PDA

View Full Version : Typical Ubuntu Annoyances

Redsandro
August 28th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Some annoyances are so typical Ubuntu, it's almost as if they keep them in as easter eggs. What are your favourite annoyances?

For me, from Ubuntu 6 up till 9, I've always had that after a while of normal using and updating, the 'shutdown' begins to occasionally malfunction and behave like a reboot in stead. I usually press the power down button before I flee my home, but recently when I come back the computer is still on again.

Now my friend talked to me the other day: Hey my machine is restarting X when I tell it to shut down! And I felt it was time for a thread like this. :P

Also but less frequent, every once in a while something happens that makes the theme (colors, icons) temporarily show something alternative. As if it resets to default, slightly uglier, but it's actually not the default because I never change the one it came with. Never understood that one either. Makes me wonder if both themes are in the computer memory.

Oh and finally the mistery of the disappearing mouse cursor! Sometimes the pointer just hides on some area's of the screen! Restarting X usually fixes this.

What's your typical Ubuntu annoyance?

These cases are from all times throughout history and I've encountered them on many different computers. They are not one-bad-computer incidents. Don't get me wrong, I love Ubuntu. :) But these are so common to me, like BSoD is to Windows.

UKBB
August 28th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Hey my machine is restarting X when I tell it to shut down!

This has been happening to me too. Up until now I thought I was forgetting to shut down. I'm going to be keeping a sharp eye on it now.

Redsandro
August 28th, 2009, 12:56 PM
I used to do a quick terminal sudo shutdown now, that one is usually bullet-proof!

Mighty_Joe
August 28th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Brown. Brown brown brown brown brown.
Maybe it's because I came to Ubuntu after running KDE on Gentoo for a year or so, but man, that brown color scheme is just depressing. KDE looks like somebody took a 5-gallon bucket of bells and whistles and dumped it on the desktop and menus. Ubuntu Gnome looks like somebody threw a party and nobody came :)

Redsandro
August 28th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Haha! True. I switched from Ubuntu to Xubuntu on my desktop and media center. It's blue-ish and you can choose a nice dark theme. You might wanna try it sometime.

I prefer xfce over gnome anyway. The only drawback is lack of samba support but you can automate a fusesmb network folder on your desktop for that.

Mighty_Joe
August 28th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Xubuntu. . . You might wanna try it sometime.

I've tried everything from CrunchBang to X-U-Kubuntu. I always end up with OpenBox on my VM's and KDE on my desktop.

The only drawback is lack of samba support

Hey, I ran into that with Xubuntu too. Where's our "Typical Xubuntu Annoyances" topic?

oldos2er
August 28th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Brown. Brown brown brown brown brown.
Maybe it's because I came to Ubuntu after running KDE on Gentoo for a year or so, but man, that brown color scheme is just depressing.:)

I don't consider this an annoyance because it's so easily changed. I actually don't mind brown, but usually change it anyway.