PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Not enough free space to upgrade

BetterSense
August 28th, 2009, 11:33 PM
I can't run apt-get upgrade because there is not enough free space.

df says that / is 97% full after running apt-get clean. My / partition is 5.8 GB; I had no idea this wouldn't be enough for a root partition.

What is taking up all the space? Surely it's not all programs? What can I do to free up some of it?

running_rabbit07
August 28th, 2009, 11:54 PM
I can't run apt-get upgrade because there is not enough free space.

df says that / is 97% full after running apt-get clean. My / partition is 5.8 GB; I had no idea this wouldn't be enough for a root partition.

What is taking up all the space? Surely it's not all programs? What can I do to free up some of it?

My / partition is using 5.5 out of 20 gigs. I have Edubuntu Studio installed and that takes up a lot of space.

If you have gnome games installed and don't use them, you can uninstall them via Synaptic.

If you have programs that you don't use, then you can uninstall them.

BetterSense
August 29th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Is it really programs then? I guess I'll go through synaptic trying to get rid of fluff. I can't believe programs can take up 5 gigs.

drs305
August 29th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Take a look at the "Disk Space" link in my signature line. While the guide is designed to recover large amounts of 'lost' disk space, there is a section on gaining back a bit of space, which is probably the best you can do with a 5GB /.

running_rabbit07
August 29th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Is it really programs then? I guess I'll go through synaptic trying to get rid of fluff. I can't believe programs can take up 5 gigs.

I added a screenshot of my System Monitor.

The guy above me probably has the best ways to fix that for ya. My system is all Ubuntu, so space isn't a problem.