PDA

View Full Version : Why I hate FedEx

PurposeOfReason
August 27th, 2009, 01:55 AM
I recently came into a sizable about of money for rather upsetting reasons (dead grandparents house sold) and in their will was to use the money for something I would enjoy, not bills or school. Took me two seconds to decide on some new bookshelf speakers, floor standing speakers, and receiver. Bookshelf's came yesterday via fedex. He knocked and was already leaving by the time I got to the door AKA leaving my stuff in the open. I am now mildly upset.

The receiver was to come today so I'm sitting waiting for it. I don't wear headphones to make sure I can hear the door. There is a timestamp now saying that there was an "attempted delivery" at 1PM. I was making lunch then literally 10 ft from the door. I would have heard him. There was no note (they are supposed to leave a slip of they can't reach you). I will have to once again cancel everything tomorrow to make sure I catch him. I am now decently upset.

Now the floor standings are due to come in a week. Two boxes, 50lbs each. I'm putting money on him doing something stupid again. I really don't like fedex and I don't see why people don't just use UPS. They're always on time and polite. Heck, even the mail man gets out of his truck and walks ~200 ft to my apartment to give my anything that looks like it could be a vinyl record to make sure it doesn't get damaged.

tl;dr
FedEx needs to get their act together.

racerraul
August 27th, 2009, 02:12 AM
I hear ya... I've had some problems with them in the past too.
However...

If the packages are not signature required, the driver is doing you a favor by leaving them at the door... that is a favor in the sense that you don't have to deal with going to the hub to pick them up.

A signature required request needs to be paid for by the shipping co. Perhaps it's not an extra charge, but none the less it needs to be requested.

Now the attempt without knocking or leaving a attempt for delivery notice is BS... call CS and they will likely ream him a new one.

Shibblet
August 27th, 2009, 02:20 AM
The employee is a direct representative of the company...
His bad service makes the company look bad...

If you reported of his bad service...
The Company doesn't want to look bad...
And thus takes care of the employee...
restoring the good service they want to be known for.

In other words... call FedEx and complain directly about the crappy service.

lisati
August 27th, 2009, 02:27 AM
<aside>
What annoys me more is the SPAM I receive that claims to be from FedEx (but isn't). Do I have a note in my profile to the effect that I'm gullible?
</aside>

Woormy
August 27th, 2009, 02:53 AM
You look like one of the savviest squirrels I've ever seen.

Ms_Angel_D
August 27th, 2009, 09:12 PM
OP I know exactly what you mean. My son is getting ready to begin online high school, as such they provide him with a free printer & laptop.

Keep in mind that I am noticably sick & can barely walk. The day other his 35lb package arrives from the school via fedex. My Husband & I are both home, however he was in the restroom & unable to get the door, so I got to the door as best I could and signed for the package. I asked the guy if he could possibly just sit it inside the doorframe (I don't mean walk in my house I mean put the box on the other side of the door frame this would have required all of a 12 inch movement of the box) He says "No I can't I'll lose my job" as rude as you please then walks off leaving me, a noticeably crippled person standing in the doorway with a 35lb package. Luckily my husband was just in the restroom, but imagine had I been the only one home & been left standing there with that box & absolutely no way to bring it in the house.

Fedex delivery people are rude and cold. I would much rather deal with UPS any day.

PurposeOfReason
August 28th, 2009, 06:25 PM
And here is why I love UPS:

Fedex took 4 days to get a package from Portland OR to Bellingham WA.
UPS took less than 1 day (from timestamps) to get a package from Snohomish WA to Bellingham WA.

Sure the distance is shorter, but I could drive to Portland and back in one day. It'd be the worst day ever, but I could do it. Check the "post your desk" thread later for newer pictures with all my new toys. ;)

HappinessNow
August 28th, 2009, 06:39 PM
...Took me two seconds to decide on some new bookshelf speakers,...Curious...

What kind of speakers did you go with?

You could post your reply here or here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1189446).

PurposeOfReason
August 28th, 2009, 06:43 PM
I got some Energy C-100s because I could get them for $120 and I needed a receiver anyways so bookshelfs were the obvious way to go. Those aren't computer speakers though.

For computer speakers I've heard many good things about Sawn M10 (http://www.swanspeaker.com/product/htm/view.asp?id=373) or anything from them really. It really depends on budget and what music will be playing.

EDIT - You said up to $600. Is that still standing because I can do some quick digging for my dreams. That much for a 2.0 or 2.1 setup and you're going to need a receiver as no computer setup can take a real one.

fualad
August 28th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I hear ya, I prefer UPS over FedEx too.

But OnTrac... Yesterday they droped off a box and the driver actually started asking me what was in the box, repeatedly! He was so damn interested in it, it was creepy. Didn't help the box was all messed up, looked like he was trying to pry up the edges to get a peek inside or something.

Bachstelze
August 28th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Ditto. Too bad Amazon Japan ships only with FedEx to foreign addresses. Now I got a friend there to order stuff for me and ship it with EMS. Got sick of paying an extra 15 euros because they thought they would pay customs for me and charge me for that "service" (in addition to paying back duty, of course) when I didn't ask them to.

Jackelope
August 28th, 2009, 08:18 PM
I must be an anomaly, but I love fedex. But then again, its always been sig. required stuff, so that may change things.

HappinessNow
August 28th, 2009, 08:19 PM
EDIT - You said up to $600. Is that still standing because I can do some quick digging for my dreams. That much for a 2.0 or 2.1 setup and you're going to need a receiver as no computer setup can take a real one.I could go even a bit higher for a quality system.

PurposeOfReason
August 28th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I could go even a bit higher for a quality system.
Music type for listening? 2.0? 2.1? 5.1? Anything against using a traditional setup?

Hogosha
August 28th, 2009, 08:33 PM
i do ups for most things unless they are large or fragile. If you read the small print on any ups agreement 6 ft drops of packages in the warehouse are acceptable. I ordered an entertainment center and had it shipped ups and every piece was broken. I have gotten hard drives that were more than unusable. So if i am getting something that i know can handle a 6 foot drop i go UPS cause they are usually cheaper in my area, but if i care for what i am shipping i use Fed Ex. I don't mind driving across town for something i know will be in one piece