PDA

View Full Version : If you were/are a musician what instrument would/do you play?

HappinessNow
August 27th, 2009, 01:00 PM
If you were/are a musician what instrument would/do you play?

GavinX
August 27th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Steel pan and bass guitar.......... I play both.

Swagman
August 27th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Guitar and Trumpet

toejamfootball
August 27th, 2009, 01:19 PM
I've played Bass guitar for 8 years, and Double Bass for 4 or so months :)

koshatnik
August 27th, 2009, 01:22 PM
I can't play any instruments but I would love to learn piano, violin, delta blues guitar and the harp. I'd like a harp in my front room. Just as an ornament. Awesome looking things. I could dry my laundry on it.

RiceMonster
August 27th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Guitar, Bass, Drums, Piano

I play guitar the most though.

Dragonbite
August 27th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Tenor Saxophone

pwnst*r
August 27th, 2009, 02:54 PM
am:

acoustic/electric guitar
drums
some keys

here's an mp3 of me doing a solo over a backing track using a custom carvin electric>Line 6 guitar port>PC

*sorry, was recorded a little low so you have to crank it*

shiva.n
August 27th, 2009, 03:00 PM
West African hand percussion...

Ofcourse I play all the tables, chairs, water coolers, helmets, doors etc etc

Ozor Mox
August 27th, 2009, 03:07 PM
I play the piano. I want to find the time to learn the acoustic guitar as well.

Clopin
August 27th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I'm currently playing guitar and piano. I'd love to play sax though.

bodyharvester
August 27th, 2009, 03:35 PM
i play electric guitar, "what are those wooden things? chairs?"

a point to anyone who can tell me where that quote came form :D

RiceMonster
August 27th, 2009, 03:40 PM
i play electric guitar, "what are those wooden things? chairs?"

a point to anyone who can tell me where that quote came form :D

idk if it's right, but it reminded me of that Metalocalypse episode where they had to play acoustically to get rid of a troll or something

chriskin
August 27th, 2009, 04:01 PM
idk if it's right, but it reminded me of that Metalocalypse episode where they had to play acoustically to get rid of a troll or something

i wasn't fast enough then

back to subject
synthesizer and a bit of guitar and bass-guitar.

Firestem4
August 27th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I play the electric guitar. I can play the bass by extension that its a guitar lol. (I dont own one nor practice on a bass though).

I want to learn to play the Piano and Cello.

chriskin
August 27th, 2009, 04:28 PM
I play the electric guitar. I can play the bass by extension that its a guitar lol. (I dont own one nor practice on a bass though).

I want to learn to play the Piano and Cello.

playing the bass and playing the guitar is not the same thing (!)

RiceMonster
August 27th, 2009, 04:33 PM

Yes, but knowing one makes it very easy to learn the other.

chriskin
August 27th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Yes, but knowing one makes it very easy to learn the other.

true, but this is not what he said

Firestem4
August 27th, 2009, 04:49 PM

Electric and Bass guitars are both wooden sticks with strings. one just happens to have more strings than the other.

(I never stated I was great at it but I CAN play the bass.)

chriskin
August 27th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Electric and Bass guitars are both wooden sticks with strings. one just happens to have more strings than the other.

(I never stated I was great at it but I CAN play the bass.)

electric guitar is played using a pick, bass doesn't :) - unless you want to play something really fast or you are really just starting

and the role in the band is way different as well

one can easily move from guitar to the bass guitar - but one can also move from bouzouki to guitar without facing great difficulty :)

SpenceMakesSense
August 27th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Drumset/various percussion. I play the quads in Marching band.

Bölvağur
August 27th, 2009, 05:05 PM
the guitar.

bodyharvester
August 27th, 2009, 05:16 PM

Awaken, yup

+1 to you

Murderface said it :D

fela
August 27th, 2009, 05:18 PM
I learn the violin, I love it. Although sometimes it's hard getting away from stuff to practise. It's a great instrument though.

I also want to learn the piano, drums and/or guitar. Not sure which as of yet...

I started learning the violin when I was 5, since then I've gone to about grade 6 or 7 (haven't been doing grades though), in 8 years. That's almost one grade per year! ;)

Also, I had a bad start with it, as I had something like 7 or 8 teachers to begin with, each in small periods of time. I had long gaps with no teacher, but now I think I've found one to stay with. My two sisters are also learning the violin.

.Maleficus.
August 27th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Guitar. I'm actually shopping for a seven string as I type.

Le-Froid
August 27th, 2009, 05:59 PM
guitar bass and drums
(I only play guitar)

decoherence
August 27th, 2009, 06:31 PM
In a band I usually play bass. I also play piano and guitar and I'm a better drummer than many people who call themselves 'drummers' though I wouldn't call myself a drummer.

My bass gods are Chuck Rainey, Tony Levin and Chester Thompson (who often played bass with TOP on the Hammond B3 pedal board that most people take off)

RiceMonster
August 27th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Awaken, yup

+1 to you

Murderface said it :D

Sweet. I mainly remember Skwisgaar calling them "grandpa's guitars". What a great show. I need to watch more of it.

TheNosh
August 27th, 2009, 06:35 PM
i play nothing, but i would like to play acoustic guitar.

Baneblade
August 27th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Drums! :D

Firestem4
August 27th, 2009, 07:46 PM
electric guitar is played using a pick, bass doesn't :) - unless you want to play something really fast or you are really just starting

and the role in the band is way different as well

one can easily move from guitar to the bass guitar - but one can also move from bouzouki to guitar without facing great difficulty :)

You CAN pick a bass if you want to you know. And also I do know the differences between playing and strumming a bass and a 6 string. Again I'm not the best but I can play a tune.

:guitar:

HappinessNow
August 28th, 2009, 04:52 AM
I can't play any instruments but I would love to learn piano, violin, delta blues guitar and the harp. I'd like a harp in my front room. Just as an ornament. Awesome looking things. I could dry my laundry on it.

They also have harp/bass guitar combos, have you looked into those?

West African hand percussion...

Ofcourse I play all the tables, chairs, water coolers, helmets, doors etc etc

I have taken West African Drumming in the past, Drum circles are awesome.

I also play Upright Bass. :P

MikeTheC
August 28th, 2009, 05:18 AM
Were... therefore would play guitar (electric, acoustic 6 string, acoustic 12 string, in that order of priority).

Not really interested in much else, instrument-wise, for myself.

pwnst*r
August 28th, 2009, 05:20 AM
no love with my solo i uploaded on the first page! =/

HappinessNow
August 28th, 2009, 05:22 AM
no love with my solo i uploaded on the first page! =/Do have a YouTube link opposed to a .zip file?

gletob
August 28th, 2009, 05:30 AM
With my Yamaha I can play any instrument you want. It might not sound great but I can.

Just the piano. And those stupid fake flutes you play in elementary school.

I'm a big fan of the steel drum though.

geogur
August 28th, 2009, 05:32 AM
Strings in general anything with strings , my favorate in lead electric guitar.

HappinessNow
August 28th, 2009, 05:32 AM
Just the piano. And those stupid fake flutes you play in elementary school.

Recorders?

hanzomon4
August 28th, 2009, 05:33 AM
I play guitar and bent circuits

lisati
August 28th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Instruments I have played include:

Piano
Recorder (the thing some people mistakenly call a 'flute')
Clarinet
Trombone
Bagpipes (kept on running out of breath - and that was before I was a smoker)
Church organ (both pipe [once] & electric)

HappinessNow
August 28th, 2009, 05:39 AM
Instruments I have played include:

Piano
Recorder (the thing some people mistakenly call a 'flute')
Clarinet
Trombone
Bagpipes (kept on running out of breath - and that was before I was a smoker)
Church organ (both pipe [once] & electric)

I like your list format; Instruments I have played:

West African Drums
Cello
Upright Bass
Recorder
Piano
spoons

Instruments I would like to play:

didgeridoo
cow bells
electric bass guitar

geogur
August 28th, 2009, 05:42 AM
I like your list format; Instruments I have played:

West African Drums
Cello
Upright Bass
Recorder
Piano
spoons

Instruments I would like to play:

didgeridoo
cow bells
electric bass guitar

Cello`s are tough to master ,but I really like the tone of a well played cello

HappinessNow
August 28th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Cello`s are tough to master ,but I really like the tone of a well played cello
Upright bass even harder! It's like a huge cello that you have to be able to stretch your fingers out to a painful way. Must be easier for people with big hands?

geogur
August 28th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Upright bass even harder! It's like a huge cello that you have to be able to stretch your fingers out to a painful way. Must be easier for people with big hands?

thats why good bassits cant play guitar fast they all have yeti paws Huge hands and fast guitarists have tiny hands

pwnst*r
August 28th, 2009, 06:31 AM
thats why good bassits cant play guitar fast they all have yeti paws Huge hands and fast guitarists have tiny hands

lol, wrong

pwnst*r
August 28th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Do have a YouTube link opposed to a .zip file?

boink

http://www.mrbrownee70.com/tunes/?id=L699Z7B92

HappinessNow
August 28th, 2009, 06:49 AM
am:

acoustic/electric guitar
drums
some keys

here's an mp3 of me doing a solo over a backing track using a custom carvin electric>Line 6 guitar port>PC

no love with my solo i uploaded on the first page! =/

boink

http://www.mrbrownee70.com/tunes/?id=L699Z7B92

I have to say that is pretty awesome!:guitar:...do you play in a band also?

Tutigan
August 28th, 2009, 07:02 AM
I play:

Flute (I now have an open holed, silver Pearl!)
Alto sax
Piano (kind of :P)
bass guitar
kind of electric guitar (tab -badly)

I would like to play:

cello
Bb Clarinet
Soprano sax

CJ Master
August 28th, 2009, 07:06 AM
I play jazz-level trumpet (e.g. I can get in on some payed gigs, but I'm just going to keep practicing more.)

I also play advance-level Barritone e.g. Euphonium (e.g. I'm one step below my mad trumpet sk1LLZ.)

I also play intermediate-level Tuba (e.g. I can play many songs, I can't play many songs.)

I'm also currently in phase-one learning Percussion.

...whew! I've been playing for, oh, 4-so years I guess, took each instrument after the other.

Tutigan
August 28th, 2009, 07:09 AM
I play jazz-level trumpet (e.g. I can get in on some payed gigs, but I'm just going to keep practicing more.)

I also play advance-level Barritone e.g. Euphonium (e.g. I'm one step below my mad trumpet sk1LLZ.)

I also play intermediate-level Tuba (e.g. I can play many songs, I can't play many songs.)

I'm also currently in phase-one learning Percussion.

...whew! I've been playing for, oh, 4-so years I guess, took each instrument after the other.

Oh my! Nice... LOL!
I'm a level 15 flautist (I could become a teacher if I so desired!), been playing for 8 or so years... Euphoniums sound fairly god damn awesome (but then again... most brass and woodwind does in my eyes! (or ears)

pwnst*r
August 28th, 2009, 07:16 AM
I have to say that is pretty awesome!:guitar:...do you play in a band also?

nah, work gets in the way :(

HappinessNow
August 28th, 2009, 07:22 AM
nah, work gets in the way :(I have quite a few friends who are in bands some much more successful then others, only a few make ends meet by performing full time. Most use work to enable them freedom to do what they love most,...make music.

I hope that you can do the same one day.

pwnst*r
August 28th, 2009, 07:24 AM
yeah, i don't want to make money doing it though, i just do it cuz i like to play and it's a good hobby. thanks for the encouragement though!

CJ Master
August 28th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Oh my! Nice... LOL!
I'm a level 15 flautist (I could become a teacher if I so desired!), been playing for 8 or so years... Euphoniums sound fairly god damn awesome (but then again... most brass and woodwind does in my eyes! (or ears)

I strangly also love the Euphonum's sound. It's not over-the-top (or I guess over-the-bottom) bass like Tuba, but it's a good "rhythm" instrument if you will, with a nice rich sound.

But hey, trumpet also sounds cool. I'm waiting for the day I can actually be half-good at improvising *curses under breath*

Tuba is ok... but I dropped learning it this year. It was too much of a pain moving around tbh, and I just didn't really get into it for some reason or another. But I know the barebones of it, which is good.

I simply love playing drums for some crazy reason, so that's why I'm learning percussion this year. Wish me luck!

HappinessNow
August 28th, 2009, 07:26 AM
yeah, i don't want to make money doing it though, i just do it cuz i like to play and it's a good hobby. thanks for the encouragement though!Good Welcome!

HappinessNow
August 28th, 2009, 07:27 AM
I simply love playing drums for some crazy reason, so that's why I'm learning percussion this year. Wish me luck!What kind of drums are you learning?

I love West African Drums!

Tutigan
August 28th, 2009, 07:29 AM
But hey, trumpet also sounds cool. I'm waiting for the day I can actually be half-good at improvising *curses under breath*
Yeah I know the feeling... my gf's brother is good at impro with his sax and I sob everytime I fail at it... (nt rly lol)

Wish me luck!
Good luck!

Lavaeagle
August 28th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Ideally:
Guitar - Play
Piano - Have begun to play
Bass - Not as much fun as guitar

karthick87
August 28th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Drums..

Tutigan
August 28th, 2009, 07:37 AM
yeah, i don't want to make money doing it though, i just do it cuz i like to play and it's a good hobby. thanks for the encouragement though!

I love it when I hear say something like that!
To me, music is a gift that should be shared!
I love being invited to play at an art gallery opening or something of the sort! (they generally pay with drinks and dinner instead of moneyz)

Tutigan
August 28th, 2009, 07:39 AM
There seems to be a recurring theme of drums and African Drums...
Understandably though! LOL I also love African drums!

PurposeOfReason
August 28th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Trumpet, French Horn, and Piano.

I've forgotten the first too mostly, don't even have them anymore but I still remember notes and can buzz around in shops if they let me. I can get going on the piano pretty quick but I don't have one of those either, no room for it and I hate keyboards with a strong passion. They keys don't feel right.*

I can't wait until I either have a bigger apartment or a house so I can get a nice grand piano for it.

I really liked the horn too. What happened is I played trumped for 7th and 8th grade and was then in the highest level band which had no horns. I got next to last chair on the test (I really stood no change just getting braces and others playing for since 5th grade) so myself and the last chair guy volunteered for horn. The teacher was a jerk though and expected us to master it right away . . at age 14. For those who don't know you can play C, E, G, C all without touching a key. A wee bit of control is needed. Anyways, because of that teacher I gave it up for a lost cause.

*Learned on real ivory keys

ken_do_san
August 28th, 2009, 09:04 AM
I know it's not much of a musical instrument, but I enjoy the harmonica, versatile, portable and it has a sweet sweet sound to it :)

pwnst*r
August 28th, 2009, 09:07 AM
7 pages of people playing instruments and i'm the only one that's got a recording? come on people!

keiichidono
August 28th, 2009, 09:09 AM
I used to play lead guitar. If i got into music again it would be bass for sure.

HappinessNow
August 28th, 2009, 09:09 AM
I know it's not much of a musical instrument, but I enjoy the harmonica, versatile, portable and it has a sweet sweet sound to it :)I used to have a little miniature harmonica that a friend gave me, I enjoyed it very much!

gn2
August 28th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I sometimes play ukulele and guitar. (badly)

Would like to play a theremin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theremin).

RiceMonster
August 28th, 2009, 03:12 PM
7 pages of people playing instruments and i'm the only one that's got a recording? come on people!

I have many recordings. I think I'll post some of the unserious-stuff like my metal version of the starwars imperial march. Can't right now, I'm at work.

.Maleficus.
August 28th, 2009, 03:18 PM
As soon as I learn how to record something I'll post it :D. I've been playing around with Guitar Rig and it seems easy enough but when it gets right down to using it...

Dragonbite
August 28th, 2009, 04:35 PM
I have many recordings. I think I'll post some of the unserious-stuff like my metal version of the starwars imperial march. Can't right now, I'm at work.

Oooo, that sounds interesting! Can't wait for that.

pwnst*r
August 28th, 2009, 04:57 PM

now we're talking!

HappinessNow
August 28th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Sounds awesome!...looking forward to hearing your music!

RiceMonster
August 28th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Hehe, it's not amazing. it's something I recorded one afternoon for the heck of it.

I'll post it when I get home from work though.

fualad
August 28th, 2009, 06:50 PM
I play the crystal harmonica, has the most haunting sound I've found.

donkyhotay
August 28th, 2009, 06:57 PM
I play tuba

jamescox84
August 28th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Dabble with the Harmonica (blues-harp).

Currently learning Trumpet.

MoxieAndWhimsy
August 28th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Irish whistle.

I also have a super high action guitar that I can't play for the life of me.

HappinessNow
August 28th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Irish whistle.

Awesome instrument!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-pLklK-GCc

TheGurkha
August 28th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Guitars (Ibanez and Gretsch)
Ukelele (Clearwater)
Banjo Ukelele (Hohner).

xuCGC002
August 28th, 2009, 10:07 PM
I play the guitar and the synth. I play bass too. Pretty much most fretted instruments I can play.

RATM_Owns
August 28th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Guitar.

I play all kinds of metal, but I prefer to write progressive, thrash, death and grindcore.

nothingspecial
August 28th, 2009, 10:35 PM
In order of expertise (or rather reverse order of uselessness)

Bass (20 years now, I would say I can play it)
Mandolin (Not bad, no Bill Monroe)
Harp (the blowing type)
Guitar (we`re getting pretty bad now)
Piano (shouldn`t even be on the list but I can play a walking bass and improvise the blues over it)

HappinessNow
August 29th, 2009, 12:41 AM
In order of expertise (or rather reverse order of uselessness)

Bass (20 years now, I would say I can play it)

All genres? Classical, Jazz, Rock, Folk, bluegrass, etc. etc.?

nothingspecial
August 29th, 2009, 09:00 AM
I don`t know of any classical electric Bass guitar music but yeah I can play all those genres. The principal is the same. I`ll admit I`m pretty rubbish at slapping, but I can do it.

RabbitWho
August 29th, 2009, 09:06 AM
I'd love to be able to play the nose flute.

What on earth is an "Irish whistle"?

This?
http://www.cic.ie/images/TurasCeoilMor.jpg

Or this?
http://www.whistleanddrum.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/f/e/fea-ni-c.jpg

HappinessNow
August 29th, 2009, 09:23 AM
I don`t know of any classical electric Bass guitar music but yeah I can play all those genres. The principal is the same. I`ll admit I`m pretty rubbish at slapping, but I can do it.My apologies I thought you played Upright Bass.

Nozze
August 29th, 2009, 12:02 PM
I play a little guitar. Have a custom painted Eagle Salmath Lucifer.
picture: (it's very big) http://img337.imageshack.us/i/dsc0170.jpg/

Little Bit
August 29th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I took piano lessons but I hated it. I would absolutely love to play the violin though! It's so versatile. You can "saw a fiddle" and play some kick-butt country and bluegrass, and you can also plaaaaaay a soaring, sweet violin in a stirring concert with an orchestra. It's the best of both worlds!

Amy

pwnst*r
August 29th, 2009, 04:09 PM
9 pages and i've got the only recording?

weak.

chriskin
August 29th, 2009, 04:11 PM

weak.

make your pages show 75 posts each, then it would be just 2 pages and it won't seem as weak :)

i once recorded a live i gave but the video is long gone :S

HappinessNow
August 29th, 2009, 04:27 PM

weak.
Perhaps you should post another recording. :P

Nick Brohman
August 29th, 2009, 04:29 PM
The stereo I play very well, the blues harp not so good anymore. I make bamboo scrapers and experiment with the number and depth of the grooves, thickness of material like holes opposite the grooves. Sax and clarinet melt my fibres. I was lucky enough to see Acker Bilk 40 yrs. ago and that was brilliant.
I like both kinds of music.... Rock and Roll
SUITS

spillin_dylan
August 29th, 2009, 04:32 PM
I play guitar & bass right now. I used to play piano a lot, and a little trumpet. I'm trying to learn 5-string banjo right now, and I'd like to learn violin, mandolin and double bass in the future. Oh! And harmonica!

Nick Brohman
August 29th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I took piano lessons but I hated it. I would absolutely love to play the violin though! It's so versatile. You can "saw a fiddle" and play some kick-butt country and bluegrass, and you can also plaaaaaay a soaring, sweet violin in a stirring concert with an orchestra. It's the best of both worlds!

Amy
Don't forget the blues, Amy.
Get a copy of Hot Tuna's albums (I am a grey beard) 'Burgers' and, I think, 'Phosphorescent Rat', or their third LP.
Papa John Creach will open your ears to blues fiddle.
SUITS Nicko:smile:

subdivision
August 29th, 2009, 05:27 PM
I play bass guitar mostly, but I also do piano, trumpet, tuba, trombone, harmonica, and acoustic guitar.

Frak
August 29th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Flute, Piccolo and Saxophone. My native instruments.

xyz
September 13th, 2009, 04:53 AM
voice - piano - synths - computer-related "sounds and instruments"

Bucky Ball
September 13th, 2009, 05:00 AM

Load it into Audacity and boot the volume.

Bass, guitar, piano, drums and about to buy another clarinet. Whatever you shove in front of me really. Ironically, doing a Bachelor of Music Studies in Ethnomusicology/musicology which doesn't require me to play anything!

pwnst*r
September 13th, 2009, 06:04 AM
Load it into Audacity and boot the volume.

no, because that deteriorates the quality.

-grubby
September 13th, 2009, 06:07 AM
I used to play the flute.

Bucky Ball
September 13th, 2009, 06:14 AM
no, because that deteriorates the quality.

? Interesting. Please explain how.

Frak
September 13th, 2009, 06:31 AM
I used to play the flute.
Same.

Love the flute and piccolo. Played it in marching band while I was in High School.

sgosnell
September 13th, 2009, 07:27 AM
I play guitar, mandolin, and mandola. I have played trumpet and clarinet, but not well.

.Maleficus, take a look at the DeArmond SG knockoff 7-string from Musician's Friend. I bought one a few years ago, and it's pretty much the only guitar I play now. It's the best-playing guitar I've ever played, and that covers a lot of guitars over the past 50 years. For the price, it's unbeatable. I bought it because it was cheap, and kept playing it because it's so nice.

Bibek
September 13th, 2009, 09:28 AM
I play the guitar.

cmay
September 13th, 2009, 11:51 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/picture.php?albumid=1342&pictureid=4691

davo11
September 13th, 2009, 02:48 PM
drums for 5 years

pwnst*r
September 13th, 2009, 02:57 PM
? Interesting. Please explain how.

you're re-recording back to an .mp3 with a volume boost which is re-encoding.

cmay
September 13th, 2009, 03:12 PM
I have a old fostex fd-8 digital recorder and I have written songs and played guitar since I was fourteen. Now I play all kinds of music and I play guitar as the main instrument. But I also play bass and all sorts of hand drums an percussions.

I have a banjo I did learn to play a little on and I also played ukuele for a short while. I play the harmonicas and I recently started learning to play a flute. I play open tunings and use slide tube and when I have performed a few times It has been on small places like our local bar and on the street every once in a while.

mostly blues and country now but all sorts of strange music i been writing and playing in my time. I just did not play that much last year.

K7522
September 14th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Clarinet, piano, drums for 11 years guitar for 5

khelben1979
September 14th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Violin is a great instrument which involves precision and perfection, so I would choose to learn this instrument if I would choose.

tazz4vr
September 14th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Thankfully my kids are musically inclined, me, not so much so... however, I love the drums..... In about a week or so, I will have full use of a drum set... nice!

Birch Bark
September 14th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Violin, voice, piano

I want to learn tin whistle.