PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS X 10.6 was just released.

schauerlich
August 28th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Is it just me, or does Safari seem snappier?

dragos240
August 28th, 2009, 09:07 PM
It's just you. Sorry, that was begging to be posted.

tubezninja
August 28th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Safari seems snappier!

Also: I gained 20GB of hard drive space in upgrading. Cleaner code = win.

schauerlich
August 28th, 2009, 09:09 PM
It's just you. Sorry, that was begging to be posted.

"Safari seems snappier" is a long running injoke in the Mac community. Whenever there's a software update, someone seems claims that Safari is "snappier". Placebo effect and whatnot.

dragos240
August 28th, 2009, 09:10 PM
"Safari seems snappier" is a long running injoke in the Mac community. Whenever there's a software update, someone seems claims that Safari is "snappier". Placebo effect and whatnot.

Gotcha.

tubezninja
August 28th, 2009, 09:10 PM
http://scaredpoet.com/images/forums/safariseemssnappier.png

schauerlich
August 28th, 2009, 09:11 PM
http://scaredpoet.com/images/forums/safariseemssnappier.png

Safari: NOW WITH 20% MOAR SNAP!

HappinessNow
August 28th, 2009, 09:20 PM
It's raining today for the first time in like 3 months,...safari snappier, cool!

Skripka
August 28th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Safari: NOW WITH 20% MOAR SNAP!

If only they could get the damn compass needle to point in the right direction, now...

KiwiNZ
August 28th, 2009, 10:07 PM
grrrrrrrrr my copies of Snow Leopard are still in the Couriers Warehouse

Don't they know I am not good at waiting :(

Giant Speck
August 28th, 2009, 10:20 PM
You know, I've been thinking more and more about installing OS X on my laptop, and now that I hear that Safari is EVEN SNAPPIER (!!!), I want to try it even more.

koshatnik
August 28th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Buying it tomorrow. If it doesnt make my Macbook exactly 22% quicker IM COMING AFTER YOU JOBS WITH A RUSTY BREADKNIFE....

(I'll be happy with true 64bit performance from LightRoom).

DeadSuperHero
August 28th, 2009, 10:33 PM
It almost makes me want a Mac, until I look at Macbook prices. Then I remember I'm a college student with no job, lock myself in my room, and cry.

koshatnik
August 28th, 2009, 10:41 PM
It almost makes me want a Mac, until I look at Macbook prices. Then I remember I'm a college student with no job, lock myself in my room, and cry.

Just steal one from one of the many media idiots that you can find in most cafes in the world. Walk up to them, ask them about their stupid iphone, and whilst they are showing you an app that can predict when you're about to break wind, or someting else equally dumb and useless, swipe the macbook and walk out the door. They wont notice because they'll be still talking about their stupid phone.

Skripka
August 28th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Just steal one from one of the many media idiots that you can find in most cafes in the world. Walk up to them, ask them about their stupid iphone, and whilst they are showing you an app that can predict when you're about to break wind, or someting else equally dumb and useless, swipe the macbook and walk out the door. They wont notice because they'll be still talking about their stupid phone.

It is funny because it is true...

hanzomon4
August 28th, 2009, 10:59 PM

Ahahaha!!!! :lolflag:

jrusso2
August 29th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Steve Jobs is a genius !

schauerlich
August 29th, 2009, 12:31 AM
I've had some issues with Time Machine, but I've got a new external hard drive. I'm going to buy Snow Leopard sometime in the next couple days, backup and do a clean install/time machine recovery.

Tipped OuT
August 29th, 2009, 12:38 AM
I think Snow Leopard is going in the right direction. Take a break from adding new features, and take the time to improve on the features that already exist.

Maybe Ubuntu should start doing that. Just take a break from adding new features and such, and use all of the time to fix bugs, improve performance, and widen support.

RATM_Owns
August 29th, 2009, 01:18 AM
I might have to get it. I need the snappiness.

kernelhaxor
August 29th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Not interested in getting it .. Still on 10.5.8

RiceMonster
August 29th, 2009, 01:26 AM
My friend just upgraded to leopard a month ago.

Already out of date haha. Apparently this updates a lot less expensive though?

schauerlich
August 29th, 2009, 01:59 AM
My friend just upgraded to leopard a month ago.

Already out of date haha. Apparently this updates a lot less expensive though?

Leopard was released in October 2007. Seems he was late to the game.

This upgrade is $29 as opposed to the former $129.

KiwiNZ
August 29th, 2009, 02:02 AM
I've had some issues with Time Machine, but I've got a new external hard drive. I'm going to buy Snow Leopard sometime in the next couple days, backup and do a clean install/time machine recovery.

What issues have had with Time machine? My experience with it is very good . Totally set and forget.

schauerlich
August 29th, 2009, 02:06 AM
What issues have had with Time machine? My experience with it is very good . Totally set and forget.

It wasn't so much an issue with Time Machine. I was backing up to a 100GB partition on a disk, with the rest of the disk used for storage (not the same data, obviously, and all stuff I didn't care about too much). When I filled up the 100GB, I tried to shuffle the partitions around, and even though it appeared to have succeeded on Windows (the partitions I was manipulating were NTFS), neither OS X nor GParted recognized the new partitions. Since I can still read it from windows, I'm moving that data over to its own hard drive, and I'm growing the Time Machine partition to use the rest of the space.

Katalog
August 29th, 2009, 02:16 AM

Don't feel too bad, I don't think you're missing out on a whole lot (and no, that is not a flame - I was formerly a strictly Mac user and still have a MacBook in the house). OS X is awful purdy, but I've found there isn't an whole lot that I can't do on Ubuntu that I was doing on my Mac. Just be patient, college won't last forever and one of these days you'll eventually be able to afford that MacBook you're longing for. Speaking of college, doesn't Apple give students some pretty significant discounts?

Skripka
August 29th, 2009, 02:40 AM
Don't feel too bad, I don't think you're missing out on a whole lot (and no, that is not a flame - I was formerly a strictly Mac user and still have a MacBook in the house). OS X is awful purdy, but I've found there isn't an whole lot that I can't do on Ubuntu that I was doing on my Mac. Just be patient, college won't last forever and one of these days you'll eventually be able to afford that MacBook you're longing for. Speaking of college, doesn't Apple give students some pretty significant discounts?

They do...but they aren't much in the grand scheme of things. A $2300 computer being sold for $1999 is still a $2000 computer.

In all honesty-the only thing that my Powerbook I computed on for 4 years had on that none of my subsequent computers did not have was a shiny anodized aluminum case. OSX is pretty, but completely uncustomizable, even in comparison to Windows much less Linux.

hanzomon4
August 29th, 2009, 02:48 AM

My school has a special discount. It also comes with a lot of extras so it ends up costing a bit more but the price of the laptop is like $230 cheaper then the standard edu discount. This is the current package

• Apple MacBook Pro
• 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
• 4GB RAM
• 320GB Hard Drive
• Double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
• 15-inch widescreen glossy LED-backlit display, backlit keyboard

• Airport Extreme card and Bluetooth
• SD card slot
• Built-in 7-hour battery
• NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT graphics controller with 256MB RAM

• 3-year AppleCare Protection Plan
• Verbatim 250GB portable FireWire hard drive
• FireWire adapter cable
• 5-foot CAT6 Ethernet cable
• Targus Spruce EcoSmart messenger laptop bag

comes to about $2300

MikeTheC
August 29th, 2009, 02:51 AM
I'm showing a Sept. 1 delivery date when I check the status on my order, KiwiNZ, so don't feel too bad. You're not alone!

Is it just me, or does UbuntuForums now suddenly feel snappier?

Giant Speck
August 29th, 2009, 04:31 AM
I'm showing a Sept. 1 delivery date when I check the status on my order, KiwiNZ, so don't feel too bad. You're not alone!

Is it just me, or does UbuntuForums now suddenly feel snappier?

Are you browsing it in Safari? If so, then yes.

Frak
August 29th, 2009, 05:04 AM
Got mine from the local Apple Store. Safari seems snappier. This must be one hell of an update.

In other news, Time Machine is telling me my Drobo is corrupted.

schauerlich
August 29th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Just installed it. Safari is super mega uber snappier. One bad thing, though: No iStat Menus for Snow Leopard just yet. How am I supposed to get my stat pr0n in my menu bar?

EDIT: is it just me, or does it seem like they turned up the default contrast? The colors seem brighter.

koshatnik
August 29th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Won't be getting mine til Tuesday now. So, whats the general feeling, Safari apart? :) Is it worth the upgrade?

%hMa@?b<C
August 29th, 2009, 02:58 PM
I'm not really (at all) a mac fan, but I'm trying to convince my brother to get it just so he can experience the snappier safari on his macbook. My new thinkpad will have none of this.

bodyharvester
August 29th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Just installed it. Safari is super mega uber snappier. One bad thing, though: No iStat Menus for Snow Leopard just yet. How am I supposed to get my stat pr0n in my menu bar?

EDIT: is it just me, or does it seem like they turned up the default contrast? The colors seem brighter.

they made the contrast snappier to wow you

Cenotaph
August 29th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Snow Leopard is not that much of an exciting release. I think once Windows 7 comes out to the public, Apple might suffer a bit.

schauerlich
August 29th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Found another poo-poo: All of my plugins for irssi broke. :|

NormanFLinux
August 29th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I have a PPC Mac Mini so I am out of luck.

Frak
August 29th, 2009, 09:35 PM
I have a PPC Mac Mini so I am out of luck.
I have a PPC G4 and two PPC G5's. Those are out of luck. Good luck for my only Intel Mac (which runs like crap compared to my G5's).

NormanFLinux
August 29th, 2009, 09:45 PM
That's why they stripped out the PPC support. But Leopard is going to be supported on PPCs for years. Snow Leopard offers improvements for Apple's Intel Macs. Nothing exciting here.

Katalog
August 30th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Just installed it. Safari is super mega uber snappier.

Sounds like this may bode well for the impending transition of the Linux browsers that are transitioning to Webkit if Safari is really that much faster. I've noticed recent releases of Midori have been super quick at rendering pages as well.

MikeTheC
August 30th, 2009, 03:32 AM
In all seriousness, I can hardly wait for Snow Leopard. My plan is to back up the various odd bits of data on my MBP that aren't already backed up, then nuke it with the recovery disc, and then do the SL upgrade on the (relatively) clean MBP.

I was really hoping it would have shipped Thursday for Friday delivery, as I have school and so getting to nuke my MBP will have to get scheduled in amongst everything else.

MikeTheC
August 30th, 2009, 03:47 AM
Sounds like this may bode well for the impending transition of the Linux browsers that are transitioning to Webkit if Safari is really that much faster. I've noticed recent releases of Midori have been super quick at rendering pages as well.

Hmm...

Well, I doubt Mozilla will transition -- at least any time soon -- from Gecko to Webkit. I think that, for Gecko's long-term viability, it's going to need to be somewhat more streamlined and cleaned up. That being said, however, I believe competition of ideas and implementations in the web browser space is a very healthy thing. We'll just have to just wait and see where this goes, I guess.

Now, all of that being said, take a look at how fast Chrome, for instance, is in Windows and wrapped in a CrossoverOffice runtime for Mac OS X. There's no question it's the winner for web page rendering times. If Google can figure out how to include the capability for plug-ins, and if perhaps they can make Chrome Firefox-plugin compatible, then Firefox is going to have some very significant competition and will doubtless see some degree of userbase erosion. That's normal with any business, service, product or application. What it may mean for Firefox's longevity long-term, I don't think anyone really knows.

Again, competition is a good thing. The more real and serious competition we can have against Internet Explorer, the better for everyone.

Frak
August 30th, 2009, 03:51 AM
MikeTheC is correct. I have no doubt that if it wasn't for the multitude of plugins available for Firefox, or the inability for Chrome to use said plugins, Firefox would turn into an orphaned project overnight. (Figuratively speaking)

schauerlich
August 30th, 2009, 05:50 AM

"Safari is snappier" is an injoke in the Mac community. Every time there's an update there's someone who just swears that Safari is TOTALLY faster than it was before. Even if the update had nothing to do with Safari.

Frak
August 30th, 2009, 05:51 AM
"Safari is snappier" is an injoke in the Mac community. Every time there's an update there's someone who just swears that Safari is TOTALLY faster than it was before. Even if the update had nothing to do with Safari.
Heh, I always like it when my iTunes library seems to play SO MUCH UBER BETTER than it did 5 minutes ago when I got the last update.

raisen
August 30th, 2009, 06:20 AM
I'm new on Macs. Do you guys upgrade your systems or do a clean install?

Frak
August 30th, 2009, 06:27 AM
I'm new on Macs. Do you guys upgrade your systems or do a clean install?
Clean

Mac seems to act like Ubuntu when I try to upgrade:

BREAK EVERYTHING IN SIGHT

so I just backup and clean install.

Giant Speck
August 30th, 2009, 06:57 AM

I upgraded my iPhone to 3.0.1 today. Mobile Safari seemed SO MUCH SNAPPIER!

schauerlich
August 30th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Perl and irssi do not want to play nice. Getting along with Colloquy until I can reinstall irssi...

Frak
August 30th, 2009, 07:09 AM
I upgraded my iPhone to 3.0.1 today. Mobile Safari seemed SO MUCH SNAPPIER!
Orly?

Giant Speck
August 30th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Orly?

Yarly. And it turns out that I've been missing cool new versions of my bank's app and Facebook.

Frak
August 30th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Yarly. And it turns out that I've been missing cool new versions of my bank's app and Facebook.
"Wait, no, deposit, Deposit, DEPOSIT, NOOOOO!"

^^Slippery finger :P

Giant Speck
August 30th, 2009, 07:30 AM
"Wait, no, deposit, Deposit, DEPOSIT, NOOOOO!"

^^Slippery finger :P

I can deposit checks using the camera on my phone. ^_^

Exodist
August 30th, 2009, 08:14 AM
I was wondering if I even should get the latest for my eMac. 1GHz PPC with only 512MB ram. Can put a 1GB in there.. IDK.. Only reason havent put Ubuntu on it is AdobeFlash. My wife would be pissed if she couldnt get into Farmville!

hellmet
August 30th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Safari seems snappier!

I hope you are joking about the 20GB.

schauerlich
August 30th, 2009, 12:02 PM
I hope you are joking about the 20GB.

I'll believe it. But it's not just cleaner code that's helping reclaim space: <10.6 used to install a bunch of printer/camera/device drivers by default at installation time, as well as Rosetta (An emulation layer for running PPC-only apps). In addition, each application was a "Universal binary", meaning it had a binary for both Intel and PPC inside the .app package. A lot of the free space comes from cutting out the drivers, Rosetta, and making the Universal binaries Intel-only.

gjoellee
August 30th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Apple has more snap now! :P

koshatnik
August 30th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Is anyone able to say if it is making things run faster, as Apple claim?

schauerlich
August 30th, 2009, 12:10 PM

I've noticed an improvement. Much Snappier™

gjoellee
August 30th, 2009, 12:10 PM

As apps are snappier, then yes things run faster...

koshatnik
August 30th, 2009, 12:13 PM
As apps are snappier, then yes things run faster...

Yeah, but what does snappier mean? I was wondering if someone has actually tried doing something proper on their macbooks (asking alot I know), like audio/video encoding or batch processing photos? Is that quicker?

schauerlich
August 30th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Yeah, but what does snappier mean? I was wondering if someone has actually tried doing something proper on their macbooks (asking alot I know), like audio/video encoding or batch processing photos? Is that quicker?

"Snappier" means "Responds to user input quicker". Being snappier and being faster at long laborious tasks like video encoding are different ballparks.

koshatnik
August 30th, 2009, 01:13 PM
"Snappier" means "Responds to user input quicker".

Lost in translation.

I was making a point that snappier is an ambiguous term. :)

Being snappier and being faster at long laborious tasks like video encoding are different ballparks.

That's why I'm asking. Anyone?

Katalog
August 30th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Hmm...

Well, I doubt Mozilla will transition -- at least any time soon -- from Gecko to Webkit. I think that, for Gecko's long-term viability, it's going to need to be somewhat more streamlined and cleaned up. That being said, however, I believe competition of ideas and implementations in the web browser space is a very healthy thing. We'll just have to just wait and see where this goes, I guess.

I was referring more to Epiphany than to the Mozilla browsers. I also seriously doubt Firefox or Seamonkey will ever transition, but you never know. But Epiphany has officially dropped Gecko and the next version you'll see in the repos when Karmic is released will be entirely Webkit, and with a few more features than the old Epiphany as well. The daily builds of the Webkit version look extremely promising, much quicker and they have (finally) gotten most, if not all, Epiphany extensions ported over now.

I apologize for interrupting your OS X discussion with Linux talk (again). Sorry.:redface:

Perfect Storm
August 30th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Apple has more snap now! :P

http://www.imageviper.com/displayimage/143050/0/k_group-scp91.jpg

szadek_
August 30th, 2009, 10:26 PM
I really like how apple upgrade things to be more 10% better , and sell it like it this the next revolution ...

Not much difference between a win user and a mac user ... at all .

Think different ... but the same .

Well ... snappier is snappier , yeahhh cool .

koshatnik
August 30th, 2009, 10:53 PM
I really like how apple upgrade things to be more 10% better , and sell it like it this the next revolution ...

Not much difference between a win user and a mac user ... at all .

Think different ... but the same .

Well ... snappier is snappier , yeahhh cool .

THanks for that contribution - anyone actually got anything practical and informed to say on the upgrade?

RabbitWho
August 31st, 2009, 12:00 AM
Safari seems snappier!

!? How big is the OS?

perce
August 31st, 2009, 12:02 AM
Just steal one from one of the many media idiots that you can find in most cafes in the world.

In North America. In the rest of the world people don't bring their laptops in cafes, and especially not macs.

Frak
August 31st, 2009, 02:08 AM
!? How big is the OS?
The extra PowerPC binaries were nearly doubling the amount of space each install took up.

Though, 20GB is a very large number. I saw only about 7-8.

hanzomon4
August 31st, 2009, 02:32 AM
The extra PowerPC binaries were nearly doubling the amount of space each install took up.

Though, 20GB is a very large number. I saw only about 7-8.

I really need this... I want to grow my Kubuntu partition

Tipped OuT
August 31st, 2009, 03:01 AM
http://www.imageviper.com/displayimage/143050/0/k_group-scp91.jpg

lol

KiwiNZ
August 31st, 2009, 03:42 AM
Just installed Snow Leopard on my MacBook Pro. Safari now opens so fast it opens before I click on it :P

Seriously though , it installed with out issue and runs very smoothly. I like some of the small tweaks like the improvement to stacks and the preview re sizer.

A nice up grade

koshatnik
August 31st, 2009, 11:32 AM
In North America. In the rest of the world people don't bring their laptops in cafes, and especially not macs.

You obviously not been to the UK then.

koshatnik
August 31st, 2009, 11:34 AM
Just installed Snow Leopard on my MacBook Pro. Safari now opens so fast it opens before I click on it :P

Seriously though , it installed with out issue and runs very smoothly. I like some of the small tweaks like the improvement to stacks and the preview re sizer.

A nice up grade

Did you do a clean upstall or upgrade from Leopard?

If a clean install, do you need the other disks for the install (previous iterations of OSX)? (I would imagine so but I'm just asking to be clear).

Thanks

schauerlich
August 31st, 2009, 11:37 AM
I did a clean install. It worked fine without needing the old disks.

koshatnik
August 31st, 2009, 12:14 PM
I did a clean install. It worked fine without needing the old disks.

Cool, thankyou. Ok, next question - my OSX files are all backed up on timemachine. If I do a clean install how does that work with timemachine, as that backs up everything, old OS settings and all. Won't it just restore my previous old version of OSX lock, stock and barrel?

szadek_
August 31st, 2009, 04:44 PM
THanks for that contribution - anyone actually got anything practical and informed to say on the upgrade?

Im sorry my friend if i didn't gave you the answer you need ... i just expressed my opinion on Apple marketing and it's users ...

=)

juancarlospaco
August 31st, 2009, 05:37 PM
Why this Snappier™ Distro are so expensive?,
why these Snappier™ Computers are so expensive?
i font feel that is so Snappier™ than they said

decoherence
August 31st, 2009, 06:31 PM
Doesn't run on my PowerPC XServe. Three years of upgradability for a server is pathetic.

I know, I know: Nobody cares about OS X Server.

khelben1979
August 31st, 2009, 07:35 PM
I experience everything which relates to Mac OS X as quite uninteresting. Big and popular applications for Mac OS X is just insanely heavy on the hardware from what I've seen and this was on modern hardware earlier this year.

Why bother with MacOS X when you have Linux?

cprofitt
August 31st, 2009, 07:52 PM
Safari seems snappier!

Its not so much 'cleaner code' as it is removal of printer drivers and support for non-Intel processors.

KiwiNZ
August 31st, 2009, 08:10 PM
Did you do a clean upstall or upgrade from Leopard?

If a clean install, do you need the other disks for the install (previous iterations of OSX)? (I would imagine so but I'm just asking to be clear).

Thanks
Clean install and no , the old Leopard disc's are safely tucked away in the safe

koshatnik
August 31st, 2009, 08:10 PM

This must be the single dumbest question asked on this forum. Ok, maybe not, but its up there. And it always gets asked whenever an Apple thread pops up.

Answer: Applications.

ts not so much 'cleaner code' as it is removal of printer drivers and support for non-Intel processors.

Ain't that the truth. Uninstalling all the printer drivers alone from Leopard freed up 3 gigs of HDD space.

KiwiNZ
August 31st, 2009, 08:16 PM

Its called choice;)

schauerlich
August 31st, 2009, 08:18 PM
Cool, thankyou. Ok, next question - my OSX files are all backed up on timemachine. If I do a clean install how does that work with timemachine, as that backs up everything, old OS settings and all. Won't it just restore my previous old version of OSX lock, stock and barrel?

Once you install Snow Leopard and boot it up for the first time, it will ask if you have another Mac to transfer data from it. One of the options will be something like "Transfer data from Time Machine backup". Migration Assistant is smart enough to move back the stuff you want without overwriting the new stuff in Snow Leopard. I've had a few issues with stuff that I've compiled manually (like irssi - using colloquy for the time being), but otherwise everything has worked as expected.

koshatnik
August 31st, 2009, 08:23 PM
Once you install Snow Leopard and boot it up for the first time, it will ask if you have another Mac to transfer data from it. One of the options will be something like "Transfer data from Time Machine backup". Migration Assistant is smart enough to move back the stuff you want without overwriting the new stuff in Snow Leopard. I've had a few issues with stuff that I've compiled manually (like irssi - using colloquy for the time being), but otherwise everything has worked as expected.

Thanks man, thats good to know - so installed applications and data will be transfered?

schauerlich
August 31st, 2009, 08:25 PM
Thanks man, thats good to know - so installed applications and data will be transfered?

Yes.

Frak
August 31st, 2009, 09:27 PM
Doesn't run on my PowerPC XServe. Three years of upgradability for a server is pathetic.

I know, I know: Nobody cares about OS X Server.
I have 5 XServe's on a rack that I bought in 2005 that won't work with Snow Leopard.

I installed NetBSD on them instead.

malcam
September 1st, 2009, 12:27 AM
Its not so much 'cleaner code' as it is removal of printer drivers and support for non-Intel processors.
I imagine the switch to SI GBs will "free" up some space too.