PDA

View Full Version : Using Ubuntu as your main system

rmcellig
August 27th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Is there anyone out there that uses Ubuntu as their main OS on their computer? I just want to hear back about issues and whether it is possible for a novice to use Ubuntu as the main OS. I am not a gamer by the way so games are not important to me.

denis.bubnyakov
August 27th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Yes, I use ubuntu as the main system of more than 6 months. every 6 months I did not run on my laptop is nothing else than ubuntu, and i is satisfied

Tibuda
August 27th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Ubuntu is the only system on my laptop.

It depends on your computing needs and your hardware, so let me ask: what do you use your computer for and what peripherals do you have?

rmcellig
August 27th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. Basically I use audio software to edit audio files. I am a radio host so I need the right software for the task. At the moment I use Sound Studio on a Mac using OS X. I also have about 11 external USB HD's as well as a HP laser printer. Another peripheral is an external monitor that is hooked up to my imac at the moment.

I am going to be installing Ubuntu on one of my older PC's.

HappyFeet
August 28th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Ubuntu is my only system. I would never consider anything else.

RTrev
August 28th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Is there anyone out there that uses Ubuntu as their main OS on their computer? I just want to hear back about issues and whether it is possible for a novice to use Ubuntu as the main OS. I am not a gamer by the way so games are not important to me.

We've been running Ubuntu exclusively since, I think, Breezy, which would put it at about 3 years ago or so.

My wife made a list of the things she used her computer for. Then she installed Ubuntu and slowly worked her way through the list, checking off each item as she figured out how to do it under Linux. When all items were checked, Windows was scraped off the drive and we've never looked back.

Tibuda
August 28th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. Basically I use audio software to edit audio files. I am a radio host so I need the right software for the task. At the moment I use Sound Studio on a Mac using OS X. I also have about 11 external USB HD's as well as a HP laser printer. Another peripheral is an external monitor that is hooked up to my imac at the moment.

HP is a very Linux-friendly manufacturer, so I think you are fine with your printer. I don't think you'll have trouble with USB drives too.

For audio editing, there are three tools for Linux I know: Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/), Ardour (http://ardour.org/), and LMMS (http://lmms.info/). I can't say if they can fit your needs, but they are cross-platform, so you can test them on Windows or OS X.

HappyFeet
August 28th, 2009, 12:31 AM
For audio editing, there are three tools for Linux I know: Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/), Ardour (http://ardour.org/), and LMMS (http://lmms.info/). I can't say if they can fit your needs, but they are cross-platform, so you can test them on Windows or OS X.

I was going to post something on audio editors, but I am not too familiar with them. Thank you for sharing.

Garrovick
August 28th, 2009, 01:45 AM
My Aspire One, which I call "My Giant iTouch", is 100% Ubuntu.

I put many of my my Audio and Video files on it. I use DVD:Rip to copy my commercial DVD collection. Use Open Office to create documents, spread sheets and a a data base for my 8000 plus OTR audio program hobby. And Gimp to create album covers.

Rythmbox is the audio player, VLC the videos player.

Jazzy_Jeff
August 28th, 2009, 01:47 AM
I use Linux exclusively. I have Ubuntu on my Desktop computer and I run Arch on my laptop. I will never go back to Windows. I have never even tried Vista and will not be trying Windows 7.

rmcellig
August 28th, 2009, 01:48 AM
What is Arch?

Garrovick
August 28th, 2009, 01:54 AM
What is Arch?

It might be...

http://www.archlinux.org/

Jazzy_Jeff
August 28th, 2009, 01:55 AM
What is Arch?

Yes it is Archlinux. It is not for a beginner to Linux. You pretty much build your distro from scratch and only install what you want on it.

KinKiac
August 28th, 2009, 01:59 AM
What is Arch?

ArchLinux, its just another distro.

As for using Ubuntu exclusively, Ive been doing it for a while now. I had a dual boot system, I installed Ubuntu for the first second time about 2 months ago I think(not long ago anyway) and a little while after that, due to neglect, my windows picked up a a virus or something. I havent booted into Windows since and Im a pretty noobish user. I work with computers, though, so I m not a total noob, but wouldnt consider myself a pro with Linux or Ubuntu at all and for my needs it works just fine(browsing, downloading, listening to music, streaming video). I even just built a new PC in the last week and only have Ubuntu on it so far. I will probably install XP or 7 when I get a chance(and a disk, lol) but it will be exclusively for games.

Garrovick
August 28th, 2009, 01:59 AM
Yes it is Archlinux. It is not for a beginner to Linux. You pretty much build your distro from scratch and only install what you want on it.

Sort of like Ubuntu Minimal.... Starting from the C: prompt?

On the other hand, I like your handle. Sounds like a Ubuntu Distro

xuCGC002
August 28th, 2009, 02:03 AM
I've used Ubuntu as my main system for almost 4 years. But I'm leaving Ubuntu soon for Debian. Just gotta find an IDE-SATA converter first, then my new Debian system will be up and running.

HappyFeet
August 28th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Yes it is Archlinux. It is not for a beginner to Linux.

To say the least, it is not for a beginner. I am far from a beginner at this point, and it would be too much work for me. If I was going to "build" a distro, I would do a command line install of ubuntu/debian and go from there. But that's only because I am very comfortable with the apt way of doing things. I'm not disrespecting arch, it's just not for me.

Jazzy_Jeff
August 28th, 2009, 02:08 AM
To say the least, it is not for a beginner. I am far from a beginner at this point, and it would be too much work for me. If I was going to "build" a distro, I would do a command line install of ubuntu/debian and go from there. But that's only because I am very comfortable with the apt way of doing things. I'm not disrespecting arch, it's just not for me.

Oh, I understand that. I just installed it for a learning experience and to kill some time :). I have fun tinkering with my systems to see if I can break them..:lolflag:. Has not happened yet where I could not fix it.

HappyFeet
August 28th, 2009, 02:10 AM
I will probably install XP or 7 when I get a chance(and a disk, lol) but it will be exclusively for games.

I have an extra computer I just built that I use for testing distros and such, but I also have an XP install on it just for games. It never sees the light of the internet. Nor does it get used for anything else. It is my XBOX. (so to speak) So yeah, windows is good for something. ;)

HappyFeet
August 28th, 2009, 02:12 AM
Has not happened yet where I could not fix it.

Sounds like you know more than what you give yourself credit for.

I have no choice but to learn as much as I can about computers, since it is what I do for a living. But I'm not a genius, just a hard working tech guy trying to earn a few $$.

Jazzy_Jeff
August 28th, 2009, 02:14 AM
Sounds like you know more than what you give yourself credit for. Good job.

No, I just come in and ask a lot of questions when I mess up and can't fix it by myself. Believe me, I still have a lot to learn. That is why I love Ubuntu, because of all the great people here on the forums.

Jazzy_Jeff
August 28th, 2009, 02:18 AM
I have an extra computer I just built that I use for testing distros and such, but I also have an XP install on it just for games. It never sees the light of the internet. Nor does it get used for anything else. It is my XBOX. (so to speak) So yeah, windows is good for something. ;)

I do have an install of Windows XP running in virtual box in case it is needed. So far is has had little use.

HappyFeet
August 28th, 2009, 02:20 AM
Believe me, I still have a lot to learn.

Those that become good or great at something NEVER stop learning. You've lost the battle when you stop learning. Nobody knows everything.

XubuRoxMySox
August 28th, 2009, 02:22 AM
I too use only Ubuntu exclusively. I use it for music and video editing, web browsing & email, school work, blogging, etc. Pretty much everything I used Windows XP for, I now use Ubuntu for (minimal Ubuntu + LXDE and favorite applications). From Day One I wiped away Windblows rather than dual-boot and never regretted it.

-Robin

HappyFeet
August 28th, 2009, 02:22 AM
I do have an install of Windows XP running in virtual box in case it is needed. So far is has had little use.

Yeah, I have an install of Win7 in vbox just so I am familiar with it on the job. ( I thought I would get a head start on it) Like I said, I have no choice in the matter.

coldReactive
August 28th, 2009, 02:24 AM
Ubuntu currently is the only system I run.

perroazul
August 28th, 2009, 02:29 AM

I only have Ubuntu in my laptop, and it has been like this for ... 2 years at least.

with respect to your profession, you might like to check this out:
Ubuntu Replaces Mac For Music Professional (http://www.nillabyte.com/blog.php?b=168)

wirelessmonkey
August 28th, 2009, 04:21 AM
I use Kubuntu on my main machine, Gentoo on my servers, and Mint (Gloria) on my Laptop. I use a Windows XP VM to access a FileMakerPro database, and I support a few hundred in a lab environment. Using Ubuntu as primary is No Big Deal ;)

Best of Luck to ya!

Tamlynmac
August 28th, 2009, 04:30 AM
I sincerely hope the OP isn't trolling. Assuming they aren't.

We've used Ubuntu as our OS of choice on all our home desktops for >3 years. Not one time in that period have we ever been dissatisfied with Ubuntu. It's proved to be a stable and reliable platform. We only purchase Linux compatible hardware and make effort to assure said hardware will function in the Ubuntu environment prior to purchase. This forum assists significantly in that endeavor.

We've been pleased with the volume of FOSS applications and the only problem has been deciding which apps to agree upon. Some duplicate apps. exist in our menus, primarily due to the personal preference of each user. Ubuntu/FOSS has met and often exceeds our requirements and expectations.

Everything from personal finance management to audio, video/graphics, etc. - Ubuntu and FOSS have proven dependable and secure. The lack of maleware while surfing the net, has been a pleasant bonus. The fact that the OS and associated FOSS apps. are free, is another nice bonus.

I'd recommend Ubuntu to anyone that doesn't feel the need to participate in high end PC gaming and is searching for an extremely stable desktop platform. Once setup and used as your OS (without all the experimenting), it's amazing how dependable/reliable it becomes.

*** Just as a note, my 81/2 year old, sports oriented grandson (baseball, football and basketball) uses Ubuntu on his laptop and is completely thrilled with his system. He's not a fan of PC games. Says "their boring, indoor games and he's to busy with other stuff" (his words not mine). :) I've noticed that he and his friends generally spend their time enjoying the outdoors. Plus, he and dad go hunting quite a bit every year and do the boy scout thing together.

Good Luck on what ever decision you make.

HappyFeet
August 28th, 2009, 05:51 AM
I use Kubuntu on my main machine, Gentoo on my servers, and Mint (Gloria) on my Laptop. I use a Windows XP VM to access a FileMakerPro database, and I support a few hundred in a lab environment. Using Ubuntu as primary is No Big Deal ;)

Sounds like you need linux 101 ;)

Tamly, your response was too long to read. You're consistent at least. I know what to expect from you. That's not a bad thing though. :-)

Tamlynmac
August 28th, 2009, 09:55 AM
HappyFeet

It always starts off short and sweet. Somehow, it winds up long winded. Thanks for the feedback, I'll work on it.

rmcellig
August 28th, 2009, 07:13 PM
I made a copy of 9.04 to CD and when I boot up on my PC into the Installer, when the partition window comes up, I don't have an option to create a side by side partition. I am totally confused as to what to do next based on the enclosed screenshot.

I really want to get Ubuntu 9.04 up and running on my PC, so that I can dual boot into either XP or 9.04. Thanks!!!

I don't remember it being this complicated in 8.10. I just watched a video of how to setup dual boot in 9.04 and the window looks totally different.

running_rabbit07
August 28th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I obviously posted my question in the wrong forum. How can I move it to the Installation forum? Sorry for inconveniencing you.

I apologize for being aggravated. There seems to be a thread asking the same opinion questions ever week.

For the best results you could probably just start a new thread in the Installation Forum.

rmcellig
August 28th, 2009, 07:25 PM
I obviously posted my question in the wrong forum. How can I move it to the Installation forum? Sorry for inconveniencing you.

Tamlynmac
August 28th, 2009, 07:36 PM
rmcellig

Go here (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=48) and ask the mods to move it or just start a new thread in the help section. running_rabbit07 is correct. It's the appropriate place to ask for assistance.

I suggest you not imply any entitlement or attitude when asking for support. It's been my experience, those that ask politely for assistance seem to get a quicker response. Keep in mind, all those that assist in those sections do so for free.

rmcellig
August 28th, 2009, 07:39 PM
I am not displaying attitude or entitlement. I just want help that's all and I am really sorry for posting my problem in the wrong forum. Will never happen again.

Tamlynmac
August 28th, 2009, 07:56 PM
rmcellig

I never said you did. Only made a suggestion.

rmcellig
August 28th, 2009, 08:01 PM
No problem. Bottom line is that I really want to start trying out 9.04 in dual boot mode. Can't you see I am looking forward to it? :)

ngsupb
August 28th, 2009, 08:56 PM
I think OP has posted a wrong question.

It shouldn't be like "Do you use?".
Wake up man! It is Ubuntu forum! The answer is obvious.

I would ask "Why do you use Ubuntu as main OS?"

Tibuda
August 28th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I made a copy of 9.04 to CD and when I boot up on my PC into the Installer, when the partition window comes up, I don't have an option to create a side by side partition. I am totally confused as to what to do next based on the enclosed screenshot.

I really want to get Ubuntu 9.04 up and running on my PC, so that I can dual boot into either XP or 9.04. Thanks!!!

I don't remember it being this complicated in 8.10. I just watched a video of how to setup dual boot in 9.04 and the window looks totally different.

Strange. The installer can't find any system installed in the computer. Maybe that's why you can't see the dual boot option.

rmcellig
August 28th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Ya. I wonder what could be the cause. Any ideas as to what I should do next?

Maduroutmb
August 30th, 2009, 01:15 AM
I use Vista 32 bit Ultimate to play games and as a backup if I need something that only runs on Windows. I use Jaunty 64 to do work (spreadsheets, 3D art, 2D art, ripping movies, email, etc). There is also the rather hilarious fact that my sound card works out of the box in Ubuntu and won't work at all in Windows (their "solution" is "buy a new sound card".

fidelandche
August 30th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Hi all,

I changed over from windows XP and Vista, because I was so fed up with the constant slow down in the system, the antivirus, having to defrag and so on. I never went for the dual boot (I tried but did not follow the instructions correctly!!!!) BUT I have never looked back, I am so impressed with the OS that I have installed it onto my son's and partner's laptops. I have also got three people I work with to change over and they are very impressed. So I would say go for it and you will not look back.

stalkingwolf
August 30th, 2009, 04:02 PM
try running the partition manager from the live mode. See what it shows you. You can resize your partition from there.

RuneGeek
August 31st, 2009, 09:27 PM
On my home desktop, my personal laptop, and my wife's desktop... all three just Ubuntu. I dual-booted to XP for a while but it was just to ease myself through the transition.

petrus4
August 31st, 2009, 09:33 PM

If you're a complete novice, Ubuntu is good in terms of getting you up and running quickly. However, given the amount of problems I had with ALSA in particular, whether or not your system then <b>stays</b> up is another issue.

I had Ubuntu installed for probably six weeks, and experienced fairly chronic instability. Most of it was sound related, due to ALSA. If I tried changing environments from Gnome, ALSA wouldn't work at all outside it, and would randomly cease functioning even when I was using Gnome.

Then I had weird shell problems from trying to change my window manager, as well, which made absolutely no sense. The icing on the cake was when I had a kernel panic entirely randomly at one point, and when I finally got the kernel back, my nVidia drivers no longer worked, and no matter what I did I couldn't get them reinstalled.

I'm now using FreeBSD on my main desktop, and Ubuntu on my laptop. The only reason why I have Ubuntu there is because I wanted Linux on the laptop, and can't access the laptop's BIOS, so Wubi was the only way I knew of to get any form of Linux installed.

Ubuntu on the laptop doesn't always shut down properly, so sometimes the battery has gone flat after I've thought the computer was turned off. There have also been times when I've had to take the battery physically out in order to get the computer to go off, as well.

Ubuntu might be good as far as getting a system up rapidly with minimal configuration is concerned, and its' degree of hardware support is good as well, except for ALSA. However, a system with the overall level of instability that I've experienced Ubuntu as having, doesn't qualify in my own mind as, "user friendly."

stalkingwolf
September 1st, 2009, 03:29 PM
if i could find something for ubuntu that would read CPO files i could dump windows completely.

ugm6hr
September 4th, 2009, 08:42 AM
I had a dual-boot for about 2 years, but was using Ubuntu as the predominant OS during that time. When I had gone 12 months without booting XP, I removed it.

A dual-boot acts like a security blanket when you are finding your way round the new OS, but Ubuntu can work perfectly well as a sole OS for about 95% home users.

PS: If you want technical help with installing etc, please start a thread in the main technical support area. You will struglle to get much help here.

jonnybal@googlemail.com
September 4th, 2009, 10:58 AM
I use audio software to edit audio files. I am a radio host

Try Ubuntu Studio which has various audio applications on it and a real time kernel which may be more suited to your intended use. You may have to experiment a little with JACK audio.

I use Ubuntu as my main operating system. My ex wife uses Ubuntu as her only operating system. She is a novice computer user and finds the ubuntu user interface much easier to use than windows. And of course it runs much faster on her computer. After she tried ubuntu for about 20 minutes she didnt want to go back to Vista.

scottuss
September 4th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Yup. My main desktop and main laptop run Ubuntu. So does my netbook (it did have Arch on there at some point)

I'm more than happy with my setup :D

rmcellig
September 4th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Thanks scottuss and jonnybal@googlemail.com. I really appreciate your comments. My sister in law just bought a HP laptop running Vista. I told her about Ubuntu and now she is really interested in it. Her only concern is that she works in an organization that uses PC's and they are always exchanging Excel, Word and Powerpoint documents.

If she uses OpenOffice, she has to be absolutely certain that files are compatible so that if she creates a document in OpenOffice and then sends it to a customer who has MS Office, the file has to open properly on the PC side fully intact as far as formatting etc...

hockeytux
September 4th, 2009, 01:05 PM

If youre not a gamer then go ahead and make Ubuntu your main/only OS. :KS Im a gamer and Ive still done it so youll be fine... :)

rmcellig
September 4th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Thanks hockeytux!

I am not a gamer so I should be fine. Do you or anyone else have any experience running MS Office 2007 in Ubuntu using Wine or Crossover? I know I can use OpenOffice but my wife needs to use MS Office 2007.

hockeytux
September 4th, 2009, 01:18 PM
No sorry, I only use Open Office. Both at work and at home. Your wife can save docs in Word 6.0 formats in OO so compatibility should not really be a problem. Ive heard that sometimes opening older .doc files in OO is causing display errors. I never had this problem myself though (and accessed doc files from 2005 in OO 3.0).

If she only likes the layout of Word 07 then maybe OO will grow on her. Its more hassle to run Word in Wine or VirtualBox than adapting to OO I guess.

Its much more difficult to change from Photoshop to Gimp...

scottuss
September 4th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Running Office 2007 in Wine is possible, there are guides to do it all over the Internet. However, you may find OpenOffice to be more than capable.

Just make sure she saves her documents as .doc and .xls rather than the default OpenOffice file formats (it's really easy, you'll see the File Type drop down box when saving a document, very similar to MS Office)

lancest
September 4th, 2009, 01:25 PM

Take a look at this: Linux Music Workflow: Switching from Mac OS X to Ubuntu with Kim Cascone (//http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/08/04/linux-music-workflow-switching-from-mac-os-x-to-ubuntu-with-kim-cascone/) I found it quite interesting.

rmcellig
September 4th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Wow! Thanks Iancest!! I will definitely take a look!!

rmcellig
September 4th, 2009, 01:33 PM
The link you provided doesn't seem to work.

lancest
September 4th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Thanks scottuss and jonnybal@googlemail.com. I really appreciate your comments. My sister in law just bought a HP laptop running Vista. I told her about Ubuntu and now she is really interested in it. Her only concern is that she works in an organization that uses PC's and they are always exchanging Excel, Word and Powerpoint documents.

If she uses OpenOffice, she has to be absolutely certain that files are compatible so that if she creates a document in OpenOffice and then sends it to a customer who has MS Office, the file has to open properly on the PC side fully intact as far as formatting etc...
I would run some tests on what she is working with I find alot of OO can handle alot of MS Office docs.
It would be a good idea to get educated with some tips for compatibility.http://news.cnet.com/8301-13880_3-9864262-68.html
Google documents is also being used by more and more including the District of Columbia possibly Los Angeles and others.

rmcellig
September 4th, 2009, 02:01 PM
It always amazes me how fast things change in the computer world. It's funny, the first time i used Ubuntu, I was a little confused but that was short lived. Now I love it because of it's flexibility and options. My Mom who is in her seventies used an iMac for ten years (I bought it for her in 1999). I bought her an inexpensive HP laptop last year and installed Ubuntu on it. She loves it! Nuff said :)

zipperback
September 4th, 2009, 02:07 PM
My wife and I both run Ubuntu as our only operating system.
With Linux there really isn't a need for any other operating system.
We use it for all of our personal and business needs and we're very happy with it.

- zipperback
:popcorn:

rmcellig
September 4th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Thanks Zipperback! You mention that you use Ubuntu for your business needs. I asume that you are using OpenOffice to create docs to send out to MS users? Do you experience any issues with formatting etc... I would like to hear your comments in this regard.

rmcellig
September 4th, 2009, 02:16 PM
How can I make my Ubuntu setup to look as closly as possible to my Mac? I know there are themes out ther etc... but I would like to know which ones are the best, most stable ones as well as how to install these themes etc... in Ubuntu.

rmcellig
September 4th, 2009, 02:17 PM
I use Rapidweaver (www.realmacsoftware.com) as my web creation tool on the Mac side. If I am going to use Ubuntu, is there a way for me to use Rapidweaver in Ubuntu and/or are there similar tools for Ubuntu that are fairly easy to use?

My web site: www.mcran.com

aatyler
September 4th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Just my $.02 worth:

I have two laptops, an ASUS M50VM-B1 and an asus EEEpc-1000HA. I'm a fairly big fan of the asus hardware. The M50 is my gaming machine and I do all of my school work on the E. Ubuntu 9.04 is loaded on the M50 and EEEbuntu is loaded on the E.

So far I am more than please. Infact everything (at least for my two computers) worked out of the box and is infinitely more stable than windows ever hoped to be. I haven't had any problems with Open Office / MS Office compatibility as long as I'm careful how I save my files. Thus far I haven't found anything that I did in windows that I can't do with open source apps in linux (with the exception of games, although I dual boot on the larger laptop and even then, most of them work fairly well in WINE under linux).

I did do ALOT of research before I installed so there were a couple things like repartitioning that would have caused a few head-scratching moment had I not done the research. I will point out, if you intend on dual booting vista and ubuntu, search for 'resizing vista partition' and such before you start out. Vista is VERY picky about the setup and the boot sectors. The dual boot installation took me about 3 hours and I had to do a repair install on vista. But, it was painless and would have taken no more than 30 minutes if I had installed Ubuntu as the main operating system.

Some of the other pluses to linux is the security (I know this is mentioned before in this thread, but it is so refreshing to have an OS that is secure I had to mention it :) ) and the repository system is infinitely superior to how windows installs programs.

I wish you the best of luck with your choice.

-Adam

~unknown
September 4th, 2009, 05:55 PM
First post :grin:
Ubuntu is great. I've been using Ubuntu as my main operating system for over a year now, and I love it. The quickness, the stability, the looks... It's amazing. And the support of Ubuntu-Finland has been awesome. Only issues I haven't got solution to are getting the sidescrolling function of my mouse working, getting my graphics card function properly and fixing GRUB, which got messed up after updating. But for games, I have to use Windows, at least for now.

rmcellig
September 4th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Thanks so much aatyler for your comments. I remember installing Ubuntu 8.10 on my Mom's HP last year. Her PC came with Vista. It actually went very well. She uses Ubuntu as her main OS and has never used Vista. She loves Ubuntu!

aatyler
September 4th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Thanks so much aatyler for your comments. I remember installing Ubuntu 8.10 on my Mom's HP last year. Her PC came with Vista. It actually went very well. She uses Ubuntu as her main OS and has never used Vista. She loves Ubuntu!
Your welcome for the post. I think that unless you are a hard core gamer that wants to be on the cutting edge of games without having to work with WINE/Vboxes there is no reason not to use ubuntu as your primary or only OS. I haven't booted into windows since I installed linux and I'm thinking about just deleting the partition all together.

rmcellig
September 4th, 2009, 08:23 PM
I installed Virtualbox with the hopes of installing both Windows XP and Mac OS X. Is this possible? This way I can still use the very few apps that I depend on in the Mac OS and a couple in the Windows OS.

xpod
September 4th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I`ve used *buntu as my main/only system now for just over 3 years, which is also most of the time i`ve used a computer.
Besides the heaps of ignorance i suffered with to start out with i cant say i`ve ever had any real problems.Not with *buntu anyway......
I tried many other distro`s during the first couple of years and indeed i still have a wee look at others via virtual machine on occasion.
I`ve tried numerous minimal *buntu installations as well as many of the more lightweight Distro`s and although they do run that bit quicker on some the older hardware that passes through my hands there`s no real need for anything too lightweight on any of our own current machines.

It`s all good.

rmcellig
September 4th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Thanks xpod. What software did you use to create the screencast in your signature? I am looking for software to create screencasts in Ubuntu.

Irihapeti
September 5th, 2009, 12:03 AM
There have been some problems with table layout being corrupted between OpenOffice and MSOffice. I have an idea that most of this has been fixed in the latest version of OpenOffice.

A good idea would be to create some typical documents in OpenOffice and then open them with MSOffice and check for yourself that the formatting survives.

Another issue might be what happens when something is created in MSOffice, edited in OpenOffice and then viewed/edited again in MSOffice.

I've found I need to keep a copy of MSOffice 2000 around so as to be able to deal with these kind of things. I discovered that MSWord and OpenOffice writer have different ways of handling comments, which meant that I needed to use Word for one particular job.

Of course, there can be differences in formatting between different versions of MSOffice, too. Most of the stuff I do for other people is editing, and I deal with it by telling them up front to wait until they've got the final version from me before they tweak the formatting.

lancest
September 5th, 2009, 12:25 AM
The link you provided doesn't seem to work.

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/08/04/linux-music-workflow-switching-from-mac-os-x-to-ubuntu-with-kim-cascone/ Paste this into Google search if having DNS issues. :)

rmcellig
September 5th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the info! Well, I took the plunge and installed Ubuntu 9.04 on my XP Pro PC. It is now my main OS and what I will do is install Virtualbox and install XP Pro as a guest OS. I think this will work for me.

longtom
September 5th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the info! Well, I took the plunge and installed Ubuntu 9.04 on my XP Pro PC. It is now my main OS and what I will do is install Virtualbox and install XP Pro as a guest OS. I think this will work for me.

Good luck! I use OO only while the rest of our company uses MS Office 2000. As default I save all final versions of my documents as *.doc files.

There have been compatibility issues with OO before, especially with tables and graphics involved.
However, I fixed the files in questions, put them into general circulation and haven't had a complaint once from the MS Office users. But these were really only very few out of a myriad of files.

I found it essential to make sure, that all the fonts are installed that are used by the other members in their applications.
I installed msttcorefonts (in the repositories) and copied all my Windows ttf fonts from my dual boot into a .font directory in my /home folder. This directory does not exist by default, you will have to create it. That took care of all font issues I ever possibly had.

I am sure you will love your Ubuntu experience. For me - it never stops to amaze me.

rmcellig
September 5th, 2009, 11:10 AM
I am very happy now because I have XP Pro running in Virtualbox so that my wife can acces her PC stuff. Works great!!

Now that I have this all set up, I would like to know how to make a clone image of my machine. Can I use a windows product like Norton Ghost or is there something else I should use to properly clone my machine to an external USB drive.

rmcellig
September 5th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I am trying to install Cairo Dock. Where do I put this code:

wget -q http://repository.cairo-dock.org/ubuntu/cairo-dock.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -

longtom
September 5th, 2009, 11:35 AM

wget -q http://repository.cairo-dock.org/ubuntu/cairo-dock.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -

Open up the terminal and copy and paste it. Paste in terminal is Ctrl+Shift+V.

As easy as that....

xpod
September 5th, 2009, 11:45 AM

Why not just install it from your package manager.
Just open Synaptic, which is in your System>Admin menu and search for Cairo dock.Or, open a terminal and enter

sudo apt-get install cairo-dock

The terminal is in your Applications>accessories menu btw.

What software did you use to create the screencast in your signature? I am looking for software to create screencasts in Ubuntu.

The screencasts in my sig link were nothing i created.
I only posted it(and another since removed) in there because of all the lazy readers out there.
I just thought some videos might make it easier.:)

longtom
September 5th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Why not just install it from your package manager.
Just open Synaptic, which is in your System>Admin menu and search for Cairo dock.Or, open a terminal and enter

The synaptic version is somewhat outdated. I was given the advice to rather work according to the website of cairo.

Worked flawless....