PDA

View Full Version : How is Kubuntu or Ubuntu 9.10 Alpha 4?

gymophett
August 28th, 2009, 02:04 AM
I'm planning on using Kubuntu 9.10 Alpha 4 as my main OS.
I know it isn't recommended.
But how is it? Any major bugs?

EDIT: When a new aplha comes... will I be able to upgrade to it?

Bölvağur
August 28th, 2009, 02:15 AM
grub is strange, there is no manu.lst any more only grub.cnf or something like that which is more like code than a config file at a quick glans.

the intel graphic bug is still there as in jaunty.

Im getting crash reports but not seeing why (only used it for about 20 minutes).

nowin4me
August 28th, 2009, 03:07 AM
Have a look HERE (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=359) and you can get a brief idea on some of the problems that are around. I am personally am not using it at the moment but I did test Alpha 1 and maybe 2 out, but things have probably changed since then (hopefully for the better).

rajcan
August 28th, 2009, 03:55 AM
It's actually rather decent. I ran it in vbox so I couldn't fully test the graphics, but from all that I can see it works nice.

SunnyRabbiera
August 28th, 2009, 04:07 AM
the intel graphic bug is still there as in jaunty.

I hope its resolved, I cant take another crap release.

nowin4me
August 28th, 2009, 01:58 PM
You SHOULD be able to upgrade to it (unless you have problems updating). I am going to wait until Alpha 5 which will be realised on September the 3rd.
O and also check what other people's problems are by going to Lauchpad (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic).

Bölvağur
August 28th, 2009, 05:03 PM
I hope its resolved, I cant take another crap release.

I heard the new driver will be in the final release. But do you know what? I am an optimist and want to quote the great poet that said:

"Life sucks
and then you die."

in his poem named The Optimist.

I have no idea why I just said that.

bkratz
August 28th, 2009, 05:09 PM
I know it isn't recommended.
But how is it? Any major bugs?

EDIT: When a new aplha comes... will I be able to upgrade to it?

I tried it and took it back out. It wouldn't let me use my VGA monitor only if I used my DVI. Went back to 9.04

afroman10496
August 28th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Grub2 is awesome. I think you can get a Grub GUI too.

Paqman
August 28th, 2009, 05:11 PM

I say go for it, providing you:

Realise that keeping a copy of Jaunty on the machine as a backup is a smart thing to do
Are prepared to put in the time filing and tracking bug reports, doing any further testing that's requested, providing feedback and generally being a useful tester
Don't mind truckloads of updates, unexpected breakage, and half-finished things that just don't work properly
Know how to find the info you need to fix the above breakage

If you can answer "yes" to all of the above, welcome to the testing branch! Otherwise, stick with Jaunty until into the beta stage at least.

Paqman
August 28th, 2009, 05:17 PM
grub is strange, there is no manu.lst any more only grub.cnf or something like that which is more like code than a config file at a quick glans.

It's different, but not difficult. The new grub.conf is a actually written by a bunch of scripts, you don't edit it manually at all. Ever. You just tell the scripts what to do. For example, if you want to remove a whole category from the list, just remove the executable flag for that section's script and "sudo update-grub2". Job done!

The new version of startupmanager does actually play nicely with Grub2 now, anyway.