PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] FATAL: could not load modules.dep

m_ghv_geo
August 27th, 2009, 03:18 AM
i have new HP notebook pc dv2-1110us
right know am trying to install ubutnu no matter what i do i can't boot from cd. i know my cd is ok because last month i installed ubuntu on my desktop pc. also tried from the sd card but same error.
first errors
first line says
[ 0.540002] ..MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer connected to IO-APIC
second line says
[ 2.000028] ata1: softreset failed (device not ready)

second fetal errors say
modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/modules.dep: No such file or directory

modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/modules.dep: No such file or directory

i browsed by built in shell /lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/
and i found modules.dep looks ok i tried cat modules.dep and it gived me tones of directores i thnik it is ok

does someone knows what to do in this case please reply :confused::(

confused57
August 27th, 2009, 04:02 AM
See post #2:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=892449

A Google search of your error "MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer connected to IO-APIC" showed several links, if you might want to follow up on some of them if the above doesn't work.

mr_raider
August 27th, 2009, 02:29 PM
amke a bootable USB from the ISO and use that to install OS. When it boots from USB, during the splash screen (ubuntu logo) pull the USB stick out, count to three and put it back in.

abePdIta
September 5th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Hey Mr Raider!! Your "one, two, three" trick works like a charm! =) Are you an archimage??
Thank you very much!

biggz81
September 16th, 2009, 05:04 AM
Holy cow, he is an archimage...I have a usb DVD drive, and the "count to three" trick worked with that as well.

Thanks!

mr_raider
September 18th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Just don't ask me why it works. But Ubuntu should seriously address this issue. I never had it in 8.04 or 8.10. Plus it seems to be restricted to the AMD 770/780/790 chipsets.

gringoise
September 27th, 2009, 07:47 PM
i can't belive it. It works. :P

SUparJErk
September 28th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Solved my problem with 9.04 Jaunty installing from a USB DVD drive, too. That's so silly.

the_guv
October 8th, 2009, 09:07 PM
amke a bootable USB from the ISO and use that to install OS. When it boots from USB, during the splash screen (ubuntu logo) pull the USB stick out, count to three and put it back in.

God's teeth! How bizarre.

mr_raider, you have become a noted guest at my blog, where I couldn't resist this ridiculous little story .. Jaunty Install Problem with AMD Laptops (http://guvnr.com/pc/modprobe_fatal_jaunty_install/)

Thank you, kindly.

BTW, I still get the error messages, but not the crash, with the Karmic install .. so the chaps have been doing something with the kernel, 'spose.

jimjavad
October 19th, 2009, 11:51 AM
It was great solution how did you find that?

I was using USB memory and it works fine with that too
Really thanks

mr_raider
October 21st, 2009, 12:47 AM
I recommend picking up KArmic ASAP once it's released for dv2/dv2z owners. I've been using the beta for 1 week.

Not only does it solve the aforementioned install issue, everything else works. Wifi, webcam, sound right out of the box. HDMI audio is recognized in the new sound prefs utility. ATI drivers (fglrx) that install by default seem to work too.

What's really cool is now suspend and hibernate work, as well as close the lid to suspend.

sideaway
November 17th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Thanks mr_raider,worked a treat! :D