PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I have a virus with XP. i am trying to erase everything and install ubuntu wont work

Ilovecomputers
August 27th, 2009, 11:25 PM
I put the ubuntu cd in and when i try to install it i get a box that comes up "pyl5.tmp.exe has encountered a problem to close. we are sorry for the inconvenience." then there are 2 options. one is to debug and the other is close. it then just goes back to the screen. i do have a virus on this system and every time i install a program it wont let me open it. it just comes up a box asking me which program i want to open it with. any suggestions here?

lateralus01
August 27th, 2009, 11:28 PM
don't put the disk in with xp up, put the disk in your drive and reboot, make sure your bios can boot from cdrom

raymondh
August 27th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Are you putting/loading the Ubuntu LiveCD in WHILE windows is running? IN that case, you are trying to do a WUBI-install which is dependent on a healthy, working Windows.

Decide whether you want to dual-boot (each OS in their own partition) or solely-boot Ubuntu. And then, boot into the liveCD, manipulating your BIOS prior so that the cd-drive boots first (without windows loading up).

Whilst in liveCD, you may also TRY UBUNTU WITHOUT ANY CHANGES .... that gives you the chance to test out your system vis-a-vis Ubuntu (wifi, graphic card, etc).

If I understood your issue wrong, I apologize.

Ilovecomputers
August 28th, 2009, 03:58 AM
don't put the disk in with xp up, put the disk in your drive and reboot, make sure your bios can boot from cdrom

thanks for all your help guys. i was able to get the cd to boot by using cd boot helper. it works great except for one thing. i cant get the wireless network set up and get wireless internet from my router. I have a dell inspiron laptop.
what do i do to get my wireless card to get internet access via my router at home and through any wifi? the card in the laptop is a dell bcm4306 802.11b/g. i called my local cable company where i get dsl wireless (verizon) and they dont know anything about ubuntu to help me. what do i do? how to i set up wireless?? please help.
thanks.