PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Failure to install Flash Player

paulruscito
August 27th, 2009, 10:24 PM
I am about to scrap ubuntu and install Fedora. I downloaded ubuntu three days ago. latest version, 904 I think. I go to an obscure website (Youtube) and try to play a video. Browser tells me that I have Javascript turned off (I don't) or I should get the latest flash player. Try to install the Flash player and I get some dependancy error for "Dependency not satisfiable: libnspr4-dev".

Software update says I am up to date. I want to shoot myself for wasting all this time working on this. I am once again discouraged by Ubuntu's ability to make common user functions work out of the box.

inobe
August 27th, 2009, 10:37 PM
hi and welcome to the forums.

open synaptic package manager.

search for

ubuntu-restricted-extras

tick the box next to package and hit apply.

install it.

restart firefox and go to youtube

edit: or open terminal and type

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

when prompted type y, y means yes' then press enter.

SoftwareExplorer
August 27th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Go to System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager and search for the package and see if you can find it.

SoftwareExplorer
August 27th, 2009, 11:03 PM
By the way, welcome to the ubuntu forums.:)

paulruscito
August 28th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Tried it with fedora and got it to work relatively easy. Based on their Doc, I understand why it doesn't ship with the distribution. I don't write code for linux but if I did, I would write a tool that prompted you on startup to install licensable software like popular video codecs, sound drivers etc, you know, all the Adobe, Apple and Microsoft stuff. Not a tool that installs everything under the sun tool but a tool that picks the five most popular items and walks a user through installing thempopular tool. I am sad that this is my fourth time trying Ubuntu and I failed again. Still not user friendly enough for me.

The responsiveness of the team on this list is wonderful. Something to be proud of.

Thank you.