PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu change to rectangle font

huahsin68
August 27th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Hi,

I am having a critical situation where I have no clue on how this is going to solve. I am using Ubuntu 9.04, not using Compiz or any 3D rendering. Everything back to the default setting.

Yesterday I did an update through the update manager, I didn't restart my Ubuntu, and just Hibernate the PC. At the following day, when I turn on my PC, the font gone. All the font are change into rectangle since in log-in screen, even though I have log-in, the font in desktop environment are change into rectangle as well. This is same to the gnome-terminal too. In conclusion, I can't see any proper 'English' text. But I can see the start up screen when Ubuntu boot up.

Is this cause by the previous update? Do I need to restart my PC everytime I did an update? How to solve the problem in this 'rectangle' environment?

Hope I am giving enough information here.

THanks @!

huahsin68
August 29th, 2009, 02:36 AM
Hi all,

I have fixed my problem. Recently I have installed Pango v1.24 as required by the project. Later I did an update through Update Manager. I did not go through what was being update during that time. Thus in my next login, I got this rectangle text problem.

Here is the solution, after booting up the Ubuntu 9.04 and come into the login screen, press Ctrl+Alt+F2 to switch to run level 2, and then uninstall the recently installed pango v1.24 by issue the command sudo make uninstall. Root access right is required. And then restart Ubuntu will solve the problem.

Basically I do not really understand what run level stuff exactly is although I have been reading some text from wikipedia, I just need a way for me to go back into console mode where I can see the 'English' text and issue some command to the computer. I can't do this using the gnome-terminal because all text was change to rectangle.

Although I have solve this problem, but it create another problem for me where I require pango library in my project. And now I have uninstall it. Sign~ Anyhow, problem solved.

EDIT: Thanks to this post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=455987) on reminding me the problem.

THanks @!