PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Moblin Remix?

Katalog
August 29th, 2009, 08:30 AM
So, I was bored and poking around looking at the recent changes to the Ubuntu Wiki, and I noticed there had been an update to a page called the Karmic Koala Release Manifest. I was scrolling down looking for the Ubuntu Netbook Remix entry, and right below it was an entry for "Ubuntu Moblin Remix". It looks like it won't be officially announced and is going to be a developer only release and not freely available, but has anyone else heard anything about this project or am I just slow? I like to think that I pay pretty good attention to what's going on in the Ubuntu world, but this is the first I've heard of this.

Sorry if this has already been covered in another topic, but I did a quick search and didn't find anything.

EDIT: Never mind. I should have hit Google first. Looks like there were stories about it floating around since May/June timeframe. Turns out I'm slow after all. :redface:

NormanFLinux
August 29th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Its not ready yet, Whether a Moblin version will appear this year remains to be seen. Its still in beta testing.

matthewbpt
August 29th, 2009, 11:33 PM
I would love this, the moblin interface is so much better than the Ubuntu Netbook Remix IMO.

Katalog
August 29th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Its not ready yet, Whether a Moblin version will appear this year remains to be seen. Its still in beta testing.

Thus the "developer only" release. Yeah, I get that. ;)

pjalegria
August 30th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Where is the download to test???:lolflag:

Katalog
August 30th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Where is the download to test???:lolflag:
I don't think there's going to be one. If you look at the matrix (located here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KarmicKoala/ReleaseManifest ) you'll see that it will be cdimage only, and devs are the only ones that are going to be able to get their hands on it. No idea who you would contact about getting a copy, although it lists a guy named David Mandala (he's involved in Netbook Remix, Ubuntu Mobile and several other teams) in the Sign Off column.

om26er
September 15th, 2009, 03:59 PM
its not for developers only in it will be released alongside karmic. and if any1 wanna try the live image can get from
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-moblin-remix/daily-live/current/
its not gonna get released in alpha 6 rather its beta will be released on 1st october. if any1 tests it and find bugs report then at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-moblin-remix

Katalog
September 16th, 2009, 02:34 AM
Nice find. At the time that I posted about it I was going off the information on the matrix, and under "Announcement" it said "None" and under "Maintenance commitment" it said "no support, developers release only", and it still says that. So it's not like I was purposely trying to mislead anyone or give out disinformation. I was quoting something that was actually on Ubuntu's own wiki (and still is). But in any case, that's good news for anyone that want's to try it out.

NormanFLinux
September 16th, 2009, 02:59 AM
I'm downloading it. If it works, I'll install it to my netbook.

NormanFLinux
September 16th, 2009, 09:49 AM
I burned a disc. The menu options do nothing when enter is pressed. A lot more work is needed to create a bootable disk.

MaX
September 17th, 2009, 02:41 PM
What I don't get is that no-one has made a .deb of the interface. The interface is just clutter based, there's no special magic that makes it impossible for it to run on non-atom CPU's nor any other graphics card then Intel.

I'd love to have that interface for my computer that's connected to the TV...

om26er
September 21st, 2009, 02:55 PM
download the image again and check the md5 hash

Katalog
September 22nd, 2009, 02:04 AM
Haven't tried the Moblin Remix yet, but I did check out Moblin v2 Standard yesterday, and while it's certainly different, I can't say I was all that impressed with it. Everything worked, both hardware and software, out of the box on my Eee PC 1000HA and it was set up with the correct resolution for my screen, but browsing through it and playing with it for a bit it was just kind of like "Huh. OK". I actually think this would be better suited for someone with a screen that is 9" or smaller, and seemed only a little better than HP's version of Netbook Remix that came with my old Mini 1000 Mii Edition, in terms of customization and ability to add and remove applications. Perhaps I just need to use it a little more to see what it can really do, but at the moment I still find UNR to be a better solution for me. But then again, that could be just because I've been using UNR for so long (almost a year) and I'm more familiar with it, therefore making it more comfortable for me in terms of usability. It definitely has some serious potential for the casual user, but I just don't think it would do it for me at this point in time. I'll probably try Ubuntu's version some time later this week (don't have much time right now as I'm getting ready to go have back surgery tomorrow) so I can compare the two for differences, although I can't imagine their being too many variances between the two versions. Has someone already tried both that can point to anything significantly different between the two?

NormanFLinux
September 22nd, 2009, 02:06 AM
Its designed for netbooks. Every linux distro by next year will offer their own Moblin spin.

Katalog
September 23rd, 2009, 04:41 AM
Its designed for netbooks. Every linux distro by next year will offer their own Moblin spin.

Uh, yep. Sure is. Thank you, Captain Obvious. So, what's that statement supposed mean? Was that meant to be an answer to somebody's question or something? :confused: Did you accidentally post in the wrong thread, or what?

I'm a little confused here, since we all already know what Moblin is, and have either run it, or tried to run it, in some form, so, um, what's your point?

Katalog
September 23rd, 2009, 04:49 AM
I'd love to have that interface for my computer that's connected to the TV...

Hey, MaX. I can't imagine that it's hiding in a place too different than the netbook launcher is on UNR, so if I were able find the interface files would you know how to package them for different architectures?