PDA

View Full Version : Wife goes Linux.

weasel fierce
February 3rd, 2006, 06:35 AM
My wife's laptop has been running Win XP (with service pack 2) for a while, but steadily gotten slower and more lagging. From bootup to the point where you can do stuff, is at least a minute. We ran it through both adware and spybot as well as norton, but it didnt help any (norton pretty much kills the system, as is, speedwise)

Well, maybe I should do this in past tense, because 2 nights ago, without warning, her user profile was corrupted, and everything in her document folders (about 100 mb of stuff) was wiped out. No trace of it anywhere, and when you try to shut down the machine, it gave errors with a bunch of different processes, that were running and could not be shut down.

Angry and frustrated, she finally gave me the go-ahead to install Ubuntu. After some troubles with the wireless card (due entirely to my own sloppy typing), its running like a kitten, and she's all excited about having a safe, stable laptop, that feels new and exciting to play with (especially GIMP)

Moreover, it made me realize how nice Ubuntu is, with a little bit more machine power than I have on my desktop... time to look at upgrades....

heimo
February 3rd, 2006, 06:46 AM
:KS:KS:KS:KS:KS

Here's a command that helped me to convert girl friend to Linux:

sudo apt-get install supertux planetpenguin-racer

prizrak
February 3rd, 2006, 06:51 AM
:KS:KS:KS:KS:KS

Here's a command that helped me to convert girl friend to Linux:

sudo apt-get install supertux planetpenguin-racer
tux games are the best crap that is out there :)

mstlyevil
February 3rd, 2006, 06:57 AM
tux games are the best crap that is out there :)

You said crap. hu hu hu hu.

xmastree
February 3rd, 2006, 07:14 AM
That's one thing I don't like about Windows. The more you install, the longer it takes to start up.

gravediggers
February 3rd, 2006, 11:42 AM
Congrats on converting the wife xmastree. You deserve a crate of San Miguel for that! Of course you have the ulterior motive of bringing your little daughter up in a fully Linux environment, so she doesn't even know what Windows is!?!
Well, that bring's me to the point of why I'm hijacking your thread! My daughter (not so little) wants me to install the cute tux game that was mentioned in this thread. But when I installed it, it didn't get into the menu. I see a whole lot of files in /user/share/games that I assume are for this game, but am not sure which one to link to in the menu editor, and what options? Thought maybe someone who had posted to the thread might help???

xmastree
February 3rd, 2006, 12:51 PM
Congrats on converting the wife xmastree.Erm, I didn't... It's not my thread.
You deserve a crate of San Miguel for that!I'll accept that though. :D

bringing your little daughter up in a fully Linux environment, so she doesn't even know what Windows is!?!Well, she's too young to know the difference just yet, and doesn't understand why she can't play her Jumpstart games... :confused:

My daughter (not so little) wants me to install the cute tux game that was mentioned in this thread. But when I installed it, it didn't get into the menu.
The actual binary won't be in /usr/share/games but in /usr/bin so all you need to do is enter the name. Was it supertux?
Try it in a terminal, just type supertux and see if it goes. If so, that's the command.

Edit: my supertux is in /usr/games but it still works just by typing it.

gravediggers
February 3rd, 2006, 01:09 PM
Sorry dude - on to many threads at once - got confused. BTW, she will love the jumpstart when she gets older. My daughter was hooked from age 4 and took it thru to jumpstart 6 grade about a couple of years ago. Good value! Thanks! supertux works!:)

xmastree
February 3rd, 2006, 01:27 PM
Yeah, she was using jumpstart preschool, artist and kindergarden. All good stuff.

PryGuy
February 3rd, 2006, 03:25 PM
Well, my GF refuses to make a switch...:cry:

Brunellus
February 3rd, 2006, 04:09 PM
Linux advocates are like cultists...we make excellent progress when we convert people at vulnerable moments, like total system failures:

DISTRAUGHT USER: My computer....My computer is broken! It won't even start anymore! **weeps uncontrollably**

LINUX ADVOCATE: I feel your pain....but there is a better way, if you let me show you.

DISTRAUGHT USER (blinking through tears): Really?

PryGuy
February 3rd, 2006, 05:00 PM
I really wish it would be so... But the dialogue that I have is a little bit different in many cases actually:

DISTRAUGHT USER: My computer....My computer is broken! It won't even start anymore! **weeps uncontrollably**

LINUX ADVOCATE: I feel your pain....but there is a better way, if you let me show you.

LINUX ADVOCATE: Yes! Have you ever heared of the Ubuntu Linux?

DISTRAUGHT USER (wiping tears): Well, I don't know... I think I'll better stay with Windows... I know it's unstable but I don't know Linux at all, it's too complicated and I have no time to learn it...

Lord Illidan
February 3rd, 2006, 05:08 PM
I really wish it would be so... But the dialogue that I have is a little bit different in many cases actually:

LINUX ADVOCATE: Yes! Have you ever heared of the Ubuntu Linux?

DISTRAUGHT USER (wiping tears): Well, I don't know... I think I'll better stay with Windows... I know it's unstable but I don't know Linux at all, it's too complicated and I have no time to learn it...

You know, this is my problem too...And they have never used Linux.. so how in heck do they know that it is complicated???????????

PryGuy
February 3rd, 2006, 05:24 PM
Linux is not complicated, it's just different. And in fact, it's better. I was enjoying the *nix philosophy and ease while stydying it. But, we live in the topsyturvy world, so the Windows perverted philosophy is treated as normal by most of the users around. And one really has to learn Linux, it takes time to get used to it.

Brunellus
February 3rd, 2006, 05:24 PM
your mistake is asking them if they've heard of Linux.

Our household migrated because I said, flat out: I am unwilling to pirate windows, nor can we afford to buy a new windows license. The version of windows we were using (ME...*shudder*) is no longer supported, and it would be too much trouble for me to "upgrade."

So the only way to rescue the data on the computer, and then be able to use it, is to change operating systems.

Lord Illidan
February 3rd, 2006, 05:29 PM
I personally rescued the data on my sister's pc with Knoppix. Then she was almost going to switch to linux, helped ofcourse, by nice screenshots of Tuxpaint. But my father wants Windows, because, guess what? He uses Amazon a lot, and doesn't want that his details get lost somewhere in the process because he will be using Linux...

And linux being more secure than Windows...

PryGuy
February 3rd, 2006, 05:37 PM
My dad uses Windows to and I know it's impossible to make him make a switch... Besides, he loves iTunes...:)

poofyhairguy
February 3rd, 2006, 05:57 PM

Yes, the pale skin of us Linux fans often makes normal people reconsider.

.....joking....

Brunellus
February 3rd, 2006, 05:58 PM
I'm resigned to my dad having to stay on windows, because his work requires him to use a number of windows-only apps.

This is a shame, because he has a Sharp Actius MM20--a computer which some vendors (notably EmperorLinux) sell with Linux pre-installed! It's also a shame, since he's actually quite interested in computers, and is always willing to learn new things. But a Linux install wouldn't fit his needs now, anyway. And I don't even really have to support/maintain his computer, since he can have the IT guys at work do that.

My mother, however, is happy with Linux, and even talks (brags?) about it to her friends--"see, I have my own computer in the kitchen...it runs Linux!" She's more interested that she has the computer for her use, and that it's always up. No problems.

My baby brother (ok, he's going to be 11, but still) has a user account on the kitchen computer, and loves it. He even set his GNOME panel to be just the way he likes it...without my help.

So the lesson, again: The future of linux isn't converting old users (Dad), but in reaching new ones (Mom, lilbro).

Brunellus
February 3rd, 2006, 06:01 PM
poofy, that's why the ubuntu human theme is brown!

"Dito sa Silangan ako isinilang
Kung saan nagmumula ang sikat ng araw
Ako ay may sariling kulay-kayumanggi "
-Banyuhay ni Heber

dosed150
February 3rd, 2006, 06:06 PM
my sisters mp3 player wont work with linux on uk iriver h10s the change to usb mass storage thing doesnt work so i dont think ill be able to convert her but i did get her to change from ie to firefox so a small victory there

PryGuy
February 3rd, 2006, 06:13 PM
Yet, another thing is that the Linux is not eye candy enough to please the ordinary users because they like it most of all. Windows is not MacOS X so far in it's eyecandiness but the situation may change when the Vista appears and it will be another problem for Ubuntu.

Virogenesis
February 3rd, 2006, 06:28 PM
PryGuy

1. fake website saying the new windows has been released by crackers.
2. live cd
3. goodness :)

haha but yeah common mistake is linux gets mentioned I've moved my bro onto building a linux based router with no knowledge of linux at all.
Hes liking it but he still thinks like a windows user I hate seeing all these brain damaged clones...

weasel fierce
February 3rd, 2006, 06:36 PM
When you get past the FUD, I think the two types of people that are most likely to be converted, are people who know very little, and people who are very skilled with computers.

The middle grounders know enough windows, that linux wont be intuitive to them.

PryGuy
February 3rd, 2006, 06:36 PM
PryGuy

1. fake website saying the new windows has been released by crackers.
2. live cd
3. goodness :)Excuse me? I couldn't understand what have you meant saying that...:confused:
haha but yeah common mistake is linux gets mentioned I've moved my bro onto building a linux based router with no knowledge of linux at all.
Hes liking it but he still thinks like a windows user I hate seeing all these brain damaged clones...Yeah, it's really terrible, using Windows is like using crutches when you have two feet.:) But the most terrible fact is that you have to try Linux to understand that. And not many Windows users will dare to do that.
When you get past the FUD, I think the two types of people that are most likely to be converted, are people who know very little, and people who are very skilled with computers.

The middle grounders know enough windows, that linux wont be intuitive to them.Exactly!:D

Virogenesis
February 3rd, 2006, 07:03 PM
Basicaly you find\make a website that talks about ubuntu and has a download link.
You go "look at this love its a new version of windows it they leaked a copy that boots up off of cd."

poofyhairguy
February 3rd, 2006, 07:52 PM
Yet, another thing is that the Linux is not eye candy enough to please the ordinary users because they like it most of all.

Give me broadband and 15 minutes on a new Ubuntu box and I will give them more eye candy then they can stand.....and then some more....

nik
February 3rd, 2006, 07:59 PM
Agreed poofy. But not when you first login, and thats what a lot of people care about... By the way, E17 looks good, doesn't it? A bit to much eyecandy pherhaps, but when it's released and they get some more subtle themes I think it'll be great :)

weasel fierce
February 3rd, 2006, 08:00 PM
soimewhat OT, what kind of hardware do you need to really enjoy E17, and how stable is it ?

Stormy Eyes
February 3rd, 2006, 08:02 PM
Give me broadband and 15 minutes on a new Ubuntu box and I will give them more eye candy then they can stand.....and then some more....

Heh-heh. Just wait until E17 is finally ready for public consumption. That's gonna rock like ninja.

Stormy Eyes
February 3rd, 2006, 08:03 PM
soimewhat OT, what kind of hardware do you need to really enjoy E17, and how stable is it ?

Any machine made in the last 3 years should be able to run E17, but it's not very stable yet. The Enlightenment team has yet to release beta versions; the repositories all use snapshots of the raw CVS code. At the moment, E17 segfaults and dies on my Dapper machine.

Brunellus
February 3rd, 2006, 08:03 PM
Heh-heh. Just wait until E17 is finally ready for public consumption. That's gonna rock like ninja.
Yeah. By then you'll be able to run Duke Nukem Forever on Ubuntu.

eriqk
February 3rd, 2006, 08:33 PM

But is it going to be as totally sweeet?

Groet, Erik

poofyhairguy
February 3rd, 2006, 09:59 PM
But is it going to be as totally sweeet?

Groet, Erik

Try it yourself. It runny runs well on older systems.

The CVS script here in the forum did me well.

Stormy Eyes
February 3rd, 2006, 10:01 PM
Try it yourself. It runny runs well on older systems.

The CVS script here in the forum did me well.

Then maybe I should apt-get remove the packages from soulmachine and try the script. Did you get my PM, poofy?

poofyhairguy
February 3rd, 2006, 10:04 PM
Then maybe I should apt-get remove the packages from soulmachine and try the script. Did you get my PM, poofy?

I did. I like the new rain effect the script showed me. VERY cool.

xmastree
February 4th, 2006, 01:41 AM
What's E17? (besides a district in London)

Anyway, I was discussing internet connections with a doctor friend of mine recently. He asked what antivirus program I use. ;)
I said, I don't use one.
Really? why not? :-k
I don't use windows, so I'm pretty much immune. :cool:
What do tou use?
Linux
After discussing what he actually uses the computer for (office/web) I think he could use linux, so I suggested:
Why don't you come to my house and take a look at it?

He hasn't been yet, but I have some CDs here for him. I might just give them to him anyway, and suggest he uses the live CD. But I think it would be better to show him my nice (IMO :rolleyes: ) desktop first, rather than him seeing the basic one. First impressions, right?

AndyCooll
February 4th, 2006, 01:59 AM
I gradually weened my wife off Winblows and on to Linux. I found that by tweaking things here and there the transition for her was practically seamless.

Started off by changing as many apps as possible on the Winblows pc to open source. She is quite a basic pc user, so changing to Firefox and Open Office essentially did the trick. Also got her used to the idea of logging on with password etc (previously had just clicked her picture and in it went) and made the desktop and quick launch as similar as possible.

Then installed Ubuntu on all pc's except for one. Got her using Amarok for the music (its the most user friendly in my opinion). Changed the login screen set up to "Happy Gnome with Browser", i.e. similar to the Winbloze one she was used to. And installed Yahoo! Messenger on the Linux box since she uses that (this potentially might have been the only issue, since at one point she was using this with a webcam).

Finally changed the Winblows box to dual boot defaulting to Ubuntu. Wrote down noddy instructions on how to choose Winblows if she wished.

Has been like that for the last few weeks and she hasn't ever bothered booting in to Winbloze!!

Yey! :cool:

AndyCooll
February 4th, 2006, 02:01 AM
What's E17? (besides a district in London)

IIRC it's the Enlightenment Window Manager, i.e. another alternative to Gnome or KDE

:cool:

PryGuy
February 4th, 2006, 06:16 AM
Give me broadband and 15 minutes on a new Ubuntu box and I will give them more eye candy then they can stand.....and then some more....I'm talking about the out of the box experience:)

lutosdemayo
February 4th, 2006, 06:54 AM
Now why cant i convert my cousin im really p****d about it. He was hit by a virus and he called me. I installed ubuntu and went online to get information on how to fix it. he was ready to reinstall windows but was really hesitant to reformat it because he would loose all his important important documents. after the fix he went back to windows. i even offered to install dreamweaver for him since he does php. so now his pc has defaulted to ubuntu upon boot and i never bothered to change it back to windows just remind him that once ubuntu saved his life....

Virogenesis
February 4th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Hes not ready he wants his windows....
Do what I do to avoid fixing windows problems say you've been using linux too long and have forgoten what you've learnt about windows.
Its cruel but gets you away from dealing with virii and other forms of malware.
Nor do you have to fix the registry when it gets trashed.

PryGuy
February 4th, 2006, 07:19 AM
so now his pc has defaulted to ubuntu upon boot and i never bothered to change it back to windows just remind him that once ubuntu saved his life....I can't agree. He's got his PC and it's his right to install and run what he wants. It's his life, so if still wants Windose even after this accident don't bother trying to force him make a switch. :)

colsinc
February 5th, 2006, 02:42 PM
I just switched the comps in my place to Linux. Originally I installed MEPIS, but have Ubuntu on my comp (it runs my TV card :) ), still got MEPIS on Mum's comp. I did the same as AndyCooll, switching tocross platform apps first (she only needed office stuff, internet and email (open office, firefox, thunderbird). she didn't mind as long as all her stuff worked, ie,
colsinc-I'm thinking of switching the operating system to linux
mum-what's an operating system?
colsinc-it's the software that manages your hardware and provides a platform to install other programs on...
mum-but I like windows
colsinc-<insert linux rant here>
mum-just as long as you don't lose my files
:)