PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Kubuntu resolution problem, but not the one you've heard before

foufga
August 27th, 2009, 03:41 AM
I've used Ubuntu for a while now with Gnome. I've decided I want to try out KDE.

I can't find the answer to my question on Google. Therefore, it has not been answered ;-)

The short version
My Kubuntu VM will not render my desktop at the right resolution.

The long version
My setup: Linux in a virtual machine on OS X.

Linux version: Kubuntu 9.0.4, fresh install
Virtual machine: VMware Fusion 2.0 (vmware-tools installed on Kubuntu)
Host OS: Mac OS X 10.5.8
Host machine: 15" Unibody MacBook Pro, resolution 1440 x 900
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT, 256MB RAM

After installing Ubuntu, I installed vmware-tools from the virtual machine. No problem, except for seemingly unrelated problems (for example, vmware sharing did not install because of known VM sharing issues).

I then changed the resolution (through System Settings) to 1400 x 900, which seemed to work great. The desktop and all fonts rendered at the right resolution. But when I opened any window (by clicking on a folder or app), the fonts appeared entirely too large... as if they were still being rendered at 800 x 600.

I've tried restarting the xorg xserver (via dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg), but that doesn't change anything. Logging out/in or restarting doesn't help either. In fact, when you log back in, the screen resolution stays at 800 x 600 until you click on something, and then the whole desktop renders correctly. (Window fonts are still sized badly.)

Manually changing /etc/X11/xorg.conf values to my screen size make the desktop normal size but the window fonts extra small.

Very annoying, but I'd really like to check out KDE.

Any advice?

krazyd
August 27th, 2009, 05:09 AM
Have you tried forcing a DPI value in System Settings > Appearance > Fonts ?

foufga
August 27th, 2009, 11:15 PM
I just tried that, and it seems to have worked, thanks!

Now, it's not perfect, though, and I wonder if you could help me work out a couple of kinks. Logging out brings me to a login screen rendered at 800x600. Logging back in brings me to a desktop rendered at 800x600 that refreshes into a 1440x900 desktop after about 5 seconds. Can I fix those two problems? Are they indicative of a deeper problem?

krazyd
August 28th, 2009, 02:18 AM
Seems that the X-server isn't detecting the correct DPI of your monitor for some reason.

Setting the DPI in system settings means that KDE resets DPI only once it starts - hence the correct DPI isn't set until KDE loads.

There are ways to set it manually as soon as the X-server starts, though I've never had to do it myself.

See this thread for some info on how to do this, especially Zorael's post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1238039

foufga
August 29th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Hmm... I tried adding the -dpi 96 to kdmrc, but nothing changed. Do you think this is a problem with VMware and not KDE?

krazyd
August 31st, 2009, 11:39 AM
could be...

you could try setting the DPI in xorg.conf instead of kdmrc. I'm not sure how though, you'd have to google.

foufga
September 4th, 2009, 01:05 AM
Interesting update, this problem is systemwide and even affects X11 from within OS X (ie, running an X11 application using OS X's version of X11).

Does that mean it's a problem between X11 and my nVidia graphics card?

krazyd
September 4th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Nope, what it probably means is that your monitor has a buggy EDID (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_display_identification_data) implementation. X relies on reading that info from the monitor (or you setting it manually), while I suspect that OSX would have a specific monitor driver that provides the info.

foufga
September 10th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Thanks for all your help, krazyd. It's people like you who make me want to come back (once I figure out KDE) and help out other people. Much appreciated.