PDA

View Full Version : Jaunty and old cpu, anyone else doing this?

Silvain
August 27th, 2009, 01:24 AM
Have been playing around with Ubuntu 9.04, have it running on a AMD K6 tm(3d) cpu. Have 213 Mbytes ram. A Riva TNT display adapter. Also this system has a linksys ethernet adapter which is working nicely, was able to surf the internet right off after plugging in ether-net cable , very inpressive !

So far issues that I have dealt with include using force=acpi, downloading
some package updates (hoping for shotgun effect to fix possible troubles).Installed a sound car(Diamond Mx300), plugged it in and rebooted system. Wow now my system has sound :)
The old intel chipset motherboard has a early type usb, this has made moving any data to and from flash drives terribly slow. So today I purchased a usb2 4 port pci adapter card. Plugged the card in and booted system up with no complaints. Plugged in a USB flash drive and B O O M , it worked again. Files trasfered in a flash from hard drive to usb drive.

Kudos to the Ubuntu team :guitar:

I did try to install a proprietary nvidia driver earlier, but didn't manage to get the proprietary drive to load up,
I was using a page on this forum the was a how to on NVIDIA driver installs. Will try to install again later.

is anybody else having a good time setting up Ubuntu on their old hardware out there?
:?:

earthpigg
August 27th, 2009, 02:40 AM
in my own way, yes :D

|
|
|
|
v

Error69
August 27th, 2009, 03:14 AM
I too play with Ubuntu on some old hardware. Even though there are plenty of lighter weight alternatives, I still find Ubuntu to run reasonably if you just need to perform basic computer tasks.

Ubuntu 8.04 also runs on my unknown whitebox with a AMD K6 (3D) @ 450mhz, 512mb ram, 20gb hdd.

Ubuntu 8.04 running on my Dell Dimension XPS R400. It sports a Pentium II @ 400mhz, 384mb of ram (maxed), 20gb hdd.

I also have a person who runs Ubuntu 8.04 on his only desktop after wanting an upgrade to a modern OS, from windows 98, and has been happy with the experience. His machine is a Dell Dimension XPS V333. It has an Intel Celeron @ 333mhz, 196mb ram, 8gb hdd.

K.Mandla
August 27th, 2009, 03:20 AM
I do and I don't; I've installed Ubuntu on machines as slow as 75Mhz (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=294292), but wouldn't ever bother with it again. Not because it didn't work, just because I have since found better ways to get an old machine working. ;)

HappyFeet
August 27th, 2009, 03:29 AM
On a machine like that, I would be running puppy linux. It will run much, much faster than jaunty on that rickety old clunker. ;)

t0p
August 27th, 2009, 03:45 AM
My desktop machine has a P4 processor, 256MB RAM, NVIDIA TNT2 graphics card... it's an oldie. I've got Xubuntu Hardy on it, and it works okay. A little slow sometimes, which I put down to the skimpy RAM. It's got the proprietary NVIDIA graphics driver, and I can play Alien Arena on it. Not too shabby, methinks.

When the next LTS comes out (10.04?) I'll install it on this box. And I can't see any reason to believe it won't continue to work okay. I'll probably stick a bit more RAM in along the way, but it won't be a huge upgrade - crucial.com says this box can use 512MB max. It's all good though, and I reckon it'll continue to be good for a good while yet.

SacValleyDweller
August 27th, 2009, 04:49 AM
I had to perform this out of necessity, and went through some tribulations. I posted about them here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1250798), not thinking that a similar thread would be posted here. :redface: