not going to sit here and blow smoke up everyone's bum and talk about how perfect and honest and wonderful every American company is -- that's not even close to true and we all know it -- but China's culture is not like ours or like many, many other countries', and I think it's reflected in the lack of concern exuded by what we see coming from their shores.

It's just part and parcel of all the other crap we all know about.

And no, I don't have anything against individual Chinese men and women or their kids. I know they're all human beings and at the end of the day they are just trying to put food on the table, but your country and your government really, really sucks.

aysiu
August 29th, 2009, 04:05 PM
If the politics are not directly related to open source, please keep discussion about them out of this thread.

Otherwise, you will get an infraction and your post will be deleted or jailed.

bodhi.zazen
August 29th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Thread closed.

You are making a seeping overgeneralization, just because you had issues with some products (which are certainly problems) does not mean you should generalize to all of China.

Heaven knows I do not want do be judged as an American because of say the Pinto.

These kind of generalizations are "poor form" and if left unchecked can lead down the slippery slope of prejudice .

Furthermore this thread certainly has a political overtone and is thus off topic in that it is unrelated to GNU Linux or open source.