PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] error 5 during installion, complicated.

antel
August 29th, 2009, 03:04 AM
i have been trying to install ubuntu on many of my friends computers including my own for the past 4 days. i keep getting error 5 at 27%. i tried around 7 different discs, 2x, 4x, 6x writing speeds. multiple site downloads. also used 3 different burners. and four different branded cds. every computer gives me the same error. need some help.

VMC
August 29th, 2009, 03:17 AM
i have been trying to install ubuntu on many of my friends computers including my own for the past 4 days. i keep getting error 5 at 27%. i tried around 7 different discs, 2x, 4x, 6x writing speeds. multiple site downloads. also used 3 different burners. and four different branded cds. every computer gives me the same error. need some help.

Did you do the disk check before you tried to install? Also, what burning program are you using. Try a slower speed if possible.

antel
August 29th, 2009, 03:26 AM
i used imgburn. i tried the lowest speed 1x. still didnt work. i did a disk check before i installed. no errors. i checked "automatically fix".

raymondh
August 29th, 2009, 03:44 AM
Very interesting that all computers and different CD's stop at 27% with a error 5 (faulty disc or drive).

Try an alternate install. Or, you can try a server 32-bit install and then load/install the default desktop (if you don't mind running 32-bit).

Am wondering if the latest desktop edition is buggy.

antel
August 29th, 2009, 03:49 AM
32 bit is fine. what would an alternate install be? i will be trying the server install. it is pretty buggy. i had it installed on my computer but replaced hd. it went fine on the old hd. but i had alot of problems with other computers.

raymondh
August 29th, 2009, 03:56 AM
32 bit is fine. what would an alternate install be? i will be trying the server install. it is pretty buggy. i had it installed on my computer but replaced hd. it went fine on the old hd.

alternate (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#alternate) is text based ... same desktop version, just text based.

If you try a server install (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download-server) .... you can install the desktop by going terminal

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

I run Jaunty. Am just curious/amazed on how you get the same error on different computers and using different iso files and different CD's...hence my comment about the desktop being buggy.

Try the alternate first. Also, use a torrent.

VMC
August 29th, 2009, 04:24 AM
I thinking the only common denominator is the same computer is doing the downloads and burning. Can you possibly download with another pc and burn with that pc as a test.

antel
August 29th, 2009, 04:30 AM
i did use more than opne computer. i used 3 computers, in all. downloaded and burned on each of those. all slow (2x) speeds.

raymondh
August 29th, 2009, 04:30 AM
I thinking the only common denominator is the same computer is doing the downloads and burning. Can you possibly download with another pc and burn with that pc as a test.
Edit : posted too late