PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] package manager freezes

shmish
August 28th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Hi,
I just did a new install of 8.10. First I installed 8.04 and then immediately upgraded to 8.10. All of my software is supposedly up to date.

Whenever I try to open Synaptic Package Manager, it freezes. Sometimes it freezes right away, sometimes I will get a chance to choose a package to install before the package manager freezes. I believe ubuntu also froze when I first tried to use System - Administration - Software Sources.

BTW, I mean that all of Ubuntu freezes. I can move the mouse around but ubuntu doesn't respond to any keyboard or mouse clicks. I need to hard reset the computer to get things up and running again.

The following url shows my syslog from one of the crashes (from the boot up to when ubuntu froze and was restarted): http://www.pastebin.ca/1545925

stlsaint
August 28th, 2009, 04:46 PM
upgrading can cause alot of issues and since you said you went IMMEDIATELY into 8.10 why not start from 8.10 as a fresh install and even better if you plan on stepping up to jaunty do the same from there...just start with jaunty.

shmish
August 28th, 2009, 10:55 PM
I don't think I can install 8.10 directly, only 8.04RTS is avaiable for download.

I have 9.04 running on another partition, it works fine. However, the video support doesn't have opengl (I think), and therefore I can't run XBMC. So that's why I'm trying to get 8.10 to work.

thanks

shmish
August 30th, 2009, 12:39 AM
I thought maybe it was a typical video driver problem, so I installed the ati restricted drivers and haven't had a problem since.