PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Moving external drive install to internal drive?

irfan9727
August 28th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Hi guys!
I recently tried 9.04 (I know I'm late) and because I've heard some performance problems with Intel GPUs, I decided to gave it a try by installing it on my external drive. (note: full install.)
After reading some threads on this forum, I've managed to 'restore' the graphic performance on this ubuntu install, and I think compiz runs better on 9.04 after some tweaking. I love the new notifications too! :)
My question is, because I'm too lazy to plug my external drive whenever I use this computer, is there's a way to move this ubuntu install on my external drive (ext4) to my computer's drive? Or is there's some magical way to move the user settings and installed packages to a new install of 9.04?
Thanks!
And yeah, home is not on separate partition. My external drive is partitioned like this:
[ExternalDrive Partition - NTFS. ~220 GB ][Ext4 Ubuntu partition / , ~20 GB]

Bartender
August 28th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Do you mean physically removing the external HDD from its case and putting it inside the PC, or do you mean copying (maybe the correct term is imaging) the data from the external to an internal drive?

irfan9727
August 29th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Do you mean physically removing the external HDD from its case and putting it inside the PC, or do you mean copying (maybe the correct term is imaging) the data from the external to an internal drive?

Yup. I mean imaging. I have an Ubuntu 8.10 ext3 partition on my computer, and did this mean I can just 'image' the ubuntu partition on my external drive and overwrite it on my computer 8.10 ext3 ubuntu partition? Or did I need to delete the ext3 ubuntu partition on my computer, then write the image file to my computer's disk? How about the bootloader?
(Sorry for late post)