PDA

View Full Version : bigpond etc.

Nick Brohman
August 29th, 2009, 10:55 AM
... Or Dingos 1st swim in the (Aus.) IP lagoon.The next hit after this first line will be the start of this experiment yet you will have to read the ps for more...#154 I thank. From this moment- 10.13pm AEST - this experiment/learning exercise is up & running. There will just be a post date placed here and there will be.....(you will just have to come back).
8 Sept., 2009 --8 .45pm AEST Post #13

G'day to all in Ubuntu, this is my first visit to The Cafe. I want to thank Linus for starting Linux. I also want to thank the creators of projectM for the wonderful work that they have done with that program.

I haven't explored all of the environment yet mainly because trying to learn (by myself) about what I can or can't do daunts me at times. I am going to start doing the tutorials.

I have had a PC for 4 yrs. now but only really started using it in the last twelve mths.. I've loaded about 2/3s of my music coll. on to the HDD ( I won't tell you how many times I've done that ) & after problems, first with XP Pro and then other things that I did wrong, I finally 'signed' with bigpond for the net. By this time, I had Linux on the system ( not sure which one, poss. 7.04 ) and did what I'd been told to do to get connected. No such luck!

Could not connect to the net - kept getting broken pipes. I then loaded Sabyon and was connected immediately. The problem now is that. on a supposedly 1/2 price scheme for the first twelve mths., my 3rd and 4th bills were huge so I upgraded my scheme to 12Gb per mth. & since then,despite several calls to bigpond, I am paying full price.

On more than one occasion I had no connection for days at a time. I reckoned that I should not turn off the modem once I got a connection but still had problems.
Boxing Day last, I was so frustrated with this (and VERY angry with bigpond) that I rang to sort it. Mistake!!! A computer was chastising me for making noises of exasperation because I couldn't get it to understand me.

It started with the 1st question - 'Do you have a light?'. My reply was 'yes' but the question should been "What colour light did I have?'.
My light was red and I had answered the question as asked. After 3/4s of an hour I finally got a human and the problem was found in no time - modem was kaput. I Hardy Heron on the system by this time & I'd loaded Wine and a couple of Sony programs for my minidisc stereo - I did know that these could cause probs. & they did.

I now have 8.04 & look forward to the upgrade. All this was on my orig. Celeron, which I still have but now use an AMD dual core thanks to Kevin & Wayne giving us poor pensioners a Xmas bonus.

I find that since my stroke three years ago, that I don't have the stamina to do a lot of things that were once a walk in the park so I'll be spending more time at the AMD.

By the way, having survived a heart attack that would kill a mere mortal, I want you all to know that the indigestion you think you have could be a heart attack. My 1st was diagnosed as such and when I went through my 2nd, I thought to myself that the Chili Con Carne I'd made that evening was a bit too hot and I love hot chili.

If you get an ache in tge chest and start feeling funny in the arms & legs, get an Amulance or get someone to drive you to Emergency.
What I have learnt about my attacks is this :- Sit Down, Relax, Close your eyes and take slow deep breaths and empty your mind. Now, I'm not saying that this will work for everyone, but it could help one of you.

I believe that one of the medications I'd been taking caused my attacks in '01/'02 - Ihad another within three weeks but had asked an experienced sufferer what happens during an attack. He told me how I had felt 2 days prior, so with the onset of the next one, I knew what to do.

I was skipping a (Lawn Bowls) Pennants rink for the 1st time & my mob were doing better than expected and, after about 30 mins. of play, I started to feel strange in the arms & legs with an idigestion like pain just to the right of my sternum. I played my two bowls & told the other skip that I would be leaving the rink & going to the local Clinic. Within an hour I was in The Prince Charles Hospital. Therein lies another story for a rainy day. I would like to thank all at PCH for what they've done for me, except for one Cardio Spec. who told me that my life was not worth the effort of bypass surgery. Apparently my body is creating another artery for my heart. After my angiogram 4 weeks later, this bloke said to me - "We nearly went in but.....'. I have now 100% blockage in one artery when, 7 yrs. ago it was 80%. One artery is reasonably clear (20%), the other about 50%.

I'm still breathing, still play Bowls, can't dance like a Dervish any more but can wriggle & shuffle like most seem to do. I miss being able to surf or run but I still have a brain that won't turn off. I miss working as a cook, I took a lot of pleasure when my brigade and I would get a compliment or when an apprentice grew in confidence and gained more skills.

I once worked the takeaway counter for the best seafood complex in Brisbane (at the time). One Tuesday night, 2 customers walked in just before closing and sussed the menu. I think at the time that we had about 20 varieties of fish available (can't get selections like that anymore), one of which was Barramundi.

We had to buy Barra frozen but it was always thawed in the proper manner before service. This bloke saw the Barra and his mate must have been a southerner because this bloke wanted to air his knowledge of seafood. He asked the lass at the till if the ' Barramundi is frozen.' Of course, I said that it was not (at that moment). Had that bloke asked if if 'had been frozen', I would also have answered yes.

The question asked is the question that is answered. Ask the right question to get the right answer, a lesson I am now learning with PCs & the net.
Enough of this frivolity, I am just about to cook a very hot chili with lots of garlic & lemon.
Remember that it's better to be a human bean than to be a baked bean.
I've enjoyed my Turkish and will visit this cafe again.

Music lovers of the rock/blues variety look out for Ryan Brohman (he's no relation that I know of yet, more of the tree to explore but I would say we share DNA because our families would have emigrated from the same part of Denmark/Germany because the name was lacal to an area near Hamburg)

SUITS (see you in the sunshine) Nick:tongue:

PS Please my verbosity N

pps At the start of this week, this thread went from embarrassment to experiment Hit #154 will be a world 1st for you & I.

This is only ever going to be the thread I'll use in The Cafe, hence the experiment...everything in the thread so far will be expanded - I've just survived another heart attack & wish to thank all who have posted here so far for giving me the determination to see this through.

I've had Net connection for 1 yr. but it is only 9 days now that I have started doing what some of you have done for a long time. I'm just starting out ....to find out more, you'll just have to visit with this thread & myself again & I hope that you do.

#154 will mean that I've managed to write an opening paragraph that got you reading & that you were the first to do so & I thank you

See ya! Nicko

hobo14
August 29th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Not having a go Nick, just want to say how surprised I am that anyone uses Bigpond, they are insanely expensive!

Plumtreed
August 29th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Bigpond is expensive but it usually works. I don't use them because they don't get this far into the bush.

Well actually their 3G wireless reaches us but that is expensive!

Sorry about your health problems:(

gletob
August 29th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Paragraphs, paragraphs, paragraphs, you kind of have some you just need to space it out. Large amounts of word's require spacing, without spacing I am to tired to read you post. Sorry.

HappinessNow
August 29th, 2009, 03:59 PM
paragraphs, paragraphs, paragraphs. Large amounts of word's require spacing, without spacing i am to tired to read you post. Sorry.
+1

Nick Brohman
August 29th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Not having a go Nick, just want to say how surprised I am that anyone uses Bigpond, they are insanely expensive!

G'day., not only are they expensive but very frustrating and, for a communication co.. they really don't understand the English language.The ccomputer is the one that got me. It's not really easy to talk to an entity that can't think logically.

Like the example of the bloke buying Barra - ask the right question first.

I use bigpond because of troubles I had with Optus and a mobile phone. The other reasons are the phone line I use is Telstra and that I don't have credit cards. Most other suppliers I looked at wanted money upfront or I was unssure of them.

I think the word for bigpond is ... (Thesaurus time...) crafty.

I once asked them for 2 request for credit forms and got one. I asked that my plan be properly reinstated at 1/2 price and they said OK but did nothing. I tried to talk to them at a Telstra shop but had to use their phone which had a connection that sounded like I was on a very long party line, the reception was that bad. I couldn't understand the lingo of the woman I was talking to, I could hardly hear her.

I am going to stay with them for the moment as I'm
investigating legal avenues to deal with them. I can get out of the contract at no cost but that will defeat my purpose of being reimbursed for their incompetence.
Now that is a good word for them.

Basically, I was lied to by the bigpond/Telstra person who did my contract and since then, being a little fish in a bigpond, I've been treated with disdain.
Don't you just love talking to someone in another country when you want to deal with one of Australia's biggest ripoffs...oops, I mean company.
When is then is when.

Then is when is then.

SUITS Nicko:tongue:

Chili tonight was tasty.

Nick Brohman
August 29th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Paragraphs, paragraphs, paragraphs, you kind of have some you

just need to space it out. Large amounts of word's require spacing, without spacing I am to

tired to read you post. Sorry.

I don't care if you're "to tired",, I'm a nuB and am learning all the time. At least I took the

pains of proofreading my text

geekygirl
August 29th, 2009, 04:36 PM
You should post about your Bigpuddle woes at Whirlpool as you are likely to get a far better response and/or help/advice.

Since a lot of people on UF wont have any idea about whom you are complaining about...

Just a thought...

Nick Brohman
August 29th, 2009, 04:46 PM
You should post about your Bigpuddle woes at Whirlpool as you are likely to get a far better response and/or help/advice.

Since a lot of people on UF wont have any idea about whom you are complaining about...

Just a thought...

Thank you for that info.. What is UF?
SUITS Nicko

geekygirl
August 29th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Thank you for that info.. What is UF?
SUITS Nicko

UF = Ubuntu Forums ;)

Nick Brohman
August 29th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Bigpond is expensive but it usually works. I don't use them because they don't get this far into the bush.

Well actually their 3G wireless reaches us but that is expensive!

Sorry about your health problems:(
Thanks for your care but you don't have to be sorry for me. There are many people in the world with worse problems than mine.

Thankfully I live near one of, if not, the best Cardio care units in the world. 000 will get me to the PCH very quickly. Not everyone is lucky enough to have that sort of care.
I've got a body that is quite used up but I've enjoyed most of my life and wouldn't swap many of my experiences, I just wish I never took that first puff.

There's no guarantee that I wouldn't have arterial problems of some sort, it seems to be a family trait. My Dad, Grandad & Great Grandfather as well as one of Dad's brothers died of heart attacks.

At least I'm one of the "lucky" ones who knows when an attack is coming on. I can then choose to go thru' the excruciating pain of my last attack 5 yrs. ago.

Since I stopped taking their drugs, I don't suffer X number of angina attacks per week (my record was 5 in 7 days).

I was sentenced to death on the day I was born just like everyone else.
It's just that I know how I'm going and I can accept that.

Give me a home amongst the gum trees
With lots of plumtrees.... I miss Bullamakanka
Used yo go to the Coolangatta to rage with every Thursday night when I worked and lived at Burleigh in'80. Ther surfing was great in those days as well.

I used to be a lover not a fighter.
I used to be a Moto Guzzi rider
SUITS Nicko:razz:

Nick Brohman
August 29th, 2009, 05:21 PM
UF = Ubuntu Forums ;)
Thank you, I'm not good with acronyms in comspeak yet but I will learn
SUITS Nicko:smile:

Nick Brohman
September 8th, 2009, 11:47 AM
I'd like to know if anyone in Bloomfield, NJ, has read this post.

Mum's older sister was a War Bride who lived in Bloomfield & worked in Manhattan.

I'll tell more of her story very soon.

I want to know how long you have been there, if you work in town or commute NY, if you will retire there & short description of town or favourite place to relax.

#165 is a winner!

Cheers, Nicko

You can walk a mile in my shoes...I like to walk on the grass!

Nick Brohman
September 13th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Hello to all,

My problems with my ISP may soon be resolved

The 'rant' ts not a complaint, I am trying explain that a person, new to both computer & OS can have a lot of problems.

When I loaded Sabayon, my 3nd Linux distro, I got connection to the Net immediately and then tried to register so that I could start to get help.

I could not register or understand how to enter code or got a message because I did not have an email address.

Not understanding why this was happening, I thought the address that bigpond had assigned to me was valid.

I gave up trying to get any help via the Net until told to 'just go to yahoo and register there'.

That I did on 9/07/09, did not have a chance to do anything until joining the Ubuntu community on my return home in late August

My ISP offered no help other than sending me, by phone to Gizmo, their corporate ??

Just to ask a question of them, I had to have a Credit Card to get an answer.

Not wanting to have a pre-paid card, as I was advised to do, there was no resolution.

That was in January this year, by this time, I had loaded 7.10, upgraded immediately to 8.04.

In late Feb., I tried to configure my address manually and ran into troubles.

Last night,12/09/09, I endeavoured to send links to Web sites reciprocally to replies to a thread in The Cafe, to my brother & others.

I realised that by the action of the email that no one was receiving links.

I found that I could not change the address given me last year and sent an email (ironically) to my ISP.

I now am waiting for them to get in touch with me over the next 48 hrs.

I just could not work out how all of my repeated requests to them were virtually ignored.

I've now discovered that my home is a URL (?) and now have one of my bromeliads as my avatar.

I also have a signature thanks to advice in another thread, I am getting there but am still struggling with acronyms.

Whenever I get to a help page that refers to actions in Windows, I'll scan the page to see if I understand what I need to know or do. Generally I don't but now I'm scanning these great pages for help to others, trying things or just noting for future reference.

I hope every one is enjoying their day

Nicko

Nick Brohman
September 13th, 2009, 08:09 AM
+1

Just reading this post as at 5.06 on 12/09/09, I now have worked out that +1 means ditto.

For the life of me, +1 meant absolutely nothing!

Nicko

I thank that person for more knowledge, one should never stop gaining knowledge.

Bucky Ball
September 13th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Well, for all you folks outside Australia, Bigpond has pretty much got the cable market sewn up (and the places you can't get Bigpond Cable are covered by another provider which leases the line from Bigpond anyhow!).

The 12Gb (then slowed) cable deal equates to AU$70; about US$60. For us it is reliable but overpriced, their communication is totally hopeless. If there was an alternative cable I'd go for it. Even been looking at wireless just to get away from Bigpond (which is about the same price).

The same company that owns the telephony infrastructure (Telstra) owns Bigpond. A commercial magic roundabout of profit as they have the market cornered thanks to some really bad privatisation decisions by previous governments, but I shan't go there. Too late, I already did!

Nick Brohman
September 13th, 2009, 09:32 AM
The same company that owns the telephony infrastructure (Telstra) owns Bigpond. A commercial magic roundabout of profit as they have the market cornered thanks to some really bad privatisation decisions by previous governments, but I shan't go there. Too late, I already did!

Thanks for being able to give that description.

I've just been to the Whirlpool site again and had a better look at the problems long time users have had.

Frankly, I am appalled by what Telstra does not do for its customers.

BTW I have a relation who requires Net connection to run his business.

He had major probs.,no net for three weeks or more, no help from Telstra and loss of income. As a major consultant in his field of business, it wasn't a very good period for him.

They don't listen, yet are the major Telecommunications network in this country.

Nicko

Bucky Ball
September 13th, 2009, 09:54 AM
they don't listen, yet are the major telecommunications network in this country.

Nicko

+1

Swagman
September 13th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Isn't iinet still going ?

Nick Brohman
September 13th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Isn't iinet still going ?

Hey swaggie, I have no idea of what that is, sorry--learner driver & all.

Thanks, I'll look into that

Nicko

Nick Brohman
September 13th, 2009, 11:34 AM
+1

Bucky, after I ;ooked closely at Whirlpool, I reckon +1 should have quite a few zeroes

behind it.

I only went to posts regarding ADSL, I had to have a Bex and lie down....

Appalling, atrocious....

My first modem was down for probably 1/2 of the time thru' their faoltg & they had the temerity tu charge me for no accessibility.

Nocko

Nick Brohman
September 14th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Crazy is all I can say about Telstra.

Two emails sent to them and I get emails saying 'I don't understand what is that you want'.

What I want is my accounts to be adjusted to reflect the level of the scheme I 'signed' up

for. It's off to the Ombudsman tomorrow to get it sorted.

I signed the second email 'Not Happy Dan'.

Telstra ran an ad years ago and the punchline was 'Not Happy Jan'

It has become a catch phrase here now and the name of the addressee was Dan.

They also sent the greatest load of codswallop I've ever read. "We care about you" means

nothing to me when they can't even do as I asked..use the telephone or have they lost

them too.

Nicko:smile: