PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need drivers that work with nVidia Geforce3 TI 200

bearsomg
August 27th, 2009, 05:32 PM
I have an nVidia GeForce3 TI 200 graphics card, and I can't seem to find the correct nVidia drivers for it. I have a wide-screen monitor with a native resolution of 1360x768 and the best resolution I can get right now is 800x600. I plan on replacing my Windows XP with Ubuntu 9.04, so I'm trying to find out how to do these customizations before I install it. Could someone please explain to me how to install nVidia drivers that work with the GeForce3 TI 200 graphics card or provide a link?

Thanks in advance.

Edit:

I have already tried editing the xorg.conf file, using the Hardware Drivers program to enable the drivers, downloading the nvidia-glx-96 and all its requirements but to no avail. I am still stuck with 800x600 and below, I know I did a fresh install before on my computer and it worked fine... I didn't do anything different this time except my monitor broke and I got a new one. Right now I have a Sanyo DP19649.

bearsomg
August 28th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Following my last question about getting the right driver for my graphics card, I think I found out why it worked before but not now. Now for some reason I have two graphics card in there (don't remember why, think I was testing the other one.) Is there a way to make sure ubuntu CAN NOT see it, so that it is in the slot, but not connected to ubuntu? I don't think there is a way in the bios to do so...

By the way, I cannot open my computer. I got everything all nice and neat around my desk, and I don't want to mess it up. Plus, last time I removed it, my graphics got all messed up.

My monitor is connected to the nvidia, not the second broken one.:confused::confused::confused::confused::confu sed:

Edit:

I managed to us xrandr commands to add a 1024x768 resolution to the default display mode, but when I choose it in the display menu, it tells me it can't use it. Any ideas?

------------------------System Info-----------------------------------------
Dell Dimension 8200
Nvidia GeForce3 TI 200 graphics card
broken one is a number nine or something like that...
Intel Pentinum 4 Processor
1.5 GB RAM

IcarusR
August 29th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Have you installed the restricted drivers ??

overdrank
August 29th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Threads merged.If you have installed the nvidia drivers then you may use the command with the alt, F2 keys and enter
gksu nvidia-settings set the resolution and save to the xorg. Hope this helps.

bearsomg
August 29th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Well, yes, I have tried installing the restricted drivers, but they didn't work either. still just gave me the 800x600 and 640x480. I did find out the problem though. My monitor technically isn't a monitor, it's a TV. I plugged in an old monitor and the default resolution was changed to 1024x768. I tried editing monitors.xml to the native resolution for 1024x768, but that didn't work either. I am done with the nvidia drivers. Now when I install the correct one for my card, it find resolutions not supported by my monitor. I run
sudo nvidia-xconfig
and when I restart my screen is completely black because it goes to a resolution not supported by my monitor. When I delete those mode entries from xorg.conf, a reboot gives me the graphics error and I have to uninstall nvidia drivers and reconfigure the graphics to get it working again.

So my real problem is ubuntu is not detecting my tv as a monitor, and decides to use the default resolutions, 800x600 and 640x480. How can that be solved?

overdrank
August 29th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I have an nVidia GeForce3 TI 200 graphics card, and I can't seem to find the correct nVidia drivers for it. I have a wide-screen monitor with a native resolution of 1360x768 and the best resolution I can get right now is 800x600.
Edit:
Right now I have a Sanyo DP19649.

Now for some reason I have two graphics card in there (don't remember why, think I was testing the other one.) Is there a way to make sure ubuntu CAN NOT see it, so that it is in the slot, but not connected to ubuntu? I don't think there is a way in the bios to do so...

By the way, I cannot open my computer. I got everything all nice and neat around my desk, and I don't want to mess it up. Plus, last time I removed it, my graphics got all messed up.

My monitor is connected to the nvidia, not the second broken one.:confused::confused::confused::confused::confu sed:

Edit:

I managed to us xrandr commands to add a 1024x768 resolution to the default display mode, but when I choose it in the display menu, it tells me it can't use it. Any ideas?

------------------------System Info-----------------------------------------
Dell Dimension 8200
Nvidia GeForce3 TI 200 graphics card
broken one is a number nine or something like that...
Intel Pentinum 4 Processor
1.5 GB RAM

Well, yes, I have tried installing the restricted drivers, but they didn't work either. still just gave me the 800x600 and 640x480. I did find out the problem though. My monitor technically isn't a monitor, it's a TV. I plugged in an old monitor and the default resolution was changed to 1024x768. I tried editing monitors.xml to the native resolution for 1024x768, but that didn't work either. I am done with the nvidia drivers. Now when I install the correct one for my card, it find resolutions not supported by my monitor. I run
sudo nvidia-xconfig
and when I restart my screen is completely black because it goes to a resolution not supported by my monitor. When I delete those mode entries from xorg.conf, a reboot gives me the graphics error and I have to uninstall nvidia drivers and reconfigure the graphics to get it working again.

So my real problem is ubuntu is not detecting my tv as a monitor, and decides to use the default resolutions, 800x600 and 640x480. How can that be solved?

Hi and I am no expert but I am a little confused. :)
But in short you are trying to get a higher resolution on a TV monitor with the GeForce3 TI 200.
Nvidia has stopped support for the old nvidia cards but how are you connecting the system to the tv monitor. S-video? It maybe your monitor does not support that resolution or the graphics card can not support it via the connection. I believe the best solution would be the nvidia drivers and maybe editing the xorg. Good luck.

bearsomg
August 29th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Hi and I am no expert but I am a little confused. :)
But in short you are trying to get a higher resolution on a TV monitor with the GeForce3 TI 200.
Nvidia has stopped support for the old nvidia cards but how are you connecting the system to the tv monitor. S-video? It maybe your monitor does not support that resolution or the graphics card can not support it via the connection. I believe the best solution would be the nvidia drivers and maybe editing the xorg. Good luck.
Yes, but not S-Video. My TV has a VGA Input, and I connected the VGA input to the VGA output on my Geforce3 TI 200. I know it supports that resolution, because it worked fine on Windows. Also, in the manual it says the supported resolutions are 640x480 at 60,72,75 refresh rate; 720x400 at 70 refresh rate; 800x600 at 56,60,72,75 refresh rate; and 1024x768, 1280x768, 1280x720, and 1360x768 all at 60 refresh rate. I had the working before on another installation of Ubuntu 9.04, but with my old Dell monitor that broke recently. It will not detect my TV aas a monitor because, well, it isn't. I have tried to edit monitors.xml with 1024x768 instead of 800x600, restarted the x server, and it didn't show up in the display dialog. So then I edited it into the xorg.conf as a mode, but that still didn't work. If I edited a Virtual line into xorg.conf, it could do the resolution in virtual mode, but not as a regular mode. When I tried using xrandr to apply it, it gave me

xrandr: Configure crtc 0 failed

Is there a way to fake the monitor detection in any way? Like I said before, I plugged in my old monitor, and it detected it fine, and used it's native resoluton which is 1024x768, but when I restarted with the tv plugged in it reverted back to 800x600.

PS My final plan is to be able to use 1360x768, but right now I just want 1024x768 to work.

I don't know if it is possible, but I thought if all the monitors are storedsomewhere in the system, I could add a setting for my monitor so that can be the default setting.

bearsomg
August 30th, 2009, 04:35 PM
I kept looking up more online, and I found the answer at freebsd.org. I figured out that it wasn't using the correct resolution because it didn't exist as a mode yet. So in my xorg.conf file under the monitors section, I added the lines

HorizSync 31.47 - 48.36
VertRefresh 56.0 - 75.0
Modeline "1360x768" 84.72 1360 1424 1568 1776 768 769 772 795 -HSync +Vsyncwhich enabled the correct hsync and vertical refresh rates that my monitor supported, and created the 1360x768 mode. All of the lower modes under 1360x768 are enabled now, and all the modes I want show up in the Display settings dialog.

:guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar::g uitar::guitar:

masoud77
September 1st, 2009, 12:36 AM
Hi bearsomg,

I faced a similar issue while I tried installing Ubuntu on my father's PC. He doesn't use a TV as an output though. He has got a Dell monitor and Nvidia graphics cards. The max resolution that I was able to get was 800x600 even though it gave higher resolutions in Windows (dual boot).

I had installed the restricted graphics drivers and enabled them as well. But no joy. I was wondering whether your solution would work for other resolutions like 1280x800 and 1280x1024. Or will I have to change the numbers. If yes, what would those be?

Thanks,
Masoud
Ubuntu 8.04 LTS

bearsomg
September 1st, 2009, 03:57 PM
Hi bearsomg,

I faced a similar issue while I tried installing Ubuntu on my father's PC. He doesn't use a TV as an output though. He has got a Dell monitor and Nvidia graphics cards. The max resolution that I was able to get was 800x600 even though it gave higher resolutions in Windows (dual boot).

I had installed the restricted graphics drivers and enabled them as well. But no joy. I was wondering whether your solution would work for other resolutions like 1280x800 and 1280x1024. Or will I have to change the numbers. If yes, what would those be?

Thanks,
Masoud
Ubuntu 8.04 LTS

OK, first of all, get rid of the restricted drivers, nothing good comes out of them. In synaptic, search for nvidia, and the only things that come up that should be installed are

xserver-xorg-video-nv, smartdimmer, jockey-gtk, jockey-common. After you have made sure those are the only things installed in the list that comes up when you search nvidia, restart the computer. When you log back in, run the command

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

then run the command

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

When xorg.conf opens, it should look like this:

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# Note that some configuration settings that could be done previously
# in this file, now are automatically configured by the server and settings
# here are ignored.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Scroll down to the monitor section, and add the lines

HorizSync 31.47 - 48.36
VertRefresh 56.0 - 75.0

replacing the numbers with the correct settings for the monitor (horizontal sync range, and vertical refresh rate range.) Then run the command

gtf 1280 800 60

for 1280x800 at 60 refresh rate. Change these settings for whatever resolutions you want to do at the certain refresh rates. It should output something like

# 1280x800 @ 60.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 49.68 kHz; pclk: 83.46 MHz
Modeline "1280x800_60.00" 83.46 1280 1344 1480 1680 800 801 804 828 -HSync +Vsync

Highlight the

Modeline "1280x800_60.00" 83.46 1280 1344 1480 1680 800 801 804 828 -HSync +Vsync

part, and paste it into a new line under the monitors section of xorg.conf. Then in that line, delete the "_60.00" part in the "1280x800_60.00" part, minus the quotes. So now your xorg.conf should look something like:

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# Note that some configuration settings that could be done previously
# in this file, now are automatically configured by the server and settings
# here are ignored.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
HorizSync 31.47 - 48.36
VertRefresh 56.0 - 75.0
Modeline "1280x800" 83.46 1280 1344 1480 1680 800 801 804 828 -HSync +Vsync
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Now scroll down to the screen section and add the lines

DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1280x800" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection

That should allow you to use the 1280x800 resolution at 60 refresh rate in Ubuntu. If you want to add more resolutions, go back through this tutorial and change the numbers with what you want to use, then simply add "modeline_name_here" to the Modes line in the Subsection display that you added. Make sure to backup this file to your documents or something, in case you lose it. By the way, you cannot ever reconfigure xorg.conf or you will lose all the settings that you just entered.:)

masoud77
October 17th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Thanks a ton, bearsomg.

The How To was excellent.

You rock :guitar:

bearsomg
October 17th, 2009, 02:54 PM
I did find out how to do this with the Restricted drivers too. You will need them if you want to play any games on the computer otherwise they will run slow as junk. Just do the same thing after installing the drivers! (And make sure that you are using the correct drivers for your model)