PDA

View Full Version : How many of you make use of apturl?

Viva
August 29th, 2009, 07:47 AM
It is quickly becoming my preferred method of installing software. When I first started using ubuntu, I always used synaptic, then got lazy and started using apt-get from the terminal. I have become even more lazy these days and I just prefer typing apt:cheese in firefox to typing sudo apt-get install cheese in the terminal. It also helps that I have firefox opened most of the time:lolflag:

madjr
August 29th, 2009, 09:09 AM
hmm i think i'll try that

hanzomon4
August 29th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Oh... thats how you use it? Did not know

Paqman
August 29th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Apturl rawks, I try to use it in these forums whenever I remember, it's great for giving newbies a "click this to solve all your problems" solution. Hopefully that removes one more speedbump while people are getting to grips with the new system.

IIRC, Ubuntu are planning to push hard for wider use of apturl, as it's a major feature of the upcoming changes to software management over the next couple of releases. Gdebi is for the chop, and apturl links will hook straight into the new "software store" (terrible name, btw).

Viva
August 29th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Oh... thats how you use it? Did not know

Is that sarcasm?

mrgnash
August 29th, 2009, 10:03 AM
No, never.

Bachstelze
August 29th, 2009, 10:10 AM
No thanx. apt-get forever. Old habits die hard. ;)

suitedaces
August 29th, 2009, 10:13 AM
It is quickly becoming my preferred method of installing software. When I first started using ubuntu, I always used synaptic, then got lazy and started using apt-get from the terminal. I have become even more lazy these days and I just prefer typing apt:cheese in firefox to typing sudo apt-get install cheese in the terminal. It also helps that I have firefox opened most of the time:lolflag:

Thanks viva, wasn't aware of this at all. Really convenient.

Bodsda
August 29th, 2009, 10:14 AM
then got lazy and started using apt-get from the terminal
I did not realize that using the terminal was lazy. Personally I think you have much more power with apt then you do with Synaptic.

it's great for giving newbies a "click this to solve all your problems" solution. Hopefully that removes one more speedbump while people are getting to grips with the new system.

IIRC, Ubuntu are planning to push hard for wider use of apturl, as it's a major feature of the upcoming changes to software management over the next couple of releases. Gdebi is for the chop, and apturl links will hook straight into the new "software store" (terrible name, btw).

Is a "click this to solve all your problems" solution really the best way to do things? That's like sitting next to a homeless man and giving him money whenever he needs food... Why not just teach him how to work. If newbies dont understand how a link fixes their problem then they will never be competent on their own. They will continuously be asking questions that can be solved by a small amount of research. I for one would much prefer to teach them how to find the answer and then tell them why that answer solves the problem.

Mass apturl adoption will exponentiate the PEBKAC errors.

And why are they ditching gdebi? That is the best graphical deb installer, its small and handy for the newer user.

Paqman
August 29th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Is a "click this to solve all your problems" solution really the best way to do things? That's like sitting next to a homeless man and giving him money whenever he needs food... Why not just teach him how to work. If newbies dont understand how a link fixes their problem then they will never be competent on their own. They will continuously be asking questions that can be solved by a small amount of research. I for one would much prefer to teach them how to find the answer and then tell them why that answer solves the problem.

You know, I was counting the minutes until somebody said this :)

Yes, of course teaching someone how to use their system properly is best in the long run. However, an instant fix is sometimes the most appropriate guidance for someone who's stressing.

Newbies often make simple things hard, and get themselves tied in knots. Some people also find the new system bewildering and stressful. Those people will benefit from not being given a full UNIX-bashing. Whereas some newbies front up asking how to do everything in the terminal. Horses for courses, and having a wide-range of fixes available to match to different queries makes you a better teacher IMO.

Therefore, I stand by my original statement: apturl can be handy for struggling newbs. Plus, I dig showing them cool, useful things that only Linux can do early in their experience.

Paqman
August 29th, 2009, 10:36 AM
And why are they ditching gdebi? That is the best graphical deb installer, its small and handy for the newer user.

The objective of the new system is to unify all the current apps (Synaptic, Add/Remove, Gdebi, Update Manager, etc) into a single cohesive software management tool.

hanzomon4
August 29th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Is that sarcasm?

No I really had no idea what apturl was suppose to be

Bodsda
August 29th, 2009, 10:41 AM
You know, I was counting the minutes until somebody said this :)

Yes, of course teaching someone how to use their system properly is best in the long run. However, an instant fix is sometimes the most appropriate guidance for someone who's stressing.

Newbies often make simple things hard, and get themselves tied in knots. Some people also find the new system bewildering and stressful. Those people will benefit from not being given a full UNIX-bashing. Whereas some newbies front up asking how to do everything in the terminal. Horses for courses, and having a wide-range of fixes available to match to different queries makes you a better teacher IMO.

Therefore, I stand by my original statement: apturl can be handy for struggling newbs. Plus, I dig showing them cool, useful things that only Linux can do early in their experience.

First off, nice post :) It's great to see someone who can back up their original statements without resorting to personal attacks. I agree with you about most newbies not wanting to be battered round the head with a 500 page bash guide before they can install something.

But I also think that if people are going to simplify things to the extent of a single click then sufficient explanation should be almost compulsory. If you think of the aboriginal tribes who no longer have skills of their ancestors due to things being simplified (such as a lighter or matches to start a fire), that is the sort of thinking that I am getting at. We need to make sure that people still understand about computers. The technical information needs to always be readily available and pointed to so that the inquisitive few still have the opportunity to learn.

Regards,
Bodsda

Viva
August 29th, 2009, 10:43 AM
No I really had no idea what apturl was suppose to be

ah, thats fair enough:)

Bodsda
August 29th, 2009, 10:45 AM
The objective of the new system is to unify all the current apps (Synaptic, Add/Remove, Gdebi, Update Manager, etc) into a single cohesive software management tool.

hmm, just removing Add/Remove application would then keep to the UNIX philosophy of "do one thing and do it well". I predict this new "single cohesive software management tool" will fail due to it trying to do too many things.

Bodsda
August 29th, 2009, 10:46 AM
ah, thats fair enough:)

Nice sig link btw...

Also, I have six fingers, and you look a lot like your father mwahahaha!!!

Paqman
August 29th, 2009, 10:47 AM
if people are going to simplify things to the extent of a single click then sufficient explanation should be almost compulsory.

Absolutely.

That also goes for the one-line posts of terminal commands you sometimes see in the Absolute Beginners forum. These are often from the same folks who support giving ALL help by terminal commands because it's "quicker". It's only quicker because they're not bothering to explain the commands they post, which is really bad practice IMO.

Bodsda
August 29th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Absolutely.

That also goes for the one-line posts of terminal commands you sometimes see in the Absolute Beginners forum. These are often from the same folks who support giving ALL help by terminal commands because it's "quicker". It's only quicker because they're not bothering to explain the commands they post, which is really bad practice IMO.

I think giving someone this

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
Is quicker then saying

Launch synaptic, search for flash and then look down the list until you find one that says 'flashplugin-nonfree', then tick the box for that one and then click the apply button in the top left hand side.

The code is obviously quicker and provides exactly the same amount of information as the synaptic one... both give the user a grand total of bugger all. With each one an explanation should be given like so.

This is the main way of installing things through the terminal. First you need the word 'sudo', this means that the following command should be run with root(provide link about root) privileges, next is the program we use 'apt-get', then you tell the program that we want to install something 'install', then we tell it what to install 'flashplugin-nonfree'

Viva
August 29th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Nice sig link btw...

Also, I have six fingers, and you look a lot like your father mwahahaha!!!

:lolflag:

Viva
August 29th, 2009, 10:59 AM
I think giving someone this

Is quicker then saying

The code is obviously quicker and provides exactly the same amount of information as the synaptic one... both give the user a grand total of bugger all. With each one an explanation should be given like so.

Alternatively, you can just use apturl. It is much easier for newbies than using a terminal. Not saying that the terminal is evil or too geeky, but most windows users are scared of command line thanks to the intimidatory and awful windows command prompt.

Install Flash Plugin (apt:flashplugin-nonfree)

Bodsda
August 29th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Alternatively, you can just use apturl. It is much easier for newbies than using a terminal. Not saying that the terminal is evil or too geeky, but most windows users are scared of command line thanks to the intimidatory and awful windows command prompt.

Install Flash Plugin (apt:flashplugin-nonfree)

Hmm, I love cmd, really useful to see whether someone at work listened to you when you said "Log out, do NOT Shutdown". Ping ftw! or for syncing a computers system clock with your domain controller

I would still say the terminal was more useful. If people get use to installing software from the terminal then they will be less intimidated by it and then they will be more likely to try other terminal things.

Can you provide an apturl link to compile something from source? Also, if a single click on a link can start an installation process on my machine then I am starting worry more and more about its security. If it can tell 'apt' to do something then it wont be long until I can get it to tell 'rm' to do something.

EDIT: Whats stopping me from adding a link like this
Install flashplugin (apt:install 70000000 million pieces of software to totally fill your machines, mwahahahahaha!!!!)

Or install dvd playback software to someone in a country where it is illegal to have such things.

slakkie
August 29th, 2009, 11:20 AM
I don't use apturl, since aptitude and the various apt-tools are my long time friends.

I do see a use for apturl for tutorials, in addition to the usual please do sudp aptitude install ..

In response to noobs will not learn the system by using apturl.
That will work itself out, apturl doesn't allow package removal, you can't see the policy, you can't see a description of the package. So if new users want to get more information about a package they should still fire up sytaptic or make use of the various apt-tools.

calrogman
August 29th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Aptitude is better in than apt-* in every respect.

The attachment below sums up my RAGE! @ people who prefer apt-* to aptitude.

That is all.

slakkie
August 30th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Aptitude is better in than apt-* in every respect.

The attachment below sums up my RAGE! @ people who prefer apt-* to aptitude.

That is all.

apt-cache, apt-file are functions that are not implemented in aptitude afaik.