PDA

View Full Version : Why is Ubuntu so fast?

viking_maniac
August 28th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Even if I run Windows XP in performance mode, and I do have a decent computer, Ubuntu is just lightning fast. It's like a brand new world from Windows. Internet goes fast too, websites opens in a fraction of a second. I've tried several Linux distributions, but Ubuntu is the fastest one. I'm just currious. :)

Hogosha
August 28th, 2009, 10:32 PM
because windows has a lot going on in the background that is taking up overhead. ununtu, not so much

Skripka
August 28th, 2009, 10:32 PM
It is the 14 gerbils running around in your computer now, after installing linux.

dragos240
August 28th, 2009, 10:35 PM
It is the 14 squirrels running around in your computer now, after installing linux.
Fixed that for you.

xuCGC002
August 28th, 2009, 10:36 PM
The collector and the timed switching device are incorporated in the nature of the bee-bees in brine. In conjunction with a magnetic field and the load, the Ubuntu kernel uses the hierarchical structure of the cosmos as a timer! The trilamination of the tiny spheres with selected metals and their subjection to a magnetic field and current (sustained by the load) destabilizes the orderliness of the proton, the heavier atom and the "tissue" of individual layers of metal. The matter then seeks to re-establish itself in the fractal set.

That should explain everything.

lisati
August 28th, 2009, 10:41 PM
That should explain everything.

Citation?

a.f.a.i.k. a big part of the difference between Windows & Ubuntu would be the design philosphy which includes giving greater freedom to the user-base to contribute. Although this might be possible with Windows it would be a lot harder, given the closed nature of its source code.

juancarlospaco
August 28th, 2009, 10:42 PM
This is the real performance of a computer running an up-to-date and well developed OS.

xuCGC002
August 28th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Citation?

Uncyclopedia.

EDIT: On topic,

Ubuntu uses much less resources for its background applications (which it has very few compared to Windows).

Skripka
August 28th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Fixed that for you.

Have you evar TRIED to squeeze 14 squirrels in an ATX mid-tower? That my friend is a sure fire way of ending up with a slow computer.

lisati
August 28th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Have you evar TRIED to squeeze 14 squirrels in an ATX mid-tower? That my friend is a sure fire way of ending up with a slow computer.

Now that the Kowhai tree (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kowhai) outside my back window is flowering I might be able to catch some more birds - assuming I'm not too busy perusing the forums, razzing spammers or tending to domestic chores. I'm not aware of any squirrels in the area.

something132
August 28th, 2009, 10:56 PM
It is the 1400 space monkey bytes running around in your computer now, after installing linux.

fixed your statement

Marflus
August 28th, 2009, 11:04 PM

Who mentioned a tower case? I have that setup in my laptop, and it still seems zippy on most applications to me. I think the squirrels speed up the thing, if anything.

Sealbhach
August 28th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Fixed that for you.

Here's an image of some of those squirrels: http://imgur.com/jdz0J.jpg

amendt
August 28th, 2009, 11:19 PM
It doesn't the Microsoft option to get viruses.

juancarlospaco
August 28th, 2009, 11:21 PM
It doesn't the Microsoft option to get viruses.

Its not a Bug, its a Feature...
Lots of people running Virus and dont know that.
:)

Ric_NYC
August 28th, 2009, 11:27 PM
The speed of Ubuntu is one of the things that keep me using it.

Stan_1936
August 28th, 2009, 11:35 PM
because Ubuntu is the greatest of all time!

Grifulkin
August 28th, 2009, 11:39 PM
I heard Arch is faster. That's what you get from building from scratch.

Stan_1936
August 28th, 2009, 11:41 PM
As with all threads on UBUNTUforums.org, this conversation will soon levitate in the direction of Ubuntu vs Arch.

Crunchy the Headcrab
August 28th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Lots of other distros are faster. It's not really fair to give Ubuntu credit for how fast the the components load, since they didn't create most of them.

Stan_1936
August 28th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Lots of other distros are faster.....

Which would you say is faster: Xubuntu or Fedora's XFCE spin(Fedora 11 32-bit)?

Grifulkin
August 29th, 2009, 12:20 AM
I heard that Arch is where it's at. I also heard it had two turntables and a microphone.

running_rabbit07
August 29th, 2009, 12:22 AM
It is the 14 Lemmings running around in your computer now, after installing linux.

I fixed it right :P

I heard that Arch is where it's at. I also heard it had two turntables and a microphone.

And if you put 2 Arches together you will have a happy meal. If you have a cup of Ubuntu you can get things done really fast.

RiceMonster
August 29th, 2009, 12:23 AM

It doesn't have two turntables and a microphone, but it does have tacoes.

la boom
August 29th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Microsoft Vista/Windows 7 take up over 25GB on the HDD.

Cuuurazy

Tipped OuT
August 29th, 2009, 12:33 AM
Ubuntu is actually slower then Windows XP for me. Especially when it comes to flash.

I don't know though, maybe I just need a new computer. *sigh*

inobe
August 29th, 2009, 12:50 AM
i don't know' a fresh install of xp is pretty fast' i guess it has a lot to do with what one already mentioned.

over time it needs to be manually maintained to keep up the speed unless a lot of stuff isn't be added or removed and there isn't ten toolbars going with unknown processes.

DigitalDuality
August 29th, 2009, 02:17 AM
I heard Arch is faster. That's what you get from building from scratch.

it most definitely is. Gentoo even faster than that if you become any good at the install and tweaking process.

using window managers and small low resource apps helps a ton too (wmii, rtorrent, irssi/bitlbee, mpd, etc..)

DigitalDuality
August 29th, 2009, 02:18 AM
Ubuntu is actually slower then Windows XP for me. Especially when it comes to flash.

I don't know though, maybe I just need a new computer. *sigh*

flash performance in linux is overall slower than windows.

tgalati4
August 29th, 2009, 02:27 AM
slitaz.org is fast.

running_rabbit07
August 29th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Why is Ubuntu so fast?

Because the devs have nitrous in their blood!