PDA

View Full Version : [kde] Set an application to load at startup?

beastrace91
August 28th, 2009, 07:25 PM
How can I add an application to load at start up in KDE? For some reason knetworkmanager isn't starting by default and I would like to add it.

~Jeff

grappler
August 28th, 2009, 07:35 PM
System Settings > Advanced > Autostart >Add Program

Then insert the path of the program.

Personally I use the gnome network manager rather than the kde one so I just type in "nm-applet".

beastrace91
August 28th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Good suggestion. I forgot I could load that one in KDE, much prefer the Gnome network manager myself as well :D

~Jeff

beastrace91
August 28th, 2009, 07:53 PM
So I added this command to be run at startup:
compiz --replace && gtk-window-decorator --replace but for some reason it is not launching compiz or replacing the window decorator... if I open terminal and run the above command it works fine... Any ideas why?

~Jeff

enli
August 28th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Simple commands will work but not like the one you wanting to.

Put following in new file and rename it something similar to "startup-script.sh"

#!/bin/bash
compiz --replace && gtk-window-decorator --replace

Go to properties of file and make it executable. (I have never used kde myself so you have to look for that option). or open up the terminal and cd to directory where you have kept the .sh file and do

chmod +x filename.sh

After that add this file as a startup item. The commands in this file will be executed at startup

beastrace91
August 28th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Yea... if simple commands work so should a small && command. To humour you though I create a .sh file with the contents of
#!/bin/bash
compiz --replace && gtk-window-decorator --replace and then pointed my start program to it - still no dice. Might just go back to using Gnome - it's start up manager works at least :/

~Jeff

enli
August 28th, 2009, 09:23 PM
I think it was not set to executable type. This seems to be very tiny problem, I would not jump back.

Check again if it is executable :D.

ls -a

Properties of one of my scripts :

enli@enli-laptop:~/Scripts$ ls -l launch-foxit-reader.sh
-rwxr-xr-x 1 enli enli 324 2009-08-18 02:22 launch-foxit-reader.sh

There should be bit 1 as highlighted which means script is executable.

beastrace91
August 28th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Yes I made it excutable... Sorry didn't think I needed to say that 0.0 - but again proof
-rwxr-xr-x 1 jeff jeff 62 2009-08-28 15:02 /home/jeff/.compizrun.sh

Other suggestions as to why its not running?

~Jeff

grappler
August 28th, 2009, 10:02 PM
I assume you really want compiz? Why not use kwin which is pretty good - not quite all of the bells and whistles of compiz but has all I need.

DaithiF
August 28th, 2009, 10:13 PM
enli@enli-laptop:~/Scripts$ ls -l launch-foxit-reader.sh
-rwxr-xr-x 1 enli enli 324 2009-08-18 02:22 launch-foxit-reader.sh
There should be bit 1 as highlighted which means script is executable.
Hi,
I don't mean to be pedantic, but the 1 highlighted does not indicate that the script is executable. It in fact represents the number of hardlinks to this file. The fact that the script is executable is indicated by the x's in the rwx...etc

rorschach988
August 28th, 2009, 10:16 PM
yeah great idea

rorschach988
August 28th, 2009, 10:16 PM
do it

beastrace91
August 28th, 2009, 11:17 PM
I assume you really want compiz? Why not use kwin which is pretty good - not quite all of the bells and whistles of compiz but has all I need.

Ehh lack of compiz is enough reason for me to end my trail of KDE and crawl back to Gnome lol

~Jeff

grappler
August 29th, 2009, 02:19 AM
What aspect of compiz do you need that's not in kwin? Running something that's so fundamentally gnome in kde sounds like asking for trouble.

beastrace91
August 29th, 2009, 06:51 AM
3d cube? Wobbly Windows? Window create/exit/minimize effects? 3d windows on said 3d cube?

~Jeff

grappler
August 29th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Cube is available, so are wobbly windows (I think), 3d windows on cube are also available. Not sure about the rest. I use the "view all desktops" "view all windows" features in kwin.

grappler
August 29th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Just confirmed - wobbly windows available