PDA

View Full Version : Good God, I found an Alarm Clock for Linux!

TechSonic
February 3rd, 2006, 11:26 AM
Windows XP is going to miss me, I finally found an alarm clock program to replace PC Beeper on Windows. I did a lot of searches for applications and finally found a how to for XMMS alarm clock plugin. Now I can wake up every morning listing to Golden Earring - Twilight Zone

Why this song? Well.... Every morning I wake up dazed and confused for a few minutes. I don't know where I am until I wait it out for a minute. I get a good amount of time to sleep but I never dream anymore. The best sleep time is when you enter REM sleep. Rapid Eye Motion. That is when you start to dream!

I figured sense It's all confusing at first, that song would be ironic every morning and never get old. That and I got Ozzy Osboune - Parry Mason and ELO - Don't Bring Me Down in there for wake up music.

Now that I don't need Windows XP for anything. What should I tinker in it? Should I try and exploit an explorer crash run by repeating shortcuts to shortcuts on the desktop or should I cram miss matched drivers until it just locks up and wont boot anymore?

Lovechild
February 3rd, 2006, 11:41 AM
you could also do it the cli way and utilise the "at" command, maybe combined with cron to ensure you get a daily wakeup call.

TechSonic
February 3rd, 2006, 11:44 AM
I tried that, something about an error. Oh well XMMS lets me choose what days I want it to alert me or I can set it for all days and alert me at the same time every day.

This way If I have weird hours, I can manually set each day for a different time. XMMS does the job much better.

psychicdragon
February 3rd, 2006, 12:42 PM
I Have a file called ~/bin/wakeup that's only 566 bytes.

Example usage:
wakeup 08:30 quodlibet --play

graabein
February 3rd, 2006, 01:55 PM
Do you guys sleep with your computer? Seriously... I have a regular alarm clock on my night table and the frigging computer -- with GNU/Linux though, I do love it -- in another room. ;)

Edit: I just realized that this is for when you fall asleep at your computer! Nice one! I can see the need. :D

endersshadow
February 3rd, 2006, 02:11 PM
Do you guys sleep with your computer? Seriously... I have a regular alarm clock on my night table and the frigging computer -- with GNU/Linux though, I do love it -- in another room. ;)

Edit: I just realized that this is for when you fall asleep at your computer! Nice one! I can see the need. :D

Or if you're in college and the computer is never more than 3 feet away from your head :lol:

-Rick-
February 3rd, 2006, 02:17 PM
KAlarm works for me

bschuteker
February 3rd, 2006, 02:19 PM
This sounds pretty cool. I am working in Iraq and leave my laptop on all night with the screen blank. That way people can get a hold of me on IM if need be. I didn't like XMMS for music I choose Amarok instead and love it. I would be interested in setting this up for the alarm clock though. Where did you get the plug in and how do I install it???? Also how do I choose the song?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

drucer
February 3rd, 2006, 02:25 PM
Good wake up songs:

- Bob Marley : Get up, stand up (stand up for your rights)
- U2 : Wake up dead man

..what other?

Lovechild
February 3rd, 2006, 03:00 PM
I used to wake up to Richard M. Stallman lectures (yes I'm a strange man)

bschuteker
February 3rd, 2006, 04:58 PM
well, I found the answer to my own questions. I guess I wrote too soon. The alarm plug-in is in the repo's and a google search will dredge up a how to use it page. I also found how to do it with Amarok (which I still say is a better prog)

http://amarok.kde.org/amarokwiki/index.php/FAQ#How_do_I_use_amaroK_as_an_alarm_clock.3F

Anyways, enjoy,

Ubuntu ROCKS,

Bill

xequence
February 3rd, 2006, 06:16 PM
Why this song? Well.... Every morning I wake up dazed and confused for a few minutes.

You could wake up to Led Zeppelin's Dazed And Confused :)

TechSonic
February 4th, 2006, 05:03 AM
When I used Windows, Winamp was my fav Media player. It's only natural to stick with the player XMMS because I've already got a feel for it. The alarm clock setup was easy.

super
February 4th, 2006, 05:18 AM
i use my phone to wake me up in the mornings.

Good wake up songs:

..what other?

u2 makes good wake-up music. i currently use 'beautiful day' as my alarm. it puts me in a good mood. :cool:

before that i used 'clocks' by coldplay.

Cesium
February 4th, 2006, 05:38 AM
I like waking up to Rage Against the Machines' "Wake Up."

towsonu2003
February 4th, 2006, 05:42 AM
:lol:
sorry to go off topic, but that's a scary smilie ;)

geekphreak
February 4th, 2006, 05:47 AM
well, I found the answer to my own questions. I guess I wrote too soon. The alarm plug-in is in the repo's and a google search will dredge up a how to use it page. I also found how to do it with Amarok (which I still say is a better prog)

http://amarok.kde.org/amarokwiki/index.php/FAQ#How_do_I_use_amaroK_as_an_alarm_clock.3F

Anyways, enjoy,

Ubuntu ROCKS,

Bill

Actually, you can use amarok's builtin alarm script through GUI, go to Tools -> Script Manager and you should see the list of all scripts currently installed.

I also use weekalarm (http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=23160)

gord
February 4th, 2006, 06:04 AM
i just use a regular alarm clock, althlough iv managed to learn howto turn it off without waking up so it don't work very well.

psychicdragon
February 4th, 2006, 12:53 PM
I wake up to Acid Mothers Temple pretty much every week day.

I like to use my computer as an alarm clock because it's slightly more difficult to hit snooze and then not go to school. It still happens though. -_-;

graabein
February 5th, 2006, 02:39 PM
I wake up to Acid Mothers Temple pretty much every week day.

Acid Mothers Temple!! Great band. \\:D/ Is it the chant-song? A particular album?

I could use a timer of some sorts when I have something cooking in the oven so it won't get burned every other time. Maybe a gdesklet will do.

endersshadow
February 5th, 2006, 02:43 PM
sorry to go off topic, but that's a scary smilie ;)

Yeah, I know...I replaced in on my forum with one...um...less creepy...

TechSonic
February 5th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Actually, you can use amarok's builtin alarm script through GUI, go to Tools -> Script Manager and you should see the list of all scripts currently installed.

I also use weekalarm (http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=23160)

I tried that one, the alarm didn't go off on the 3 test sounds I did, so I dumped that cheap script. Plus, I hate Amarok, it's got this gui that makes me puke and the fact that it uses more resources then XMMS.

I prefer the XMMS one better.

adamx40
August 7th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Good wake up songs:

..what other?

I like to wake up to Adiemus. And using orca to read me the weather forecast for the day.

/usr/bin/hacked?
October 24th, 2008, 09:50 AM
I'm unable to install the plugin on audacious, it says that I need glib installed, but I'm pretty sure that it is installed. I also have a 64bit system, dunno if that matters. plz help! I love this plugin.

vikrant82
October 24th, 2008, 09:07 PM
I have this network of alarms and snoozes spread out over a period of time and a final bang with a siren kind. I bet if anyone can stay asleep with this thing ..

crimesaucer
October 24th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Windows XP is going to miss me, I finally found an alarm clock program to replace PC Beeper on Windows. I did a lot of searches for applications and finally found a how to for XMMS alarm clock plugin. Now I can wake up every morning listing to Golden Earring - Twilight Zone

Why this song? Well.... Every morning I wake up dazed and confused for a few minutes. I don't know where I am until I wait it out for a minute. I get a good amount of time to sleep but I never dream anymore. The best sleep time is when you enter REM sleep. Rapid Eye Motion. That is when you start to dream!

I figured sense It's all confusing at first, that song would be ironic every morning and never get old. That and I got Ozzy Osboune - Parry Mason and ELO - Don't Bring Me Down in there for wake up music.

Now that I don't need Windows XP for anything. What should I tinker in it? Should I try and exploit an explorer crash run by repeating shortcuts to shortcuts on the desktop or should I cram miss matched drivers until it just locks up and wont boot anymore?

The "Exaile!" media player has an alarm clock built into it as one of it's plugins.

crimesaucer
October 24th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Good wake up songs:

..what other?

System Of A Down - "Dreaming"

HermanAB
October 24th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Pink Floyd's 'Time', must be the best wake-up call ever. Played loud enough, it will raise the dead.

tigrezno
October 24th, 2008, 09:54 PM
i wake up all days with this song, i bet you'll like it :)

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Sand Lee
October 24th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Why not just use the alarm-clock package (apt://alarm-clock)? It's in the Intrepid Repos. For Hardy users, http://www.getdeb.net/app/Alarm+Clock . :guitar:

drascus
October 24th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Yeah I was looking for a good alarm clock too. I found this one on Getdeb
http://www.getdeb.net/search.php?keywords=alarm+clock The thing I like is all the options. To log out, shutdown, play a sound or audio file. it's pretty neat. I think that it also could be turned into a time management program if a little more coding was done to it.