PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [9.04] Boot stops about one quarter of the way

mattxxx9
August 29th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Background:
My computer caught a bug a week ago and destroyed all my windows utilities and system processes. I can start task manager and run a new task so I can use windows indefinitely. I have chosen to use this opportunity to switch to Linux.

Problem:
I ran Ubuntu 9.04 from a live CD and when it got about one quarter of the way there it froze until I rebooted it two hours later.
Then I installed it to the HDD and got the same problem

overdrank
August 29th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Background:
My computer caught a bug a week ago and destroyed all my windows utilities and system processes. I can start task manager and run a new task so I can use windows indefinitely. I have chosen to use this opportunity to switch to Linux.

Problem:
I ran Ubuntu 9.04 from a live CD and when it got about one quarter of the way there it froze until I rebooted it off two hours later.
Then I installed it to the HDD and got the same problem

Hi and welcome, could you give us some system specs?
Have you checked the cd for errors and also a checksum on the iso HowToMD5SUM (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM)

mattxxx9
August 29th, 2009, 01:58 PM
2.4 GHz Pentium 4
1 GB RAM
Nvidia Geforce 6200 256MB
300W PSU
PS/2 keyboard
USB mouse
48x CD drive

yes I did check for errors on CD after I had the problems
note:
It installed perfectly the first try.

overdrank
August 29th, 2009, 02:09 PM
2.4 GHz Pentium 4
1 GB RAM
Nvidia Geforce 6200 256MB
300W PSU
PS/2 keyboard
USB mouse
48x CD drive

yes I did check for errors on CD after I had the problems
note:
It installed perfectly the first try.

Ok I understood your first post as it did not install. :) If Ubuntu is installed, are you able to boot into recovery mode? If Ubuntu is the only os on the system then you can press the escape key when grub is loading. Then you can select recovery mode and boot to see any errors.
If you are able to boot into recovery mode you will be given 4 options and one will be xfix, I would suggest using xfix and when complete then choose to boot normally.

mattxxx9
August 29th, 2009, 03:03 PM
I am dual booting because I want to make sure Ubuntu works before uninstalling windows.
There is no xfix.

Is there any chance my system is incompatible???

presence1960
August 29th, 2009, 03:27 PM
I am dual booting because I want to make sure Ubuntu works before uninstalling windows.
There is no xfix.

Is there any chance my system is incompatible???

It has to be there. Boot into recovery mode. When the window "Recovery options" appears use the down arrow key to scroll down to the last entry which is xfix. if you do not scroll the last 3 or so options are not visible. if it isn't there then your install is faulty.

mattxxx9
August 29th, 2009, 04:14 PM

overdrank
August 29th, 2009, 04:19 PM
When you highlight ubuntu on the last screen shot you can use the escape key there.
Did you use wubi to install?

mattxxx9
August 29th, 2009, 04:53 PM
yes i used WUBI

1019 is the original problem
1022 and 1023 are when I first boot
1024 is after I select ubuntu
1025 is when I press escape

mattxxx9
August 29th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Hey, I fixed it.
I had remembered that I had had problems with my Graphics card when I first installed it so i just took it out and it booted fine.

thank you for all your time and assistance.