PDA

View Full Version : Nokia N900 Maemo/Linux phone

CbrPad
August 27th, 2009, 05:03 PM
At last, the holy grail in phones as far as I'm concerned - WANT... NOW !! :-)

http://maemo.nokia.com/

http://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7

uljanow
August 27th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Very impressive phone. Gaining root access is done without unlocking or jailbreaking. Just type "sudo gainroot" and your phone belongs to you.

[1] http://flors.wordpress.com/2009/08/27/software-freedom-lovers-here-comes-maemo-5/

tgalati4
August 27th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Really? Image that.

wipeout140
August 27th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Currently got the nokia n810 and nokia 770, the nokia n900 looks amazing and i been waiting for a excellent phone, i was looking towards the android based phones but going possible stay with maemo

tuggy
August 27th, 2009, 06:47 PM
what do you guys think about this from a developer standpoint?
i was thinking in investing some time and code into android apps... but this is just WOW...
i'm geek enough to droll over a phone with linux, but will it matter for all the rest of the people?

Colonel Kilkenny
August 27th, 2009, 07:18 PM
That thing is definitely my next phone. I might even try to develop something for it.
Normal linux (and all tech and frameworks like Qt, PulseAudio, etc) in a phone. Epic win.

And it looks gorgeous. Maemo 6 is going to be even more superior but it's coming Q4/2010 so no point in waiting. A must buy.

lenu
August 27th, 2009, 08:31 PM
i'm curious what options there will be to synchronize the n900 calendar (http://maemo.nokia.com/features/calendar/) with ubuntu - anyone got ideas? i couldn't find information on pc suite / ovi suite working on linux. but based on the fact that i'm quite n00b when it comes to linux, and maemo is linux, i'm thinking maybe there are ways for the n900 and ubuntu to coexist in general, and calendar syncing in particular?

Duncan J Murray
September 7th, 2009, 09:56 PM
I have an E90, which has been a great phone, but it could have been greater - the problem is they used a platform (S60), which in itself is excellent, but is mainly designed around a phone type that isn't very E90-like (i.e. The N95), which is a shame because symbian originates from the Psion, which was the archetypal small computer. The S60 interface is just not snappy enough for me (although I'm not saying microsoft or Rim are any better).

The N900 looks fantastic, - I would probably be using it as a business phone, so it would have to be fast and highly configurable. I like the 3.5mm jack and fm transmitter (so I can use it in the car, without having to buy a new car!), the big screen etc...

Do you think Nokia will provide PC suite in linux format, though?

Petition anyone?

Duncan

kung fu buntu
September 10th, 2009, 04:27 AM
Does anybody knows if it's possible to encrypt the file system?
Or at least a directory + contact info + sms + mms.

What about voice control applications, like in iphone?

Exodist
September 10th, 2009, 04:36 AM
I want this phone so bad I cant stand it. I normally dont give a hoot about cell phones as long as they pick up good. But this phone with a debian based OS opens up a whole new world of possibilities for me.. hehe

murderslastcrow
September 10th, 2009, 05:28 AM
I have an N810 and love it- I just hope they port Maemo 2009 to the N810 through some means, even if it's kinda' slow.

Main reason for this is that they're introducing Qt and compositing in this new OS version. However, considering the 730 USD price tag, I might just go with a myTouch instead, although it runs Android (it's not so bad).

They both include multi-touch support from the new kernel, regardless, so it'll be a good decision either way.

However, since the N900 is more expensive than the AIGO, while the AIGO has a 32-bit processor and more available RAM, I think I would still get an AIGO before N900, as much as I love Nokia for what they've done.

kung fu buntu
September 10th, 2009, 10:22 AM
I want this phone so bad I cant stand it. I normally dont give a hoot about cell phones as long as they pick up good. But this phone with a debian based OS opens up a whole new world of possibilities for me.. hehe
Same thing for me.

I'm very curious and looking forward into the application world, since "The complete ARM Debian distribution can be installed as a Maemo application.[12], making thousands of software packages available (including OpenOffice, Firefox, Java, the GNOME desktop, etc)."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maemo#Software

Another thing is the camera with flash, but I wasn't very happy with what I saw, even though Nokia claimed those pics were made with a pre-final device/firmware.
http://thenokiablog.com/2009/08/31/prototype-nokia-n900-sample-photos/

What worries me, since this is somewhat of a UMPC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umpc) device (I didn't knew what these were I "googled" murderslastcrow's post), is if it's possible to encrypt things, hopefully at the filesystem level.
The principle is the same as it is with laptops.

About the Android... Nokia can run the Android in a virtual machine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNo6pn-dnSQ).

HTC Magic (myTouch) doesn't as a hardware keyboard nor a camera with flash, which are both important for me.
I wonder if Maemo will use make a similar work around (as what google did) for the multi-touch support. I don't understand why they have started to provided multi-touch support at the kernel level now (well, I do... the CEO works in Apple too).

However, since the N900 is more expensive than the AIGO, while the AIGO has a 32-bit processor and more available RAM, I think I would still get an AIGO before N900, as much as I love Nokia for what they've done.

After reading this, I'm curious about UMPC. I'll have to investigate a bit.
Is this one the AIGO MID (http://www.umpcfever.com/news/?postid=828) you are talking about?
In any case, how linux is it?
Can you dpkg and have a root shell like in the N900? ;)

amitabhishek
September 10th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Are Maemo and Moblin related in someway?

Ozor Mox
September 10th, 2009, 11:15 AM
I have an N85 and I really like it. This looks fantastic, it could very easily be my next phone :)

Colonel Kilkenny
September 10th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Are Maemo and Moblin related in someway?

No, not really. Maemo is older (or more mature perhaps) and uses ARM platform instead of x86. Of course both are Linux distros. Nokia and Intel however have agreed to work together when it comes to their open source businesses.

And N900 is 650 USD when preordered, not 730 USD. Or at least that is the price NokiaUSA has atm. Nokia's online store is usually quite expensive so prices are probably cheaper elsewhere.

sideaway
September 10th, 2009, 02:45 PM
It's not coming to New Zealand, is it :(

chris200x9
September 10th, 2009, 03:41 PM
looks impressive but the whole hardware keyboard kills it for me :(

ctrlmd
September 10th, 2009, 03:53 PM
it looks like the first interesting phone from Nokia and i would love to have it

still confused about the interface and how to get things like the multimedia, setting, phone book, etc im lost

M1GEO
November 29th, 2009, 05:09 AM
This phone turned up Friday (27th Nov). I own a Nokia N900, and it is as good as I had hoped. As people have pointed out, you are able to get root dead easily. The system is Debian based, with a specific Nokia kernel. I have tested a few simple programs compiled for its ARMv7 CPU and it works perfectly. The phone runs pretty quickly (providing you dont fill the desktops with images of contacts as widgets (at 10, it slows down a little) due to ram issues).

The only thing I notice thus far, is there is currently no support for MMS (photomessaging). However, from a geeky point of view, its amazing. Comes with menu links to terminal (busybox/ash). Uses PulseAudio for sound, and Xorg for video. Web is provided by firefox mobile (whatever it's called).

I have struggled to get a decent battery life over the last few days. I notice that the battery is smaller (electronically) than the N97 I am replacing (thank god!).

All in all, an amazing phone, especially if you're a geek. Nokia/Maemo have done well. There is no attempt to hide the Linux/Debian subsystem, and you are not sheltered from it if you wish to become involved. However, the user interface supplied does everything... Still a weird for myself, who isused to seeing Symbian S60v5. I am glad to see the back of it to be honest. £499 from Nokia UK.

Recommended. Sorry for the random post. I was attempting to answer some of the questions people were asking.

Exodist
November 29th, 2009, 05:45 AM
My best friend ordered a N900, not sure if its even come in yet.

avdzm
December 6th, 2009, 11:07 PM
This phone turned up Friday (27th Nov). I own a Nokia N900, and it is as good as I had hoped. As people have pointed out, you are able to get root dead easily. The system is Debian based, with a specific Nokia kernel. I have tested a few simple programs compiled for its ARMv7 CPU and it works perfectly. The phone runs pretty quickly (providing you dont fill the desktops with images of contacts as widgets (at 10, it slows down a little) due to ram issues).

The only thing I notice thus far, is there is currently no support for MMS (photomessaging). However, from a geeky point of view, its amazing. Comes with menu links to terminal (busybox/ash). Uses PulseAudio for sound, and Xorg for video. Web is provided by firefox mobile (whatever it's called).

I have struggled to get a decent battery life over the last few days. I notice that the battery is smaller (electronically) than the N97 I am replacing (thank god!).

All in all, an amazing phone, especially if you're a geek. Nokia/Maemo have done well. There is no attempt to hide the Linux/Debian subsystem, and you are not sheltered from it if you wish to become involved. However, the user interface supplied does everything... Still a weird for myself, who isused to seeing Symbian S60v5. I am glad to see the back of it to be honest. £499 from Nokia UK.

Recommended. Sorry for the random post. I was attempting to answer some of the questions people were asking.

Hey,
Tell me how is the support?
Do you use Ubuntu 9.10? Can u sync ur contacts, calendar, etc?

forest555
December 7th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Is there any news about syncing with Evolution and N900 or is it again a usual Nokia's garbage?

Exodist
December 7th, 2009, 07:31 AM
My friend finally got his in. I messed with it for a hour the other day to see if I really liked it. In the end. It ended up feeling like another touch screen phone. Its nice and all. He had desktop cube and everything running on his with 4 desktops.
Nokia makes good quality phones. But I am not sure on the price for it just yet.
The HTC Hero Driod phone may be just as good for most users, not sure on the quality of HTC but they are cheaper.

CanonKen
December 7th, 2009, 08:09 PM
I'm due an upgrade in January and I think this is the phone I will be going for, only one thing puts me off is that you do everything in landscape apart from making calls, I tend to text a lot one handed while at work, can't see this being easy in landscape mode

bladepif
December 9th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Hello Guys,

The phone is really good and fast, but there is no support for Linux sync with email,calenders....

Also not for ubuntu.

The only supported sync is under Win with the new Nokia PC Suite.

Ovi.com also do not have support for the N900.

The nokia support team have no information if and when Linux sync will work, or when the device will be add to the ovi.com page. They hope soon.

CU Online

forest555
December 9th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Yes, unfortunately this phone does not have any support, it is only for wasting time and playing. Nokia is horrible.

Colonel Kilkenny
December 9th, 2009, 12:17 PM
The phone is really good and fast, but there is no support for Linux sync with email,calenders....

Except that you can sync N900 with Exchange. Atm. support is for Exchange 2007 only, but support for 2003 and Google is apparently coming.

M1GEO
December 10th, 2009, 03:46 AM
I'm due an upgrade in January and I think this is the phone I will be going for, only one thing puts me off is that you do everything in landscape apart from making calls, I tend to text a lot one handed while at work, can't see this being easy in landscape mode

Texting one handed is not easy. I upgraded from the N97, which had the option of an onscreen keyboard. The N900 does have an onscreen keyboard too, but it is still a landscape job. The only thing that can be done in portrait is in the phone application. Annoying.

Best thing I can say is Nokia PC Suite in virtual box - however this doesnt always work (the USB support seems somewhat flakey).

Dr. Feltersnatch
December 12th, 2009, 04:44 AM
I just got mine today and still exploring my way around it. The device is a little thick, but much smaller than my e61i. The Ovi store needs to get support for this phone. For the time being, Maemo.org is a great resource.

For anyone interested, I made an icon for the n900 when you mount it.

avdzm
January 17th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Hello Guys,

Also not for ubuntu.

The only supported sync is under Win with the new Nokia PC Suite.

Ovi.com also do not have support for the N900.

The nokia support team have no information if and when Linux sync will work, or when the device will be add to the ovi.com page. They hope soon.

CU Online

oh really,
thats a shame,
well i'll stick with my blackberry

vallhalla81
January 25th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Love it love it love it, want it want it want it, imagin what could be done openbox for some basic x11 then ssh to a server for running programs also sshfs for storage (500gb sound good for your phone?) Movie editing at a blender lvl from your phone can't wait till I can get one so many projects to give to the community

audiomick
January 25th, 2010, 05:22 PM
looks good, and I am looking for a linux phone in the long term, but it has to sync with evolution. I don't care about cameras, playing music or any of that. Just the sync...

markosp
January 27th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Hi!

I have a N900 and am positively suprised how good it is!

But I just want you to know that I can sync over the air with syncevolution and Memotoo. works perfect. I could imagine sync with OVI works too except for notes. The syncevolution site has a "how to", as does the memotoo site. I keep my Evolution and thunderbird on 2 ubuntu laptops, Thunderbird on XP, one s60 phone and the N900 synced via syncevolution and memotoo.

By the way, I'm very pleased with Saunalahti in Finland. I gives me 500KB/s download speeds, sometimes under 300 :-) thats not bad at all.

Ozor Mox
January 27th, 2010, 12:47 PM
I so very nearly bought one of these because my current phone keeps naffing me off (not tempted to go for Symbian again!) I'm just not convinced that this N900 will be that usable as a phone, especially as Nokia are adamant that it's an internet tablet first and a phone second. It looks super powerful and it's probably the most open source thing out there that actually works properly, but I don't like that everything's in landscape (no one handed operation :() and the battery life is reported to be very short. I need my phone to be a phone as well!

philheaton
February 25th, 2010, 10:09 PM
I have one. Got it about 2 weeks ago now and its great. I've hardly used my desktop, laptop or macbook since!
True, as a phone, it leaves much to be desired, but as a kick *** computer that sits in your pocket it is AWESOME.

atentik
May 7th, 2010, 08:37 PM
The N900 is a great phone but the mistake Nokia made was for it to not be able to sync with Evolution via bluetooth.

gnomeuser
May 7th, 2010, 09:17 PM
The hardware is nice though with odd design choices, the connector placements are poorly thought out. The keyboard especially is excellent.

The software is a disaster, with few exceptions such as the inclusion of tracker with the integration for media especially and the very nice webbrowser.

Skype has a horrible bug which totally ruins the otherwise world class integration and functionality - more info (https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6696).

Worst of all is the battery life, you get maybe a day with light-average use.

It's not a bad phone, in fact it could be really great which is what makes it so sad that it really isn't. MeeGo will hopefully unleash the power of the device.

Thalarse
June 5th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Will the N900 get the new meego OS?

I'm wondering if the version of Ubuntu for mobile devices can be made to squeeze into the N900. Then you wouldn't have to worry about Nokia abandoning the phone for new shinier things.

Snow Keld
June 10th, 2010, 04:11 AM
I've already decided to buy this phone (working on the $)

i looked at many different phones, android looked as the only way to go till i stumbled upon the nokia n900

i thank whoever made the VM debian and the person who posted here about syncing with evolution (need that)

when its more of a "pocket computer" you expect the battery to go fast. i just looked up prices for battery's, under $35 for normal ones, could look for an extended life one too (not sure if they make them)

for someone like me who doesnt want anything that isnt linux, anything that isnt open source, then there are a short list of devices. (for me, that will work in the US on T-mobile)

NeoFreerunner (fully open, debian based, but not fast and not stable AND no longer available in the US)

Nokia N900 (mostly open, debian based, STABLE)

Android (mostly open, stable, need v2.1 or better though, 1.6 has too many shortcomings)

...dont know of anything else that is worth looking at...

i started using meego on my netbook (small partition alongside ubuntu of course) and it is VERY nice.

using the debian VM on the n900 it might be wise to simply use chromium, when i have the phone in hand i will be able to see how well it will work with the touchscreen.

i will come back when i have it in hand to give a post on exactly 'howto' get the most out of it as far as ubuntu sync and maybe tips on the debian vm.

epolin
July 24th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Have been trying N900 against HTC Desire.

Basically. Maemo is a tool, Android is a toy.

About Android, it's a bit like Windows, lipstick on a dead body: it has everything that is useless, and limitations and productivity lapses everywhere. You can integrate with Facebook (!) but there is no way to sort the contacts by family name! That's a vanity for rich, inactive teenagers looking for a way to waste their spare time.

Obviously, N900 is not the ultimate hardware yet (thickness, autonomy, location of the connectors...), but it convinced me that there is a robust future for Maemo/Meego, with a long ramp up, like Ubuntu.

ve4cib
July 24th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Will the N900 get the new meego OS?

I'm wondering if the version of Ubuntu for mobile devices can be made to squeeze into the N900. Then you wouldn't have to worry about Nokia abandoning the phone for new shinier things.

MeeGo will work on the N900, but Nokia is not officially supporting it, if that makes any sense. Basically, the MeeGo devs will have an N900 port that you're free to use, but it'll be your responsibility to install it, and if anything goes seriously wrong it's your problem. It's like installing Ubuntu on your shiny new Windows 7-equipped HP laptop: you can do it, it'll work, but don't expect HP to help you solve any problems you encounter.

All that having been said, I'm looking forward to trying out MeeGo once they have a stable, complete release for handsets this fall. It looks like it'll support portrait-mode better than Maemo does (the N900 is pretty much a landscape-only device, barring a few programs that will rotate themselves).

markosp
July 26th, 2010, 06:28 AM
Don't expect any support from Nokia even if you are using Maemo. In my point of view, the amount of support will be just as great if you install meego :p
The community is as good as any linux community -like ubuntu =D>

rajnikhil
December 14th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Just got mine yesterday and I'm absolutely in love with it. However I had a doubt, i.e. can I ssh into my desktop from my n900 and control my desktop? is this possible?

ve4cib
December 14th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Yes, it is possible to install the OpenSSH client *and* server on the phone. I think you need to enable the "Extras" catalogue in the app manager to get access to those packages though.

So not only can you SSH into your desktop from your phone, but you can also SSH into your phone from your desktop. (I find the latter very useful for mounting the phone as an sshfs network drive in Nautilus to move files on and off of it if I don't want to fish out the USB cable.)

The Maemo forums are a good place to search for tips and tricks regarding the n900.

rajnikhil
December 14th, 2010, 03:17 PM
God only knows what took anyone to realise the potential of a linux OS for phone. But better late than never, it makes life so much more easy and connected.:p

slackthumbz
December 14th, 2010, 03:27 PM
I've had my n900 for a few months now.

Best. Phone. Ever.