PDA

View Full Version : why do you love your linux box?

gfunkera
August 28th, 2009, 06:26 PM
please enlighten the community with the things that you absolutely love about your linuxbox, including any awesome apps, features, tweaks, and capabilities in general that linux has that many people may not have realized yet in their quest of discovering linux....

mju4t
August 28th, 2009, 06:36 PM
I love the Gnome interface. I love sudo-apt get install, I love the fast bootup time, and I love how using Linux isn't as scary as everyone says it is.

misfitpierce
August 28th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Well pretty simple really, I use linux aka Ubuntu on a laptop and have never been happier... First lets name the best part first. Its FREE, 100% Free! Can request a CD disc or download it for faster install. Can try it out on computer before you install running from the LiveCD by selecting make no changes from disc loading up, thats another good benefit. Then as you get into the software, its got Brasero built in for everything you need to do disc burning wise(Best app ever used imo and i've used mac and windows also), Transmission for torrents which works extremely well and runs at usually under 10MB of ram running multiple torrents which is extremely light. Pidgin is built in for IM'ing on all protocols such as AIM, MSN, MyspaceIM, Yahoo, and so on which does not come built in on windows and is similar to adium for mac. Firefox is the default browser which... lets face facts folks, firefox is just the safest and best opensource webbrowser out there today!
Safety wise Ubuntu/Linux is very safe and has no documented viruses out there to this day that were ever widespread, Mac and Windows both have some out there. No viruses, malware, spyware, adware etc etc to worry about taking alot of worry off your mind about running app's, although virus scanning app's are avail to scan your machine for windows viruses on your machine which cant run on your machine but can be sent to windows computers on your network.
Basically all in all Ubuntu has software app's to do anything a mac and windows can do. Even LMMS for music production made by same people as fruityloops for windows! It can do everything. Give it a try and check out the 3d effects as well through compiz and I feel you won't be disapppointed!

wojox
August 28th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Beacause it's Linux and not Windows.

rideburton56
August 28th, 2009, 06:47 PM
I love the FOSS design of the system. By allowing everyone to modify to their own needs, it creates such a drive for ingenuity, creativity, and overall improvement of the system. It is amazing to me that so many people have worked together (for FREE) to bring us something that is better in every way than proprietary software.

The only shortcomings Linux has is as a result of Microsoft forcing the proprietary business model down everybody's throats(games use directx vs. openGL because everybody uses MS), so it gets the vast majority of attention from developers. I think businesses fear an open source model because they feel someone will steal their thunder, but there's proof in history that's not the case.

Imagine how powerful our systems would be if Linux was distributed like Microsoft? We would probably be 10 years ahead of our current development, in both OS design and software. Either way, I feel lucky to be part of such a community, and that's why I love Linux!

treehouse
August 28th, 2009, 06:47 PM
1: free
2: apt-get
3: works on my decade old desktop
4: apt-get
5: command line versions of everything that I don't need a GUI for (here's looking at you MPD)
6: designed to be customized rather than hacked to be customized
7: apt-get

MoxieAndWhimsy
August 28th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Just as you said. Tweaking. Course I loved that about Windows, too. The bit that makes GNU/Linux that much better is that developers build frameworks in order to ease and encourage popping the top to poke around, rather than requiring repurposing of existing "features."

The Terminal is rather high on the list as well. Using brilliant colours for additional function is great, and rather pretty IMO. Scripting is great and can be made into behind-the-scenes functions.

Mighty_Joe
August 28th, 2009, 06:56 PM
The proc Filesystem (http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8381). No other OS makes it as easy to dig into the details of a running system. That's what "Freedom" and "Open" mean in "Free Software" and "Open Source"
Free Software (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html)

MoxieAndWhimsy
August 28th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I think businesses fear an open source model because they feel someone will steal their thunder, but there's proof in history that's not the case.

This is changing. In fact even Microsoft is seeing the merits of open-source software. Which actually freaked me out a bit, because the start of the Microsoft Public License is pretty similar to the GPL. Thus "Oh no! We've been bought out!? That shouldn't be possible!" and then "Oh, wait. That's rather good. Welcome aboard!"

eriktheblu
August 28th, 2009, 07:23 PM
In no order:

Compiz-Fusion (desktop effects that are actually interesting and in some cases useful)
Freedom.
No cost software
Fun to tinker with
Fast recovery. /home is it's own partition, so even when my tinkering breaks something, I'm only a couple hours away (installing non-standard packages and such) from being fully functional. It takes me days to do this in MS Windows.
Regular updates without rebooting.
Functional and complete software included.
apt-get (simplest way to install software I've ever seen).
Symbolic linking and FSTAB
Scripts; I just wish I knew BASH as well as I know DOS.

RiceMonster
August 28th, 2009, 07:24 PM
1) Because I can type fortune | cowsay

Bachstelze
August 28th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Am I the only one who found this thread title creepy? I don't love my computer. It's just a computer, for God's sake!

koenn
August 28th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Am I the only one who found this thread title creepy?
no.

muximus
August 28th, 2009, 07:30 PM
ppl love their cars... i dont see anything creepy abt this..
i love linux coz
1. faster than windows... can start windows faster in linux using virtualbox than native!!
2. gnome-do
3. apt-get
4. completely customizable.. even the kernel!! no match for it in tht dept.
5. free

Ozor Mox
August 28th, 2009, 07:31 PM
I love my Linux box because:

* I have it customised just the way I want it...fonts, wallpaper, theme, ...
* It is rock solid. Seriously this thing is bulletproof. It's been through an upgrade and all kinds of crap being done with it and it still flies.
* None of the software cost me anything, though I am planning to donate to Ubuntu soon.
* Apt-get is the most amazing way to install software ever.
* It looks stunning with Compiz-Fusion on.
* It is Linux and not Windows, so by definition I am cooler :cool:

Ozor Mox
August 28th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Am I the only one who found this thread title creepy? I don't love my computer. It's just a computer, for God's sake!

Methinks somebody is taking the word 'love' a little too literally.

dragos240
August 28th, 2009, 07:41 PM
I love the fact that it's 100% MINE. With windows, none of it was actually 'mine', it was property of M$. Now my operating system is MY operating system. Nobody can take that away from me!

hoagie
August 28th, 2009, 08:04 PM
I prefer it because it just seems more natural to me. When I use linux I feel at home.

Viva
August 28th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I love my computer, literally. Its not different to somebody loving his bike.

ghostborg
August 28th, 2009, 08:20 PM
WORKFLOW!!!, Customization .

sydbat
August 28th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Am I the only one who found this thread title creepy?Nope. My brain went to something not suitable for a public, all ages forum...