PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless interface not working after upgrade to 8.10

BigFlatBrook
August 27th, 2009, 11:48 PM
After upgrading to 8.10 (I had planned to upgrade to 9), I can no longer log into my wireless network. I *know* the right password.

I see that you can no longer bring up the network-manager through Systems->Administration->Network. But the same things seem to be available by left or right clicking on the network icon.

Clearly the network is being recognized and everything otherwise seems ok.

Once I've tried WEP 40/128 bit key and WEP 128-bit passphrase options with the password I know to be correct, both multiple times, and neither works -- what is left to try?

Why would upgrading from 8.04 LTS to 8.10 break this? Can I go back to 8.04 LTS? Would going to ubuntu 9 possibly fix this?

(It seems to me that there were three options in the network manager for WEP passphrase, not just two.)

This is frustrating, can anyone help?

BigFlatBrook
August 28th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Ok, this is a mystery. I'm running ubuntu on an IBM T60 laptop, and for mobility reasons, it is important for wireless to work.

I have two accounts on my installation. After logging onto a different account, the wireless interface magically started working.

It's beyond me -- really.