PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] install kde on ubuntu 8.10

prakreet
August 28th, 2009, 06:13 PM
i have the cds of ubuntu 8.10 and kubuntu 8.10. I have installed ubuntu on my system. i want to install the kde desktop environment on my ubuntu box. so that i can use kde or gnome from my login screen... u got what i am talking. right.:)

can i use my kubuntu cd to install kde on my ubuntu system. please suggest a graphical way to do things since i m very bad at the command kine.. thnx in advance.

Tibuda
August 28th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Add your kubuntu cd to your software sources in system > admin > software sources. I think if you insert the cd while running gnome, it will popup a message to add it.

After the cd is in your software sources, you can install the kubuntu-desktop (apt:kubuntu-desktop) in system > admin > synaptic.

If you have problems adding the kubuntu cd to your ubuntu sources, you can download the kubuntu package from the internet using synaptic.

prakreet
September 4th, 2009, 02:19 PM
i added the kubuntu cd to the sources. and i selected the kde packages to be installed. but ubuntu is downloading the packages from the internet(which i hav kept on just in case) instead of just taking them from the cd...

i want to use the kubuntu cd to install kde on my friend's ubuntu system which doesn't hav an internet connection. i just tested it on my comp. so i really need a way to install kde without an internet connection....

crashed111
September 4th, 2009, 03:17 PM
The problem is the version on the CD will be older than the one available online so the one avaliable online will always be favored however if your friends PC has never been connected to the net you may be fine as until Ubuntu has been connected to the net and updated the package list it even knows of kubuntu.

prakreet
September 6th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Ubuntu has an faq entry explaining how to install kde on an ubuntu system here "https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingKDE". I think this article should be improved to contain an easy way to install kde offline if we have a kubuntu cd with us...