PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is it safe to upgrade to Jaunty now?

EvanKroske
August 28th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Last time I upgraded to Jaunty, I destroyed my Linux installation and lost all my files. (Full account here (http://welcome2obscurity.blogspot.com/2009/05/jaunty-jackalope-released-vista-all.html).) Is Jaunty stable enough for me to upgrade yet? Is there a safer way to upgrade than using the update button? Thanks.

running_rabbit07
August 28th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Last time I upgraded to Jaunty, I destroyed my Linux installation and lost all my files. (Full account here (http://welcome2obscurity.blogspot.com/2009/05/jaunty-jackalope-released-vista-all.html).) Is Jaunty stable enough for me to upgrade yet? Is there a safer way to upgrade than using the update button? Thanks.

Has been for four months. Is your hardware ready for the upgrade?

stlsaint
August 28th, 2009, 10:38 PM
yea theres a safer way...dont do it!! just burn jaunty to a new disc and do a fresh install...backup your /home and just do a fresh install...sve your self ALOT of trouble!!!

EvanKroske
August 28th, 2009, 10:40 PM
yea theres a safer way...dont do it!! just burn jaunty to a new disc and do a fresh install...backup your /home and just do a fresh install...sve your self ALOT of trouble!!!
I've got a whole bunch of libraries and programs installed, many from source, so I'd rather not install fresh. However, I don't want my installation to become outdated.

running_rabbit07
August 28th, 2009, 10:44 PM
I've got a whole bunch of libraries and programs installed, many from source, so I'd rather not install fresh. However, I don't want my installation to become outdated.

You have more than 6 months before you stop receiving updates. Might as well wait.

Thanks for that Ubuntu bashing link. It isn't nice to ask for help and bash the community at the same time.

stlsaint
August 28th, 2009, 10:45 PM
hopefully rabbit will be able to help you out more as in updating etc as i have had alot of issues with upgrading!!

running_rabbit07
August 28th, 2009, 10:47 PM
hopefully rabbit will be able to help you out more as in updating etc as i have had alot of issues with upgrading!!

Me too. Every time I have updated with VBox it has crashed and it killed my lappy when I tried to upgrade it.

Karmic is looking great. The downside is that even to skip Jaunty you will have to clean install.

The next best way is to wait and upgrade to the LTS when Lusty comes out. That way you can skip Jaunty.

EvanKroske
August 28th, 2009, 10:51 PM
You have more than 6 months before you stop receiving updates. Might as well wait.

Thanks for that Ubuntu bashing link. It isn't nice to ask for help and bash the community at the same time.
I never said anything bad about the Ubuntu community. The response I received was truthful and helpful, even though my problem couldn't be fixed. My complaints were directed toward the aggressive marketing of Jaunty before the community even considered it stable. I love the Ubuntu community.

snowpine
August 28th, 2009, 10:52 PM
You should downgrade to Hardy Heron for maximum stability.

EvanKroske
August 28th, 2009, 10:59 PM
You should downgrade to Hardy Heron for maximum stability.
But is it safe to downgrade? Hmmm....

presence1960
August 29th, 2009, 03:33 AM
Unless I am mistaken anything installed manually (that is not from synaptic or apt-get CLI) will be rendered useless even during an upgrade.