PDA

View Full Version : Calendar, tasks and appointments.

Sashin
August 29th, 2009, 12:52 AM
At the moment I'm tossing over which calender application to use. So far I'm tossing between Evolution and Spicebird.

There's alot of features in spicebird which make me prefer it overall, however one crucial feature is that when I click on the time, I can see my tasks and appointments in evolution.

Is there a way to do this in spicebird?

Mateo
August 29th, 2009, 01:02 AM
At the moment I'm tossing over which calender application to use. So far I'm tossing between Evolution and Spicebird.

There's alot of features in spicebird which make me prefer it overall, however one crucial feature is that when I click on the time, I can see my tasks and appointments in evolution.

Is there a way to do this in spicebird?

No, the reason you can do that with evolution is that the clock/calendar applet is created specifically for evolution (being a Gnome product). To get the same functionality for Spicebird, someone would have to write a spicebird panel applet.

oldsoundguy
August 29th, 2009, 01:05 AM
Since I keep Thunderbird open all the time, I use the calender that adds on to it .. but it really is just a bare bones system. IF that is all your need, worth a look.

Sashin
August 29th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Spicebird is based on Thunderbird.

hanzomon4
August 29th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Spicebird is impressive. I'm using it in kde and wow, really neat. Just can't get chat working

Sashin
August 29th, 2009, 01:44 AM
I haven't tried to, but the calendar is amazing. Evolution mail is still be for me in my opinion. But its calendar is missing some vital features, like categories for example.

matthewbpt
August 29th, 2009, 01:55 AM
If you want your calendar to appear in the calendar/clock applet, create a google calendar and sync it with your local computer calendar, then find the ical url for your google canlendar (in google calendar settings, click in the 'Calendars' tab, and then click on your calendar, and at the bottom there's a link for your private ical url) copy it, then type in the address bar 'webcal://your/ical/url' and press enter; a popup will come up, select evoluiton-webcal and click ok. Now your events will appear in the calendar/clock applet for that day! I came across this feature by accident a while ago, very handy because you can use whatever program you want for your calendar, as long as you keep it in sync with your google calendar!

23meg
August 29th, 2009, 02:00 AM
No, the reason you can do that with evolution is that the clock/calendar applet is created specifically for evolution (being a Gnome product). To get the same functionality for Spicebird, someone would have to write a spicebird panel applet.

Not exactly; you can get the panel clock to display appointments from any iCalendar compatible source.

quazi
August 29th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Rainlendar is pretty cool: http://www.rainlendar.net/

Sashin
August 29th, 2009, 02:17 AM
Is rainlender a calendar of its own, or does it display tasks from evolution?

MikeTheC
August 29th, 2009, 02:55 AM
I use Sunbird now. I've just recently had a reason to start getting in to calendering. I use iCal on Mac OS X and Sunbird on Ubuntu. So far, it looks like a keeper.