PDA

View Full Version : Netbeans for PHP , Java - where to start? good video tuts?

edwardtilbury
August 27th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I'm crossing over to netbeans from the dreamweaver world.. what would you recommend as in some beginner tutorials for learning netbeans?

There's probably a ton of stuff out there, but I would like to know what worked for you guys so I don't waste time on an inefficient way.

Steve.Ballmer
August 28th, 2009, 12:56 AM
http://www.netbeans.org/kb/index.html

Fallen_Demon
August 28th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Depends how you like to learn. W3Schools has a ton of stuff, or you can go straight to the API specs. PHP is insanely well documented, as is Java. Combine this with NetBeans' autocomplete (Ctrl-Space) functionality, and you'll be fluent in no time :)

EDIT: Oh, NetBeans tutorials... Hm, try the NetBeans wiki (http://wiki.netbeans.org/). PROTIP: Most FOSS projects have a wiki, always use that as a launching point ;)

edwardtilbury
August 30th, 2009, 02:05 AM
cool,I will check these out

edwardtilbury
August 31st, 2009, 06:16 AM
Followed the beginner stuff, Works great, I like this more than Geany!

Right now I'm not using for much more than a super notepad, but this thing is awesome, finds errors and stuff.. I must learn the more complicated features later.

It slows to a crawl on a 3gig machine with Ubuntu 9.04 64bit when I start a 1gig Virtual Box, but oh well, I can just run them separately..

Mirge
August 31st, 2009, 03:01 PM
I personally prefer Eclipse over Netbeans.

colau
August 31st, 2009, 03:17 PM
I personally prefer Eclipse over Netbeans.
Is the drag and drop option available in Eclipse like Netbeans?

Mirge
August 31st, 2009, 03:28 PM
Is the drag and drop option available in Eclipse like Netbeans?

Drag and drop for what specifically?

colau
August 31st, 2009, 03:50 PM
Dragging and droping buttons,textbox on a form for gui application.

Mirge
August 31st, 2009, 03:55 PM

More specifically please? What GUI framework, or language?

Jimleko211
August 31st, 2009, 10:54 PM
No.

colau
August 31st, 2009, 11:19 PM
More specifically please? What GUI framework, or language?
Have you used Netbease ide or MS Studio 2008?

Mirge
September 1st, 2009, 01:18 AM
Have you used Netbease ide or MS Studio 2008?

Yes, I've used both... NetBeans has support for multiple languages/frameworks. Which one are you working with that requires drag & drop support?

colau
September 1st, 2009, 01:39 AM
Yes, I've used both... NetBeans has support for multiple languages/frameworks. Which one are you working with that requires drag & drop support?
Drag and drop option with Eclipse IDE.
Have you got this?

Fallen_Demon
September 1st, 2009, 01:51 AM
Are you talking about the Matisse Java GUI builder? I know there's a plugin for Eclipse that does somthing similar, but plugins in Eclipse annoy me >_< I like Matisse, people say it outputs bloated code, but it's all in the initialisation :) It doesn't affect perforamnce in the long run, and it speeds GUI development up by a huge amount too :D

colau
September 1st, 2009, 02:10 AM
Are you talking about the Matisse Java GUI builder? I know there's a plugin for Eclipse that does somthing similar, but plugins in Eclipse annoy me >_< I like Matisse, people say it outputs bloated code, but it's all in the initialisation :) It doesn't affect perforamnce in the long run, and it speeds GUI development up by a huge amount too :D
How to install Matisse?Isn't it Swing?

Mirge
September 1st, 2009, 02:57 AM
Drag and drop option with Eclipse IDE.
Have you got this?

Drag & drop for WHAT language/framework? Qt4 integrates into Eclipse, including drag & drop. Here's a screencast (http://www.eclipse.org/resources/resource.php?id=253) for Swing drag & drop. Other GUI editors for Swing are available as well.

Repeating asking the same question w/out answering mine is going to get us no where.

opticyclic
September 1st, 2009, 03:14 AM
I reckon he is asking if there is a Swing GUI editor that allows drag and drop functionality in a similar way to Visual Studio.
What used to be called Matisse in Netbeans (and now is there by default) is probably the best free visual designer for Java.

The key point is its layout that allows you to place your controls anywhere you like and not have them resize wierdly like Gridbag Layouts.

Although it is pretty good, it still doesn't match Visual Studio.
Even VB6 had a better GUI designer than any current Java IDE that I've seen.

But then VB was always supposed to be a Visual environment and Java came from the server/console world so perhaps you can't blame it for being 10 years behind ;)