PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop space not showing correctly.

Extol11
August 27th, 2009, 03:31 AM
So I just got a new Dell S2309W monitor to replace my old one which was giving me too many problems. I booted up windows and everything worked fine, the image quality is amazing on the monitor. But when I booted up Ubuntu, for some reason, only about one quarter of the screen shows; the top left part. I know it's got to be the new monitor but this is weird, the old monitor didn't go as high in resolution as this one so why is the image actually getting bigger instead of smaller? I manage to get to the resolution place in preferences but it says it doesn't know what monitor I'm using although it actually shows the resolution (supposedly) set at 1920x1080 as it should be. Anyone knows what might be causing this and how to fix it?

My video card is an XFX Radeon HD 4870 1GG just in case it matters. The only other modification I made to the computer besides the monitor was adding two more GBs of ram for a total of 4. Also, the 3D effects seem to be really slow and the GUI doesn't respond fast.
Edit: Oh and the video card was connected by VGA instead of DVI. It had a piece in it that turned the DVI into VGA.

Extol11
August 28th, 2009, 12:07 AM
I need help here. I don't want to have to reinstall Ubuntu 9.04 and lose everything.