PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I would like to make an apology about Gnome and the default Ubuntu desktop...

hoppipolla
August 28th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Yeah, it's pretty nice to use ._.

There I said it!!! lol

Mr KDE! Oh Mr "loves his KDE 4.3"... admits Gnome/Ubuntu is very enjoyable to sit at :)

It's just... it is very pleasing and simple, even without the desktop effects and stuff, i have to admit! I also find it very calming, and I love the integration like the way pidgin statuses pop up in the top right in your User Switch Applet, that really is very cool :)

I think it's still just essential we put together a desktop that can compete with (or preferably thoroughly exceed) the aesthetic standards of 7 and Snow Leopard, but yeah I can see the appeal of the straight, current Ubuntu desktop :)

For now, this is what I am using :) I am using Pidgin instead of Kopete, Banshee instead of Amarok, etc. For the moment, I think the Gnome counterparts are better but I reckon now that the 4.x branch of KDE is more stable we will see an increase in support for the apps it uses, and their quality will consequently improve.

But yes anyway I digress - great desktop, I will enjoy using both in the future! ^_^

Hoppiiii! ^_^

EDIT -- Sorry, the apology is that I really had a go at it in the past and I am now backtracking a little and saying sorry for being so harsh! hehe :)

dragos240
August 28th, 2009, 08:29 PM
:) - *Adds tag 'not an apology thread'*

hoppipolla
August 28th, 2009, 10:26 PM
wow i expected a few more posts than that! lol :)

it was a cool little discovery for me rofl

Screwdriver0815
August 28th, 2009, 10:39 PM
I also have to do some apology...

after I found out that sharing a folder over the network in KDE just sucks like ****. Because it doesn't work.

In Gnome, its 2 mouseclicks...

but anyway, I still like KDE very much and when it doesn't share the folders, two gnome computers have to do the sharing then.

xuCGC002
August 28th, 2009, 10:42 PM
If your KDE testimonials are from Kubuntu, you might want to rethink everything. Try Mandriva, it's a much better KDE experience.

hanzomon4
August 28th, 2009, 10:53 PM
I am mirror you

Screwdriver0815
August 28th, 2009, 10:55 PM
If your KDE testimonials are from Kubuntu, you might want to rethink everything. Try Mandriva, it's a much better KDE experience.

I have tested Mandriva for 3 months or so. And I say: its package manager just sucks. This thing lives in "dependency hell" and loves to sit in this hellfire and to scream to your face "dependency could not be resolved"...

and I don't like the mixture of the Gnome and KDE icons.

Kubuntu is much nicer, in my eyes.

MikeTheC
August 28th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Well, as a Gnome user and as an American, I would like to deeply and humbly apologize to the rest of the world for:

Rap (which is not music)
Microsoft
Software patents
Star Wars Episodes I, II and III
NWO wrestling (or, for that matter, any form of non-grecko-roman wrestling)
The Goth and Emo movements
Miley Cyus/Hannah Montanna
Britney Spears
Michael Jackson
The New Math
Tang
Nescafe, Sanka, Folgers Instant, and any other Instant Coffee
NuBSG, New Knight Rider, etc...

Screwdriver0815
August 28th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Well, as a Gnome user and as an American, I would like to deeply and humbly apologize to the rest of the world for:

Rap (which is not music)
Microsoft
Software patents
Britney Spears
Michael Jackson
The New Math
Tang

okay, I forgive you :lolflag: but you forgot

- Mac Guyver
- Mac Donalds
- Burger King
- Steve Jobs and his lifestyle followers

:D

:biggrin:

so could you please apologise for them too? :biggrin:

BuffaloX
August 28th, 2009, 11:46 PM
I think it's still just essential we put together a desktop that can compete with (or preferably thoroughly exceed) the aesthetic standards of 7 and Snow Leopard

I want true 3D desktop, everything buttons, icons, gadgets and windows should be 3D objects.
Animated effects for everything like hover, select, activate etc.
Quality should be comparable to a good ray-trace. :)

No more "Lightweight" apps, which we have tons of already.

Only problem: YOU make it. :P

@MikeTheC:
Apology accepted. ;)

jrusso2
August 29th, 2009, 12:15 AM
I also have to do some apology...

after I found out that sharing a folder over the network in KDE just sucks like ****. Because it doesn't work.

In Gnome, its 2 mouseclicks...

but anyway, I still like KDE very much and when it doesn't share the folders, two gnome computers have to do the sharing then.

File sharing doesn't work in KDE? Guess I will have to tell my two KDE systems they don't seem to know that and are sharing anyway.:P

MasterNetra
August 29th, 2009, 12:21 AM

- Mac Guyver
- Mac Donalds
- Burger King

What self-respecting American would apologise for Mac Guyver! I sure as heck ain't! :p

madjr
August 29th, 2009, 03:31 AM
luv mcguyver

best thing eva is myth busters + survivorman in 1

geekygirl
August 29th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Well, in that case...as an Australian I would like to apologise for Fosters Lager, the Australian Test Cricket Team, Olivia Newton John, and Kevin Rudd.

Viva
August 29th, 2009, 05:37 AM
As an Indian, I would like to apologize for IPL

geekygirl
August 29th, 2009, 05:39 AM
As an Indian, I would like to apologize for IPL

:lolflag:

don't be sorry how else do old retired Aussie players make money? :p

TheNosh
August 29th, 2009, 05:53 AM
I want true 3D desktop, everything buttons, icons, gadgets and windows should be 3D objects.
Animated effects for everything like hover, select, activate etc.
Quality should be comparable to a good ray-trace. :)

No more "Lightweight" apps, which we have tons of already.

i like lightweight apps, but for what you want i think lg3d is a step in the right direction. it's not exactly what you described but it's the closest that exists so far i think in terms of 3D.

you can get animated mouse themes from gnome-look.

animations for just about everything would be e17, but that's not 3d and has no compositing. however elive devs have been working on having e17 work with compiz so you may want to check that out too.

cheers

hoppipolla
August 29th, 2009, 08:36 AM
i like lightweight apps, but for what you want i think lg3d is a step in the right direction. it's not exactly what you described but it's the closest that exists so far i think in terms of 3D.

animations for just about everything would be e17, but that's not 3d and has no compositing. however elive devs have been working on having e17 work with compiz so you may want to check that out too.

cheers

Good suggestions man but I thought he was being sarcastic wasnt he? I might be wrong but MAN if he was i hate those kind of arguments ._. they are counter-productive and i feel they completely miss the point ._.

Anyway yeah I like the way this has become like an apologies thread lol

Being British I would like to apologize for... ok we would be here a WHILE! lol :)

TheNosh
August 29th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Good suggestions man but I thought he was being sarcastic wasnt he? I might be wrong but MAN if he was i hate those kind of arguments ._. they are counter-productive and i feel they completely miss the point ._.

correction: they are productive towards a different end, and do not suit your point. (or mine for that matter, but thats not the point)

while i frankly don't care too much for 3d (at the moment... i sorta flip-flop on the issue a lot:p) it's still important to realize that different people love it. to some it's a top priority and they are entitled to their opinions.

RabbitWho
August 29th, 2009, 09:00 AM
oh I love kubuntu, if it didn't crash every 10 minutes and give me cheek every time i tried to do even the simplest thing through the gui then I would still be on it.

It couldn't even tell the time without me having to look up what I needed to put in the terminal. Everything can tell the time. Thousand year old clocks.. everything.

TheNosh
August 29th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Everything can tell the time. Thousand year old clocks.. everything.

Sandals can't.

hanzomon4
August 29th, 2009, 09:07 AM
As a TMNT fan I apologize for that awful live action tv show on fox a while back. It won't happen again I promise..

EDIT: Oh and as an American sorry about unleashing Palin.. that was a slappable offense.

Screwdriver0815
August 29th, 2009, 09:52 AM
File sharing doesn't work in KDE? Guess I will have to tell my two KDE systems they don't seem to know that and are sharing anyway.:P

also in this way, that you can copy a file onto the kde-machine via samba and so on (= not just read-only)?

If so: how? can you tell me a solution? :redface: :)

hoppipolla
August 29th, 2009, 10:24 AM
correction: they are productive towards a different end, and do not suit your point. (or mine for that matter, but thats not the point)

while i frankly don't care too much for 3d (at the moment... i sorta flip-flop on the issue a lot:p) it's still important to realize that different people love it. to some it's a top priority and they are entitled to their opinions.

Owh no no I didnt mean that! I love cool stuff and 3D desktops! What I meant was by him saying "well if you want this stuff so much then YOU code it.." its silly because a) Im only one man and could never code all that and b) there are whole teams of individuals all working on this stuff, its much more productive just to join one.

If open source all relied on me coding an entire desktop environment, I would be very worried and probably switch OSs! lol

TheNosh
August 29th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Owh no no I didnt mean that! I love cool stuff and 3D desktops! What I meant was by him saying "well if you want this stuff so much then YOU code it.." its silly because a) Im only one man and could never code all that and b) there are whole teams of individuals all working on this stuff, its much more productive just to join one.

If open source all relied on me coding an entire desktop environment, I would be very worried and probably switch OSs! lol

oh, yea. that i agree with. sorry i misunderstood you.

hobo14
August 29th, 2009, 11:05 AM

Rap (which is not music)
Microsoft
Software patents
Britney Spears
Michael Jackson
The New Math
Tang

Isn't Nescafe Swiss?

Screwdriver0815
August 29th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Isn't Nescafe Swiss?

yeah, its swiss and the germans used it in WW2 for the bomber pilots to keep them awake.

so I also have something to apologise for

BuffaloX
August 29th, 2009, 12:00 PM

cheers

Thanks, completely forgotten about Project Looking Glass, but unfortunately it seems to be going nowhere, I checked it out a couple of years ago, and it seems absolutely nothing has happened in the meantime. And is Java really a good development platform for a 3D Desktop?
The most cool thing about Looking Glass is that it offers a 3D API for the DE. For true 3D desktop this is a MUST.

e17 looks pretty, but no compositor is a killer, Compiz will of course fix that, maybe sometime in the future.

For now it seems Gnome with Compiz-Fusion is the option with the most features.

Anyway yeah I like the way this has become like an apologies thread lol

Being British I would like to apologize for... ok we would be here a WHILE! lol :)

I was NOT sarcastic.
A good OS should be able to utilize common hardware features.
3D is a common hardware feature, which was completely ignored for many years.
Compiz is a huge step forward, but it only goes halfway.

The comment "You make it" was probably the reason you thought it was sarcastic, but that's because I can't.
I would be happy to make suggestions to such a project, but ideas are cheap and easy, coding and art and actually making it working in a coherent way, is the hard part.

BuffaloX
August 29th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Isn't Nescafe Swiss?

Doesn't matter just blame the Americans.
It's easier and in fashion, and they are used to it by now.

TheNosh
August 29th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Thanks, completely forgotten about Project Looking Glass, but unfortunately it seems to be going nowhere, I checked it out a couple of years ago, and it seems absolutely nothing has happened in the meantime. And is Java really a good development platform for a 3D Desktop?
The most cool thing about Looking Glass is that it offers a 3D API for the DE. For true 3D desktop this is a MUST.

yea, the development isn't going anywhere it seems and that's a shame. however as i said it still seems to be the closest to what where talking about, it does seem to be the only DE with a 3D API as far as i know.

e17 looks pretty, but no compositor is a killer, Compiz will of course fix that, maybe sometime in the future.

or now if that fits your schedule ;)

http://www.ghacks.net/2009/02/20/ecomorph-e17-coolest-desktop-ever/

hoppipolla
August 29th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Sorry BuffaloX for misunderstanding your post there, I was actually fully with you throughout it until I read the last bit and I was like "was he just being sarcastic? :o" lol

And yeah well said about eLive and ecomorph TheNosh, you beat me to that one, and yeah it really is very cool :)

NCLI
August 29th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Being Danish, I would like to apologize for the current secretary-general of NATO, collaborating with both Napoleon and Hitler, and the Viking conquests of eastern Britain and northern France.

hoppipolla
August 29th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Being Danish, I would like to apologize for the current secretary-general of NATO, collaborating with both Napoleon and Hitler, and the Viking conquests of eastern Britain and northern France.

This is really getting quite deep O.O lol

BuffaloX
August 29th, 2009, 01:41 PM
or now if that fits your schedule ;)

http://www.ghacks.net/2009/02/20/ecomorph-e17-coolest-desktop-ever/

Thanks for the link, I had a quick look, not really what I'm wishing for,
maybe clutter for Gnome 3 and Moblin is a better bet?

I meant you as in everybody else but me, because I don't have the coding or art capabilities to live up to my own requirements.

How do English speakers distinguish between talking to one person or a group of people, when both situation use the same word "you"?

edit:
Oh you already responded to that, I'm just a bit slow. sorry!

TheNosh
August 29th, 2009, 02:22 PM
How do English speakers distinguish between talking to one person or a group of people, when both situation use the same word "you"?

we don't, i've always found it a bit annoying myself. sort of like how we don't have a gender neutral pronoun for a singular human being. s/he works when writing i suppose but in spoken word we've got nothing. we could use "it" like we do for animals when we don't know the gender, but that would be considered quite offensive.
[/OFF-TOPIC]

MikeTheC
August 29th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Doesn't matter just blame the Americans.
It's easier and in fashion, and they are used to it by now.

Bwahahahahahahahaha... Thanks, BuffaloX, you're a right stand-up friend, you are!

"You know, as they say when you're buying suppositories, 'With friends like that, who needs enemas?'"
...............-- Max Headroom

MikeTheC
August 29th, 2009, 03:53 PM
we don't, i've always found it a bit annoying myself. sort of like how we don't have a gender neutral pronoun for a singular human being. s/he works when writing i suppose but in spoken word we've got nothing. we could use "it" like we do for animals when we don't know the gender, but that would be considered quite offensive.
[/OFF-TOPIC]

I've never understood the point or purpose behind the genderfication of nouns.

TheNosh
August 29th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I've never understood the point or purpose behind the genderfication of nouns.

when applied to organisms with gender it gives clarification. this is good, my problem is our lack of a gender neutral pronoun for a single person. often "they" is used to fill this role, but frankly i find that less than satisfactory and so do many other people.

MikeTheC
August 29th, 2009, 04:09 PM
when applied to organisms with gender it gives clarification. this is good, my problem is our lack of a gender neutral pronoun for a single person. often "they" is used to fill this role, but frankly i find that less than satisfactory and so do many other people.

What kind of clarification? Printers and paint brushes and windows and pencils and cars and shovels and whatnot are all inanimate objects. How can they be male or female?

Copernicus1234
August 29th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Good to see you have realized the advantages of Gnome. Yes, it is calming, fast and very user friendly. It has everything you need while not getting in the way. :)

Im sure all Gnome users have tried KDE but not liked it. I mean, having lots of options and buttons everywhere is not equal to better for all people. Its the same with Mac and Windows. Mac is clean like Gnome, KDE is messy like Windows. Which one you like depends on your personality. People who say KDE is BETTER dont really get that better is a RELATIVE concept.

Just like some people like having a desktop with gadgets everywhere displaying information, other people enjoy a clean calmning desktop. So its great that KDE and Gnome exist so Linux can appeal to both groups of people.

I just love Gnome myself. With theming, it looks great.

Copernicus1234
August 29th, 2009, 04:21 PM

Rap (which is not music)
Microsoft
Software patents
Britney Spears
Michael Jackson
The New Math
Tang

So many things, but you missed the most important one.

George Bush!

days_of_ruin
August 29th, 2009, 04:25 PM

- Mac Donalds

Fixed it for you.

HappyFeet
August 29th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I have tested Mandriva for 3 months or so. And I say: its package manager just sucks. This thing lives in "dependency hell"

I also have used Mandriva and never had a problem with installing packages. Sounds like you didn't have the right repos enabled.

If ubuntu were to disappear, mandriva would be my first choice, followed by fedora.

dragos240
August 29th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Sandals can't.

Sundials can.
A sandal can be used as one. So you are wrong.

TheNosh
August 29th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Sundials can.
A sandal can be used as one. So you are wrong.
...as one what? a clock? if so please direct me to a tutorial for this, i never remember to wear a watch, but i always wear sandals so that would be quite useful.

swoll1980
August 29th, 2009, 05:11 PM

Rap (which is not music)

I bet you just loved living in Euclid

Screwdriver0815
August 29th, 2009, 05:24 PM
What kind of clarification? Printers and paint brushes and windows and pencils and cars and shovels and whatnot are all inanimate objects. How can they be male or female?

because a printer is male, a brush is female, a window has no gender (its not gay!!! ;) ), a pencil is male, a car has no gender (sometimes it has though) and a shovel is female.

Its obviuos!! :lolflag:

Fixed it for you.

thanks but Mac Guyver is far worse than Knight Rider :lolflag: but anyway, maybe this can be compensated by the A-Team

I also have used Mandriva and never had a problem with installing packages. Sounds like you didn't have the right repos enabled.

If ubuntu were to disappear, mandriva would be my first choice, followed by fedora.
ah yes, I had all the repos enabled... and this is the second thing which is annoying like hell about Mandriva. Its a stupid chaos...
When you want an app, for example pdftk, you have to enable a repo, so far so good... (BTW: normally this should be in "main" or the respective repo, but it isn't...) but after that you have additional versions of certain apps available. Because in this repo, different versions of apps are included as you have already in the repos which were enabled previously.

This leads into a chaos... because now you can install for example Digikam in 2 versions (each of them from a different repo) and so on... I don't like this.

If Ubuntu would disappear, Fedora would be my first choice, followed by Mandriva :lolflag:

MikeTheC
August 29th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I bet you just loved living in Euclid

I can't speak to modern times, but Euclid was still a nice area in 1982 when I moved down here with my folks.

RiceMonster
August 29th, 2009, 05:40 PM
As a UF poster I would like to apologize for this thread

geekygirl
August 29th, 2009, 05:42 PM
As a UF poster I would like to apologize for this thread

:lolflag:

TheNosh
August 29th, 2009, 05:44 PM

well in English we pretty much only have gender specification for things that HAVE gender, and it clarifies which gender the person/animal/plant/thing is. i realize some other languages have gender specification for just about everything, and that i have no explanation fo whatsoever.

geekygirl
August 29th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Well in English, aircraft and a ship are inanimate objects but are referred to as female.

MikeTheC
August 29th, 2009, 06:09 PM
I would also like to apologize for Starfleet's choices in staffing within the officer corps...

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/3386/mjacksonstartrekuniform.png

TheNosh
August 29th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Well in English, aircraft and a ship are inanimate objects but are referred to as female.

thats because they're often given names, and the names are feminine. i could be wrong but i'm pretty sure thats why.

Frak
August 29th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Aww, somebody removed my epic-ly awesome tags. :(

xuCGC002
August 29th, 2009, 08:23 PM

Same thing, except substitute Debian for Ubuntu and Tinycore for Fedora.

Ric_NYC
August 29th, 2009, 08:52 PM
well in English we pretty much only have gender specification for things that HAVE gender, and it clarifies which gender the person/animal/plant/thing is. i realize some other languages have gender specification for just about everything, and that i have no explanation fo whatsoever.

In latin languages "things" have genders... Example:
the word "world":

El mundo (Spanish)
Il mondo (Italian)
O mundo (Portuguese)
Le monde (French)

It doesn't have to make sense. Like in the words "blood" and "milk" in Spanish and Portuguese.

Blood is a "female" name in Spanish (la sangre) and a "male" name in Portuguese (o sangue). Milk is "la leche" in Spanish and "o leite" in Portuguese.

Let's go back to the topic... :)

Screwdriver0815
August 29th, 2009, 09:11 PM
in german we have this gender stuff too... and it doesn't make sense but we can not talk without it.

In english also some wordings don't make any sense. For example: "bloody hell"... whats that? :D in hell, there is no blood, and if there were blood, the hell itself is a thing, so it can not have blood in it :lolflag:

...I wanto to apologise in advance for that....

Frak
August 29th, 2009, 09:21 PM
in german we have this gender stuff too... and it doesn't make sense but we can not talk without it.

Yeah, I know right? Why is Male - Male, Female - Female, Boy - Male, but Girl - Neuter?

Screwdriver0815
August 29th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Yeah, I know right? Why is Male - Male, Female - Female, Boy - Male, but Girl - Neuter?

I don't know :D but you are right. It doesn't make sense at all. And I am so used to this, that I realised it at first as I read your question :lolflag:

NCLI
August 29th, 2009, 09:29 PM
In Danish, we only use genders for people and animals, not inanimate objects(though ships, car etc are of course female ;)). Anyway, after trying to learn a lot of other languaes, I really appreciate not having to remember the gender for every single word!

Frak
August 29th, 2009, 09:29 PM
I don't know :D but you are right. It doesn't make sense at all. And I am so used to this, that I realised it at first as I read your question :lolflag:
Heh, last time I was in Germany I got a lot of weird looks because I didn't have my genders correct.

I wasn't aware that I was wrong; made sense to me :)

Screwdriver0815
August 29th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Heh, last time I was in Germany I got a lot of weird looks because I didn't have my genders correct.

I wasn't aware that I was wrong; made sense to me :)

Yeah but I guess people did not look weird at you because they thought that you are stupid. No, just because it is really strange to bring a sentence in line when the gender is wrong :D

This doesn't mean that one doesn't understand it but for the first time hearing the sentence with the wrong gender... its strange! :lolflag:

Frak
August 29th, 2009, 09:56 PM
This doesn't mean that one doesn't understand it but for the first time hearing the sentence with the wrong gender... its strange! :lolflag:

Agreed

hoppipolla
August 29th, 2009, 11:02 PM
hehe what a mad digression! lol

I quite enjoyed that though so far..

To chuck in my 2 cents I've never understood why nouns in many other languages have genders either, it's something you accept really, I wonder how it was first invented.

And by the way it's cool this thread went off at a tangent, made it quite varied to read lol :)

macogw
August 30th, 2009, 01:54 AM
I have tested Mandriva for 3 months or so. And I say: its package manager just sucks. This thing lives in "dependency hell" and loves to sit in this hellfire and to scream to your face "dependency could not be resolved"...
Ditto for SUSE. Great KDE. But OMG I cannot stand YaST! The update manager would tell me about 1 package that couldn't be installed. Then I'd tell it not to upgrade that. Then it'd tell me one more. Why can't it just list all of the non-installable ones at once?

Frak
August 30th, 2009, 02:37 AM
Ditto for SUSE. Great KDE. But OMG I cannot stand YaST! The update manager would tell me about 1 package that couldn't be installed. Then I'd tell it not to upgrade that. Then it'd tell me one more. Why can't it just list all of the non-installable ones at once?
This is the #1 reason why I utterly gave up on OpenSUSE. Suse Enterprise doesn't have this issue. (Better not, ever, for the price I paid)

Screwdriver0815
August 30th, 2009, 10:05 AM

because if it would... then all the thrill would be taken out of the upgrade procedure :D
In Suse I never understood this one-click-install stuff... but anyway...

I also saw some people who have messed up all the installations in synaptic (Ubuntu) and brought the system into a similar state: "stuck in dependency hell"...
I personally don't know how to do this... but it seems like that it is possible :lolflag:

@Frak: do you have SLED? What does it cost and whats the difference to OpenSuse?

BuffaloX
August 30th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Bwahahahahahahahaha... Thanks, BuffaloX, you're a right stand-up friend, you are!

"You know, as they say when you're buying suppositories, 'With friends like that, who needs enemas?'"
...............-- Max Headroom

You're welcome, you just say when, and Ill be there to blame you for anything.

Don't let facts get in the way of what you know to be true. :P

In Danish, we only use genders for people and animals, not inanimate objects(though ships, car etc are of course female ;)). Anyway, after trying to learn a lot of other languaes, I really appreciate not having to remember the gender for every single word!

Sorry have to correct this.
Actually Danish has the most illogical use of gender of ALL languages.
Everything is either "non gender" or "common gender" there are absolutely no rules to determine if something is one or the other.
You have to remember the gender of every single noun to speak Danish correctly

Common gender:
A computer = en computer
The computer = computeren

Non gender:
A motherboard = et motherboard
The motherboard = motherboardet

The use has absolutely no impact on the meaning, you can swap them randomly and still be perfectly understood, except if you do you sound like a baby.

Screwdriver0815
August 30th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Sorry have to correct this.
Actually Danish has the most illogical use of gender of ALL languages.
Everything is either "non gender" or "common gender" there are absolutely no rules to determine if something is one or the other.
You have to remember the gender of every single noun to speak Danish correctly

Common gender:
A computer = en computer
The computer = computeren

Non gender:
A motherboard = et motherboard
The motherboard = motherboardet

The use has absolutely no impact on the meaning, you can swap them randomly and still be perfectly understood, except if you do you sound like a baby.
its the same in swedish :D

I was in sweden for one year and during this year I asked thousends of people "whats the rule for the en and et stuff?" I always got the answer "there is no rule, you just have to do it right" :lolflag:

hoppipolla
August 30th, 2009, 11:27 AM
So, is there any advantage to giving everything a gender? o.O lol

TheNosh
August 30th, 2009, 11:30 AM

not if all of one type of object is the same gender. however if we had, say, both male and female ships we would no longer have to build ships, instead we could breed them!

that was of course a joke. there's no advantage that i see, no.

cascade9
August 30th, 2009, 12:20 PM

Rap (which is not music)
Microsoft
Software patents
Britney Spears
Michael Jackson
The New Math
Tang

Sorry, but goth/gothic is originally from the UK. Emo is from the US, but its changed even more than gothic has (to the point where any 1980s emos would have virtually nothing in comon with 00s emos)

Yes, it means you can avoid the issues of danish/swedish (and I would assume norweigan, but I know more proto-germanic than norsk so thats 100% guess)

As for KDE/Gnome, I initially hated gnome. With a passion. I dont mind it so much now, but on 1st use it left me cold. KDE was far more what I wanted. But its never been that bad, really, if it was it would never have become a major desktop enviroment (probably the most used, but I'm not sure on that).

BTW, I dont use KDE or Gnome now, to be honest neither of them are even installed on my main
system. Gnome still doesnt do it for me, and KDE4- meh. I may end up on it eventually, but currently its still to slow IMO. Currently on Xfce (e17 installed as well for a change when I get sick of Xfce)