PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] /bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

lateralus01
August 27th, 2009, 10:19 PM
When I try to boot a liveCD i get dumpted to initramfs and get this error:

/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

This seems to be common with older liveCDs, the problem is I need to use this one even if it is an older version of ubuntu (7.04). If I remove quiet from the boot options I can see the kernel messages before it dumps me to initram but they flash by too fast so how can I slow it down or view them? Are they stored anywhere in a file that I can access?

Thanks,
Lateralus01

SoftwareExplorer
August 27th, 2009, 10:59 PM
That usually means there was serious errors while booting up. Are you trying to install 7.04? If so, you could maybe use the alternate image. (I'm assuming such a thing exists for older versions). What reason do you have for needing 7.04?

lateralus01
August 27th, 2009, 11:23 PM
That usually means there was serious errors while booting up. Are you trying to install 7.04? If so, you could maybe use the alternate image. (I'm assuming such a thing exists for older versions). What reason do you have for needing 7.04?

This is a specific distro of ubuntu, the disk came with a book i'm readin and i need the disk

SoftwareExplorer
August 28th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Most things from 7.04 would apply to 9.04, so you might try the newer version. Otherwise, like I said, you could use an alternate install image of 7.04 and I might work.