PDA

View Full Version : Just Discovered Mozilla Thunderbird...

sports fan Matt
August 27th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Wow, its much better then having to go into your email inbox, less cluttered and straightforward. Am I crazy for not remembering this program sooner? Thoughts?

scragar
August 27th, 2009, 04:11 PM
I tend to just run checkgmail in my status bar. It uses less ram, it's smaller, cleaner and it let's me do almost anything I want to do(except send emails).
If most of what you want from an email client is to delete spam, know when something you're monitoring changes or get told by friends that you need to log into skype, then it gains my thumbs up.

pwnst*r
August 27th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Wow, its much better then having to go into your email inbox, less cluttered and straightforward. Am I crazy for not remembering this program sooner? Thoughts?

wait.. you have to access your email from the thunderbird inbox still, correct?

Sealbhach
August 27th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Yep, I use it to read my mail from Yahoo. Works very well. Remember to tick the "leave messages on server" option though.

joey-elijah
August 27th, 2009, 05:33 PM
I use spicebird - which is based on thunderbird. I love the fact that it takes less than 30 seconds to get your Gmail account configured, your google calendar, tasks and chat all integrated, too!

fatality_uk
August 27th, 2009, 05:41 PM
+1 for Outlook.
*Wait wrong forum...
*Slopes off in a hurry

I use Evolution on Linux and Windows. Does it all for me.
I like Thunderbird but I am used to a PIM so use that.

sports fan Matt
August 27th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Sealbach, where is that option in the latest TB?

TheNessus
August 27th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I don't see any advantage using an email client on your computer. Unless it's for viewing your emails when offline.

If it's about the calendar issues, Sunbird is a good option (thundebird minus email stuff), and even rainlendar is a good option.

virusiidx
August 27th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Thunderbird with IMAP is awesome! I have like 5 email accounts I keep track of all in Thunderbird in IMAP. I also run checkgmail also, but I wish there was a way to add multiple gmail accounts without having to run multiple instances, unless there's something I'm missing?

Hogosha
August 27th, 2009, 05:50 PM
there are advantages to having an e-mail client over a browser

1. I work at a university and they send me updates on the network status if there is any change and i would hate to have to refresh a browser to make sure i catch them

2. I have school and work and personal accounts and i like having them all in one place without having to worry about forwarding.

joey-elijah
August 27th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I don't see any advantage using an email client on your computer. Unless it's for viewing your emails when offline.

If it's about the calendar issues, Sunbird is a good option (thundebird minus email stuff), and even rainlendar is a good option.

Sometimes when working, it's preferable to have an E-mail app open rather than a web browser. My e-mail app constantly refresh itself and alerts me - i need to install add-ons/etc to get the same functionality from a browser.

PLUS

Spicebird integrate my google calendar, contacts, chat, email, tasks, etc. So that's 4 less tabs open in a window.

FuturePilot
August 27th, 2009, 06:15 PM

If you have multiple accounts it kind of gets annoying to log into each one to check your mail. Also, mail clients have way more options than any web interface.

gletob
August 27th, 2009, 06:16 PM

I really don't see an advantage either but I just like a seperate program for my email. It's pure preference

1. I work at a university and they send me updates on the network status if there is any change and i would hate to have to refresh a browser to make sure i catch them

2. I have school and work and personal accounts and i like having them all in one place without having to worry about forwarding.

Sometimes when working, it's preferable to have an E-mail app open rather than a web browser. My e-mail app constantly refresh itself and alerts me - i need to install add-ons/etc to get the same functionality from a browser.

PLUS

Spicebird integrate my google calendar, contacts, chat, email, tasks, etc. So that's 4 less tabs open in a window.

While I'm not arguing that a client is better or vice versa, new Email does show up in Gmail without any refreshing required.

blur xc
August 27th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I use the gmail applet thingy on my top panel. Nothing is faster- unless you get a lot of emails. Then I could see how an outlook-like client would help.

I don't get more than 10 emails a day and that's easy to monitor w/o a client.

I tried imap once, and it was a pita. WAY too slow, and enormously frustrating. I have a gmail deally on my iGoogle homepage also..

BM

pwnst*r
August 27th, 2009, 06:25 PM
While I'm not arguing that a client is better or vice versa, new Email does show up in Gmail without any refreshing required.

^^this

in a work environment email client is mandatory. not so at home where i strictly use web.

RiceMonster
August 27th, 2009, 06:30 PM
I set up gmail in Evolution a while just for the heck of it. However, I use my personal email so little that using the web version is more than enough.

Mark76
August 27th, 2009, 07:53 PM
With SeaMonkey (Firefox's ugly cousin :lolflag:) mail, you don't even need a mail alert applet :D

Sealbhach
August 27th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Sealbach, where is that option in the latest TB?

Hi,

I don't know if I have the latest, but I have version 2.0.0.23. In Thunderbird just go Edit/Account Settings and then click on Server Settings, you'll find the option there.

Arthur_D
August 27th, 2009, 10:47 PM
I really don't see an advantage either but I just like a seperate program for my email. It's pure preference
Same here.

Irihapeti
August 27th, 2009, 11:06 PM
I was on dialup for a couple of years. I found a definite advantage to having my emails available offline.

When I was on the move (spent a couple of weeks at holiday parks etc earlier this year), all that was available was unsecured wireless. I felt a lot more comfortable downloading/uploading messages over SSL than reading them over an unsecured http connection.

Now that I have a high-speed internet connection at home, I still use offline email because it's become a habit. Well, that and not having to wade through a couple of screens with graphics and menu options that I don't need.

yabbadabbadont
August 27th, 2009, 11:09 PM
I felt a lot more comfortable downloading/uploading messages over SSL than reading them over an unsecured http connection.

Just to be a bit pedantic, unless the e-mail in question was encrypted when it was sent, every node between the source and destination could have viewed the contents... ;)

Still, I agree that you should use as much security as you can.

sports fan Matt
August 27th, 2009, 11:24 PM
That is the version here too 2.0.23..thanks for that tip!

TheNessus
August 28th, 2009, 04:17 AM

1 - Mailchecker in Conky or "mail notification" that sits on your tray... same deal.

2 - gmail?

drumsticks
August 28th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Webmails are why GPG signed and encrypted emails will never take off. The only safe place to sign/encrypt is on your local machine. Using webmail equates to sacrificing privacy. Nevermind all the https or wpa2 or whatever stuff. Once it's on the email server, it's anyone's game.

BTW, I*use Claws Mail now after years of Thunderbird.