PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars fans: I need an opinion...

stuart.reinke
August 27th, 2009, 12:44 AM
My wife lost a bet and has to watch all six Star Wars movies with me :popcorn:

In what order should I present them to her?

Start with episode 1, so she can see the story from the beginning?

Or

Start with episode 4, that way she won't miss out on the surprises like Luke and Leia being twins and my personal favorite "No, I am your father". (still sends chills down my spine)

what do you think?

t0p
August 27th, 2009, 12:48 AM
I reckon you ought to show them to her in the order in which they were released: ie 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3. That's the narrative George Lucas chose for the story, for very good dramatic and structural reasons.

samjh
August 27th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Hard to say.

Episodes 1 to 6 would be good so she doesn't get the story back-to-front. But you risk her forming a poor opinion of the story due to the garbage acting that is the prequel trilogy.

Episodes 4-6 and 1-3 would be good for first impressions, but then she'll be getting the story back-to-front.

Well, go with 1 to 6. It makes more sense chronologically. Just tell her that the acting and storyline in 1-3 are a lot worse than 4-6. Leaving the best wine until last. ;)

I reckon you ought to show them to her in the order in which they were released: ie 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3. That's the narrative George Lucas chose for the story, for very good dramatic and structural reasons.

Hmmm. George Lucas didn't really have 1-3 when he was making 4-6, so he didn't actually choose the narrative in that order.

Chronon
August 27th, 2009, 12:58 AM
I think George Lucas had at least a rough idea about the prequels when he did the original Star Wars. Recall that it is titled Episode IV: A New Hope. I also don't think there's any special link between chronology and the best order to construct a narrative.

I vote IV, V, VI, I, II, III.

TheNosh
August 27th, 2009, 01:02 AM
Play 4, 5, and 6. then pretend as though the other three never existed, sorta like the second and third matrix movies.

PurposeOfReason
August 27th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Hmmm. George Lucas didn't really have 1-3 when he was making 4-6, so he didn't actually choose the narrative in that order.
False. He feared that if people saw Ep3 and what happened then wouldn't want to see three more.

Jimleko211
August 27th, 2009, 01:15 AM
4-6 then 1-3

t0p
August 27th, 2009, 01:17 AM

When Lucas wrote the original Star Wars movie, he had the whole thing roughed out. If you watch Star Wars, you'll see that at the start, when that intro text scrolls up the screen, it is titled "Part IV: A New Hope". So Lucas did deliberately start with part 4, with the plan to tell 4. 5 and 6 first, to be followed by 1, 2, and 3. I don't think he envisaged that there would be so many years between making Return of the Jedi and The Phantom Menace. But the order of the movies was deliberately chosen, for narrative and structural reasons.

Tristam Green
August 27th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Man, this can go on ad infinitum.

Lucas himself has said that he released 4-6 because of constraints with motion picture technology and his vision for how The Republic should look when compared to The Empire. The Empire was more utilitarian, therefore easier to convey on screen, than the artistic Renaissance-like Republic.

My vote? Show them to her in their intended order, 1-6, and have fun with it. Sure, she may not be as surprised by the revelation that Vader is in fact Luke's father, but she'll understand entirely why Luke is surprised, and why Obi-Wan lied to him in the first place.

Sincerely,
Tristam Green (a fan of the DVD-ending of Episode VI)

pizza-is-good
August 27th, 2009, 01:24 AM

When Lucas wrote the original Star Wars movie, he had the whole thing roughed out. If you watch Star Wars, you'll see that at the start, when that intro text scrolls up the screen, it is titled "Part IV: A New Hope". So Lucas did deliberately start with part 4, with the plan to tell 4. 5 and 6 first, to be followed by 1, 2, and 3. I don't think he envisaged that there would be so many years between making Return of the Jedi and The Phantom Menace. But the order of the movies was deliberately chosen, for narrative and structural reasons.

If you ever watch the extra features in the Star Wars DVDs, then you'll find out that Lucas started with Episode IV because it was very hard for him to get money to do it, so he decided to strat with IV because he knew that even if movie companies didn't like it, the audiences would, so that would guarantee that he would be able to make another movie. Since it was so popular, he just went on to V and VI. The ideas for I, II and III came sometime during the production of V and VI. Ovioulsy the stories weren't written till later.

I recommend you start with I and end with VI. Go chronologically.

TheNosh
August 27th, 2009, 01:28 AM
If you watch Star Wars, you'll see that at the start, when that intro text scrolls up the screen, it is titled "Part IV: A New Hope"..

when it was first released it was just called Star Wars.

pizza-is-good
August 27th, 2009, 01:30 AM
(a fan of the DVD-ending of Episode VI)

Really?, and this isn't to get inot a big debate here, but I didn't like it...

I dunno, it seemed like it didn't make a lot of sense, since Vader turned back into Anakin at the end, and it was Anakin that died, not Vader.
If Vader had died as Vader, then it would have made sense for them to put Anakin.

Other than that, I like the original theatrical version Endor party. The music is very nice. But the remastered edition is good too.

Tristam Green
August 27th, 2009, 01:32 AM

I dunno, it seemed like it didn't make a lot of sense, since Vader turned back into Anakin at the end, and it was Anakin that died, not Vader.
If Vader had died as Vader, then it would have made sense for them to put Anakin.

Other than that, I like the original theatrical version Endor party. The music is very nice. But the remastered edition is good too.

Yeah, I'm not getting into a big bruhaha about it either, but I got the message (I understand what you mean too though).

I do miss the original music though :( Ewok party music is the best!

Tibuda
August 27th, 2009, 01:40 AM
4-6,1-3

PurposeOfReason
August 27th, 2009, 01:47 AM

I too like the new ending (which I get bashed for every time by "fans" and then I start the trivia, ;)) and I reasoned it as Anakin changed into Vader during Ep3 and then "found himself" during his death.

Dougie187
August 27th, 2009, 01:50 AM
I say go in the order they are in time. 1-6. Just because then they go from worst to best, and she gets the story in the order it's supposed to be presented.

pizza-is-good
August 27th, 2009, 01:51 AM
I do miss the original music though :( Ewok party music is the best!

Jabba's palace original music is very nice too. I mean I like the new one too, that's the one I'm most used to, but the originals are pretty good.
Of course, Jabba and other animated objects just don't look good at all in the originals....

Chronon
August 27th, 2009, 01:56 AM
when it was first released it was just called Star Wars.

Actually, that is true. I still vote Star Wars, Empire and Jedi before the ad-hoc prequel episodes. It's how the story was originally revealed. I have a much harder time taking Darth Vader seriously as a villain after seeing the prequels. Anakin just turns into a petulant, spoiled brat. This? This is Darth Vader? It just doesn't work for me. Without all of that, Vader is a powerful image of potent strength and darkness. He is a fearsome figure in the original 3 episodes but he becomes much more transparent and weak with what is unveiled in the first three episodes. I much prefer that the curtain not be drawn back until after Luke's story has been told. If I watched the episodes I, II and III first I would just imagine a crybaby sulking behind that mask for the rest of the series. Wah!

Woormy
August 27th, 2009, 02:21 AM
Show 4-6, then the Mel Brooks movie Spaceballs, then 1-3.

hanzomon4
August 27th, 2009, 02:27 AM
4-6 1-3 fa show... Knowing what ultimately happens makes revenge so damn nice... Plus the two final fight scenes are a tough act for the older movies to follow.

Arquis
August 27th, 2009, 02:45 AM
4-5-6. Burn the rest and save yourself the trouble.

stuart.reinke
August 27th, 2009, 02:46 AM

Spaceballs is an awesome movie :lolflag:

I think I'm leaning toward 4-6 1-3 the way I saw them.

Nothing set in stone yet.

MikeTheC
August 27th, 2009, 03:49 AM
How about 4, 5, 6, followed by Babylon 5?

Sure, you can argue that Babylon 5 isn't Star Wars because it wasn't written by George Lucas and has nothing to do with his universe.

On the other hand, that could be two very good reasons for watching Babylon 5.

cascade9
August 27th, 2009, 04:01 AM
I think George Lucas had at least a rough idea about the prequels when he did the original Star Wars. Recall that it is titled Episode IV: A New Hope. I also don't think there's any special link between chronology and the best order to construct a narrative.

I vote IV, V, VI, I, II, III.

I'm pretty sure that it was original released as just 'star wars', it was only with empire that they started adding ep numbers. I'm also pretty sure that lucas says 'I always planned it like that", but....meh.

4-6, then 1-3.

LOL MikeTheC. Err. I just realised I'm liable to be DDoSed if I say anything more.

TheNosh
August 27th, 2009, 04:08 AM
also if she's really never seen star wars before, get the original versions, not the DVD nonsense. that should not be how someone sees star wars for the first time in my opinion.

TheNosh
August 27th, 2009, 04:16 AM
sorry for the double post, but this is important and i'm not sure why i didn't think to mention it before. when you're done with episode IV type this in the terminal
telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl

stwschool
August 27th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Play 4, 5, and 6. then pretend as though the other three never existed, sorta like the second and third matrix movies.
What he said.

wojox
August 27th, 2009, 07:32 AM

I side with t0p on this one. Lucas actually had ten episodes schedueled.

HappinessNow
August 27th, 2009, 07:34 AM

Or

Start with episode 4, that way she won't miss out on the surprises like Luke and Leia being twins and my personal favorite "No, I am your father". (still sends chills down my spine)

what do you think?Watch them all in random 'Pulp Fiction' order, start one random movie and about 30 minutes into it, start another but start from the middle or the end, then another random movie and watch in random sequence and so on and so forth.

If you have 4 screens watch all the randomness x4 and have fun! :P

Luca_turicci
August 27th, 2009, 07:57 AM
mmm... i don't know exactly how to say it but... how come your wife LOST a bet and has to watch them with you?? I mean... how come watching star wars is some sort of a bad thing that you have to do if you loose??... or maybe the bad thing is watching them with you?... you know what, forget it, i never said anything..

HappinessNow
August 27th, 2009, 07:58 AM
mmm... i don't know exactly how to say it but... how come your wife LOST a bet and has to watch them with you?? I mean... how come watching star wars is some sort of a bad thing that you have to do if you loose??... or maybe the bad thing is watching them with you?... you know what, forget it, i never said anything..

Yes! you did! hehe quoted you! :P

TheNosh
August 27th, 2009, 08:02 AM
sorry for the double post, but this is important and i'm not sure why i didn't think to mention it before. when you're done with episode IV type this in the terminal
telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl

actually, forget what i said about waiting till after episode IV, if anyone hasn't seen this yet, they should. just paste that in the terminal now.

JillSwift
August 27th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Well, I just finished re-watching Episode I, and it has codified my opinion.

Watch 4-6 first, then wait 20+ years so that when you watch 1-3 you're so desperate for new Star Wars material that anything looks good. :P :)

MythAaron
August 27th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Hopefully The Thrawn Trilogy will be made in that time so you will have episodes 7-9 to mix in also.

misfitpierce
August 27th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Watch them in order from 1-6, only reason they were released in funky order was george lucas did not have the funding to run from 1-6 back in the day when there was not a super villan to grab everyone... Seriously if darth vader was not around back then ppl would not have went to see jar jar binks and think it was going to be awesome... He had to start with the image of darth vader already made then go back to tell the story of how he became darth vader!

hanzomon4
August 27th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Hopefully The Thrawn Trilogy will be made in that time so you will have episodes 7-9 to mix in also.

That are the Bane story

lovinglinux
August 27th, 2009, 10:16 AM
It doesn't matter. She probably will be half-asleep before the end of the first movie, no matter which one you choose to be the first. Let's face it, if she didn't watched any Star Wars movie yet and agreed to watch because of a lost bet, then she probably won't like any of them and will ask you to switch to "27 Dresses" faster than a light saber. Then you will be frustrated with her lack of interest for such a wonderful piece of science fiction.

Have you watched the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica series? BSG would be a great option to spend some time with your wife, watching a very good science-fiction. The series is entertaining for sci-fi/space-battle fans and also for "regular" people, due to the drama and storyline. Is the best TV show ever and has some high quality CGI, similar to the Star Wars III opening battle.

samjh
August 27th, 2009, 11:12 AM

LOL

A lot of people actually don't like Star Wars or have never seen it, particularly women. One of my best female friends have never seen Star Wars, and another hates it. Different strokes for different folks, you know. ;)

bodyharvester
August 27th, 2009, 11:25 AM
4-6 then 1-3, so you can be drunk by the time the 6th is over so you dont see how bad 1 and 2 are, the big battles of the 3rd is kinda cool but still not as good as 4-6

koshatnik
August 27th, 2009, 11:31 AM

Or

what do you think?

Buy her a blindfold and some earplugs?

stuart.reinke
August 27th, 2009, 11:58 AM
It doesn't matter. She probably will be half-asleep before the end of the first movie, no matter which one you choose to be the first. Let's face it, if she didn't watched any Star Wars movie yet and agreed to watch because of a lost bet, then she probably won't like any of them and will ask you to switch to "27 Dresses" faster than a light saber. Then you will be frustrated with her lack of interest for such a wonderful piece of science fiction.

You are probably right, :(

benj1
August 27th, 2009, 11:59 AM

Have you watched the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica series? BSG would be a great option to spend some time with your wife, watching a very good science-fiction. The series is entertaining for sci-fi/space-battle fans and also for "regular" people, due to the drama and storyline. Is the best TV show ever and has some high quality CGI, similar to the Star Wars III opening battle.

actually i sat my girl friend down to watch the original proper trilogy and she realy enjoyed it, she has actually voluntarily asked to watch them again since.

EDIT ps 4-6 1-3 wouldn't want to put her off

forrestcupp
August 27th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Anyone who says 1-6 is a young noob. The only way to do it is 4-6 then 1-3 unless you really don't care about Star Wars. ;)

Sincerely,
Tristam Green (a fan of the DVD-ending of Episode VI)
I have to disagree. No matter what their intent was, the changed ending was rubbish. Anakin wasn't a young man when he died, so why should he look like a young man after he died? My response to whatever is your argument is, then why in the heck wasn't Obi Wan changed to be back to his young state when he died?

Either do them all that way, or none at all. Besides, it's kind of a slap in the face for the original actor who only got to show his face for a couple of minutes.

Tristam Green
August 27th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Anyone who says 1-6 is a young noob. The only way to do it is 4-6 then 1-3 unless you really don't care about Star Wars. ;)

I have to disagree. No matter what their intent was, the changed ending was rubbish. Anakin wasn't a young man when he died, so why should he look like a young man after he died? My response to whatever is your argument is, then why in the heck wasn't Obi Wan changed to be back to his young state when he died?

Either do them all that way, or none at all. Besides, it's kind of a slap in the face for the original actor who only got to show his face for a couple of minutes.

You clearly didn't get the intent then, or especially in its own related quote from Obi-Wan Kenobi himself.

Nicely done calling people who watch the films in (canonical chronological) order "noobs" though :(

forrestcupp
August 27th, 2009, 01:40 PM
You clearly didn't get the intent then, or especially in its own related quote from Obi-Wan Kenobi himself.Then explain. If it's because he was back to the state he was right before he turned to the dark side, I still don't like it. I also like the old music better during the celebration. There was no reason to change that.

Nicely done calling people who watch the films in (canonical chronological) order "noobs" though :(
Sometimes canonically chronological is not the best experience.

I grew up with Star Wars. I saw the original in a drive-in theater when it was released, before they changed the official name to "A New Hope". That was back when "The Black Hole" was expected to be a hit and "Star Wars" was expected to be a flop. 4-6 then 1-3 is just how history was written (in real life, not canonically).

You can just get so much more out of Episodes 1-3 if you've already seen 4-6. It adds to the excitement of figuring things out and noticing little things they added in to explain how everything fits together. In my official opinion, you lose a lot of the experience by not watching 4-6 first. :)

Tristam Green
August 27th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Well forrest, now you're just showing your age ;)

I can understand where you're coming from. My dad (who saw Star Wars {Ep IV} in the theaters in 1977 while he was in high-school) doesn't like the DVD changes either, and he wasn't much a fan of the 1997 "Special Editions" as well.

I also grew up with the franchise, having it taped from television broadcasts from the earliest of ages. Heck, one of my first memories is the speeder bike chase on Endor from Return of the Jedi (which I saw in theaters at age 1).

In the end, who gives a s**t (stars for the real younguns out there!)? For someone who hasn't seen them yet, watch them one way, then the other, then out of order in order preference (I watch EpIII then EpVI before any others if I do that), and just enjoy the dang movies lol.

(As for why Anakin "changed back", it was simply because Obi-Wan said "Your father was seduced by the Dark Side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed." Destroyed, dead, whatever you want to call it, he was no longer Anakin Skywalker. He died as Darth Vader in Luke's arms, and as such, when he joined with the Force upon death, he was then redeemed as Anakin Skywalker. Leastaways, that's how I see it)

koshatnik
August 27th, 2009, 02:04 PM
I'm amazed people still care about a film whose entire story was cribbed from a fairytale, with some psuedo taoism chucked in. I am geniunely mystified by it. What is it about star wars that inspires such devotion in people? I mean, out of six films, only 1 was any good, and it wasnt that great.

Tristam Green
August 27th, 2009, 02:08 PM
I'm amazed people still care about a film whose entire story was cribbed from a fairytale, with some psuedo taoism chucked in. I am geniunely mystified by it. What is it about star wars that inspires such devotion in people? I mean, out of six films, only 1 was any good, and it wasnt that great.

Because it makes some people happy?

scragar
August 27th, 2009, 02:12 PM

*Punches Nosh*

It's a shame they never made a sequel to the matrix. Isn't it?

TheNosh
August 27th, 2009, 02:18 PM
*Punches Nosh*

It's a shame they never made a sequel to the matrix. Isn't it?

agreed

koshatnik
August 27th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Because it makes some people happy?

Yeah, I'm not seeing the link between happy and obsession. Lots of things make me happy, but I'm not obsessed by them. And at the end of the day, its just a film. Dunno about you, but after I watch a film, no matter how good I thought it was, its just a film - a diversion, something to watch for a couple of hours, not something to base a whole life around, as some people do.

/shrugs

Tristam Green
August 27th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Yeah, I'm not seeing the link between happy and obsession. Lots of things make me happy, but I'm not obsessed by them. And at the end of the day, its just a film. Dunno about you, but after I watch a film, no matter how good I thought it was, its just a film - a diversion, something to watch for a couple of hours, not something to base a whole life around, as some people do.

/shrugs

Caring != obsession

It's not just movies, either. There are comic books, books, etc etc about the entire thing. Kinda like Forgotten Realms, or Dungeons and Dragons, or Discworld, even.

I don't get obsession about *anything* either. But your first post didn't seem like it talked of obsession. It read like you were just ridiculing anyone for being a fan of the story.

RiceMonster
August 27th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Meh, watch 'em in order just to see how different it is from the other perspective.

Hell yeah! Everybody has to see Spaceballs.

koshatnik
August 27th, 2009, 03:06 PM
It read like you were just ridiculing anyone for being a fan of the story.

No, I was just making the point that the story is so poorly realised (a princess locked in a "castle" gets rescued by a prince, change setting to space=star wars) I don't understand how it can attract so much adoration. I don't think it warrants it. But then, tbh, nothing really does. I guess its just really alien to me, I honestly cannot see why people get so into TV shows, books, comics, films, bands etc. Its just entertainment, fluff.

Maybe its me thats weird.

Tristam Green
August 27th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Maybe its me thats weird.

Maybe, from a certain point of view.

:KS

sydbat
August 27th, 2009, 03:17 PM
I didn't read the whole thread, but I would choose to go with 4, 5, 6 then 1, 2, 3.

Actually, I would only go with episodes 4 & 5 and forget the rest. After the munchkin teddy bears in episode 6, I kinda lost my respect for Lucas as a filmmaker.

running_rabbit07
August 27th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I can't even watch 4-6. The film quality is too out of date. Mostly being I am ex-military, I imagine space ships having infrared and or thermal imaging.

LowSky
August 27th, 2009, 03:34 PM
4-6 then 1-3, the older ones are just better (except for Han Solo shooting second, that was complete BS in the Digital remake), and the reason Lucas could come back almost 25 years and direct episode 1. The first three episodes were originally cut to make the story shorter and more action based. Lucas put the 'episode IV' without knowlege of there being another movie, and certainly not a prequel. The movies was so popular he was able to make more.

I wish they would make new ones based off the books. there are some really good stories there.

Tristam Green
August 27th, 2009, 03:35 PM
4-6 then 1-3, the older ones are just better (except for Han Solo shooting second, that was complete BS in the Digital remake), and the reason Lucas could come back almost 25 years and direct episode 1. The first three episodes were originally cut to make the story shorter and more action based. Lucas put the 'episode IV' without knowlege of there being another movie, and certainly not a prequel. The movies was so popular he was able to make more.

I wish they would make new ones based off the books. there are some really good stories there.

I've been reading Dark Horse Comics' "Star Wars Invasion" which is set in 14ABY, and it's so far a GREAT story. The comics are made from existing books.

running_rabbit07
August 27th, 2009, 03:37 PM

That would be awesome.

TheNosh
August 27th, 2009, 03:39 PM
munchkin teddy bears in episode 6

Ewok's were awesome, don't insult them.

Jesus_Valdez
August 27th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Robot chicken version, Family Guy version, 4 -6, 1-3.

Super happy, fun, fun time!

lovinglinux
August 27th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Star with this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVrIyEu6h_E

sydbat
August 27th, 2009, 04:19 PM
No...start with this one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wGR4-SeuJ0

lovinglinux
August 27th, 2009, 04:21 PM
No...start with this one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wGR4-SeuJ0

I forgot about that one. It's really funny :lol:

PuddingKnife
August 27th, 2009, 05:17 PM
If it were me, I don't know if I'd forgive you for making me watch 1-3 :P

TheNosh
August 27th, 2009, 05:30 PM
If it were me, I don't know if I'd forgive you for making me watch 1-3 :P

+1

i unfortunately have no one to blame but myself. the first new one came out when i was young and easily drawn in by flashy special effects. sure they were all flash and no substance, but i was a kid. i thrived on flash, i thought episode one was the best movie of all when it came out. as i grew older i grew horrified at the idea that i had ever thought that.

by the time episode III came out i had learned that the new ones were not up to par, but i went to see it anyway, thinking "well it can't be that bad". then one of the first few scenes is a f***ing cyborg with four arms using light sabers by just spinning them and walking forward and calling it "technique". it was a horrible experience.

forrestcupp
August 27th, 2009, 05:35 PM
and he wasn't much a fan of the 1997 "Special Editions" as well.I actually liked the "Special Editions". It was just the end change I didn't care for. Adding stuff is better than changing things. But there's not a lot I can do about it. :)

In the end, who gives a s**t (stars for the real younguns out there!)? For someone who hasn't seen them yet, watch them one way, then the other, then out of order in order preference (I watch EpIII then EpVI before any others if I do that), and just enjoy the dang movies lol.I guess I could concede that if you're showing the movies to someone who is definitely not going to become a fan, go with 1-6. But that's a lot of movie watching for someone who is not going to become a fan.

I can't even watch 4-6. The film quality is too out of date. Mostly being I am ex-military, I imagine space ships having infrared and or thermal imaging.Sure, but it's supposed to be "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away". :)

Bodsda
August 27th, 2009, 06:07 PM
I would watch them in the following order

6, 1, 5, 2, 4, 3

Just for fun.

TheNosh
August 27th, 2009, 06:08 PM

6, 1, 5, 2, 4, 3

Just for fun.

you, sir, have a twisted definition of "fun"

MythAaron
August 27th, 2009, 06:09 PM
I would like to recommend the books--not only for the original story but for the wider universe also. They are much more detailed and written for an adult audience. The Star Wars universe is a far richer place in the books. Plus, with the exception of R2D2 and C3PO, droids are furniture.

The books are also canon since the manuscripts must be approved by Lucasfilm. Tim Zahn's books are especially good.

doas777
August 27th, 2009, 06:09 PM
4-6, 1-3, 4-6.

rotwang888
August 27th, 2009, 06:49 PM
4-6, 1-3 for extra credit. Or are you trying to make her suffer? Can't she just mow the lawn or something? I can't imagine starting with 1 and thinking "I have to watch FIVE MORE of these things". She'll walk out. Wouldn't you? "It's ok honey, it'll start to get good in four hours..."

LowSky
August 27th, 2009, 07:06 PM
"It's ok honey, it'll start to get good in four hours..."

Don't worry once we get to episode 4 that horrible excuse for a Jamaican accented CGI alien and those Roger-Roger Droids will never be seen or heard from again.

BTW, Droids is actually in the Firefox dictionary... how cool is that.. :guitar:

joninkrakow
August 27th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I'm pretty sure that it was original released as just 'star wars', it was only with empire that they started adding ep numbers. I'm also pretty sure that lucas says 'I always planned it like that", but....meh.

4-6, then 1-3.

LOL MikeTheC. Err. I just realised I'm liable to be DDoSed if I say anything more.

Episode numbers started with the very first Star Wars, but the name "New Hope" for ep. IV didn't come until later. and no, I didn't read another 4 pages of to see if anybody else said it. ;-) Sorry.

-)on

alexandari
August 27th, 2009, 07:25 PM
It would be better if its 1-3 then 4-6. I see most of you grew up with the first movies 4-6 but and you think it`ll be better to show it the "classic" way,but I think it would be ok to show the episodes in the right order how they should be. After all,it`s ultra cool how everything fits up in the end ;)

zakany
August 27th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Episode 4, then 5. Then stop there.

Dark Aspect
August 27th, 2009, 07:49 PM
1-6

Good build to the story I think, I wouldn't really like 4-6 and than 1-3.

stuart.reinke
August 27th, 2009, 07:50 PM
It seems that I have opened a rather large can of worms. :)

rotwang888
August 27th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Episode 4, then 5. Then stop there.

Well...yes. Spare yourself the horror of the triumphal "jub-jub" dance.

the8thstar
August 27th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman performances' are simply appalling. Forget episodes 1-3 and focus on 4-6!

LowSky
August 27th, 2009, 08:06 PM
It would be better if its 1-3 then 4-6. I see most of you grew up with the first movies 4-6 but and you think it`ll be better to show it the "classic" way,but I think it would be ok to show the episodes in the right order how they should be. After all,it`s ultra cool how everything fits up in the end ;)

things that get ruined watching 1-3 first, yes I'm making a list

1. Luke finding out that Vader is his father
2. JarJar Binks -- just plain awful
3. Boba Fett is just some clone with Daddy issues
4. Finding out Luke and Leia are family (makes episode 4/5 kinda odd to knowing that when they kiss)
5. Finding out the Force wasn't as magical as you might think but some odd concocted tale of Midi-chlorians, that is never brought up after episode 1

doorknob60
August 27th, 2009, 08:08 PM
1-6. That's what I do when I watch them now, makes more sense to do it that way IMO.

madjr
August 27th, 2009, 08:17 PM
4 to 6 then 1 - 3 (because of more modern effects, actors she can relay to and intriguing storyline)

just don't make her watch them all in 1 day or she'll end up hating u and starwars

i would say 1 daily (or 2 if she asks for it) tops

joninkrakow
August 27th, 2009, 08:27 PM
No, I was just making the point that the story is so poorly realised (a princess locked in a "castle" gets rescued by a prince, change setting to space=star wars) I don't understand how it can attract so much adoration. I don't think it warrants it. But then, tbh, nothing really does. I guess its just really alien to me, I honestly cannot see why people get so into TV shows, books, comics, films, bands etc. Its just entertainment, fluff.

You are correct, these are just films--nothing more. But they are, in their own way, art. Art's purpose, at least in this realm, is to be viewed and appreciated as the artist intended. Some artists try to keep themselves out of the interpretation, others not. Lucas hardly left his own interpretation out of the pictures, simply by starting in the middle. By doing so, he set the the films in a certain way. Watching the films in a different order disrupts that--as someone else pointed out, certain unknown truthes are revealed in ways to create drama, etc. Changing _that_ order takes away, IMO, too much of the original pleasure of watching the films. Not only that, but some things (Vader's mechanical hand, etc. how Obi Wan ends up with Anakin's light saber in ep. IV, etc. only have any significance if viewed in _reverse_ order, they way they were actually written. (and for the record, the whole second film--the Clone Wars--is the result of a _throw-away line_ in ep. IV!!! These are just the things that actually make the first three episodes worth watching (certainly it's not the acting!!!) All these are simply the result of the fact that these movies were created in this particular order. Watching them in chronological order actually takes away some of the pleasure of actually watching the films. I feel for you young folks who have not watched them in this order. When my children first watched the Star Wars series, I had them watch it in this order, and ever since, they've been glad for that. BTW, we did that _after_ ep I came out. I wouldn't let them see it until they had seen the original 3.

Also, the love story of episode IV is the better love story--even if it is a tacky implementation of an ancient fairy tale. ;-)

-)on

NCLI
August 27th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Mario is an even more tacky implementation of that same kind of fairytale, it's still a classic ;)

madjr
August 27th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Mario is an even more tacky implementation of that same kind of fairytale, it's still a classic ;)

http://ubuntuforums.org/customavatars/avatar387344_4.gif

zOmG r u a jedi o.O

wut sandy plannet is that!

Tristam Green
August 27th, 2009, 09:16 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/customavatars/avatar387344_4.gif

zOmG r u a jedi o.O

wut sandy plannet is that!

Tatooine - where the sand gets in places you didn't know you had.

Jesus_Valdez
August 27th, 2009, 09:54 PM

6, 1, 5, 2, 4, 3

Just for fun.
Do it, for the lulz

MikeTheC
August 27th, 2009, 10:40 PM
@ OP:

The only really relevant question to be asked is do you like your wife or hate her? That will dictate what you have her watch.

In my most-definitely-not-so-humble opinion, I think only a wife-hater would make their wife watch Episodes 1 - 3.

lisati
August 27th, 2009, 10:48 PM
For me the #4 was the best one. The original 1970s theatrical release was pretty good for its day, but some of the tinkering they've done since it was first made kinda works too.

MikeTheC
August 27th, 2009, 10:51 PM
For me the #4 was the best one. The original 1970s theatrical release was pretty good for its day, but some of the tinkering they've done since it was first made kinda works too.

The key word being "some".

Han. Shot. First.

forrestcupp
August 27th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Episode 4, then 5. Then stop there.Why would you want to stop with Han being frozen in a block of carbon?

Han. Shot. First.
Blasphemy! :D

MikeTheC
August 27th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Why would you want to stop with Han being frozen in a block of carbon?
No, carbonite (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Carbonite).

Blasphemy! :D
Says the poster who doesn't even know what Han was frozen in. :p

yabbadabbadont
August 27th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Lucas has made so many changes to his films over the years, that my original VHS tapes might actually become collector's items at some point. :lol:

stuart.reinke
August 27th, 2009, 11:58 PM
@ OP:

The only really relevant question to be asked is do you like your wife or hate her? That will dictate what you have her watch.

In my most-definitely-not-so-humble opinion, I think only a wife-hater would make their wife watch Episodes 1 - 3.

I thought I was in the minority for thinking that Episodes 1-3 were without.

Glad to know that there are more people who can see past computer special effects and appreciate good acting and the real story being told. Even if it has been told a hundred different times in a hundred different ways.

To be honest, If I can get her to watch Ep.4 I will consider the bet paid in full. Perhaps she will have mercy on me next time I loose and have to watch a series of chick flicks.

My favorite single episode by-the-way is Empire Strikes Back. The lightsaber battle between Luke and Vader is a whole story in itself, If you just look.

xpod
August 28th, 2009, 12:28 AM
I got through the first couple of pages but all i could see were squabbles over the actual film order.Nobody seems to be thinking about this poor woman.You could end up alienating her for days here, if not weeks.
I like a bit of Star Wars myself but i believe your best bet here is be a gentleman, and let her off with whatever bet you won.
I`d suffer for months, never mind weeks.

If you cant let her off at least give her the opportunity of a "double or quits":)

Cortux
August 28th, 2009, 12:32 AM
As they were released, she would enjoy the special effects as it does get significantly better, I got my wife to watch 1, 2 and 3. She would probably kick me out the house if I show her 4,5 or 6

BTW, Nice to see lots of Star Wars Fans, Im like the black bird in the family for liking it

Ummm, I am one

cariboo
August 28th, 2009, 12:33 AM
Spike (the TV Network) ran Episode 2 this week, I'd forgotten how bad it was. :)

stuart.reinke
August 28th, 2009, 12:54 AM
BTW, Nice to see lots of Star Wars Fans, Im like the black bird in the family for liking it

Ummm, I am one

No, you're not alone. I too am the black bird of the family.

rotwang888
August 28th, 2009, 01:23 AM
To be honest, If I can get her to watch Ep.4 I will consider the bet paid in full. Perhaps she will have mercy on me next time I loose and have to watch a series of chick flicks.

Chick flicks? The solution is obvious. You can let her off the hook of watching 1-3 in exchange for you getting out of the next x-number of horrible chick flicks.

MikeTheC
August 28th, 2009, 01:41 AM
The Devil Wears Prada is actually not too bad a chick-flik for guys to watch as well.

Of course, if you really dislike her, make her go see "District 9" which, to my mind, is one of the worst sci-fi flicks yet. Not as bad as SW: Eps I - III, but pretty blech otherwise.

lisati
August 28th, 2009, 01:53 AM
It just occurred to me that the original theatrical release of #4 is the only episode I've actually sat through and watched properly, even though most of the rest have been on TV, including some updates over the years.

Tristam Green
August 28th, 2009, 02:25 AM
The Devil Wears Prada is actually not too bad a chick-flik for guys to watch as well.
I love that movie :|

forrestcupp
August 28th, 2009, 12:18 PM
I got through the first couple of pages but all i could see were squabbles over the actual film order.Nobody seems to be thinking about this poor woman.You could end up alienating her for days here, if not weeks.
I like a bit of Star Wars myself but i believe your best bet here is be a gentleman, and let her off with whatever bet you won.
I`d suffer for months, never mind weeks.

If you cant let her off at least give her the opportunity of a "double or quits":)

Hey, we're technically minded people. When we're asked a question, that is the question we answer.

Besides, if she won the bet, do you think she'd be a gentle lady about it? :)

xpod
August 28th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Hey, we're technically minded people. When we're asked a question, that is the question we answer.

Besides, if she won the bet, do you think she'd be a gentle lady about it? :)

Seeing as you put it like that i suppose....:)
In hindsight i`ve got a bit of a cheek in fact.I`ve quite possibly exceeded the Wife Acceptance Factor more times in only three and a half years of being "technically minded" than many will in a life time.
In my defence i had/have a lot of catching up to do.

Anyway, scratch that first post, Star Wars it is.In one sitting!

Shibblet
August 28th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Simple fact of the matter is that she doesn't WANT to watch them to begin with.

In my experience, if she watches the movies, she is going to hate them, because she has a pre-conceived notion that she is going to hate them.

Read this carefully

YOUR WIFE WILL NOT LIKE STAR WARS!

I also think if you hold her to this bet, she's going to resent it.

stuart.reinke
August 29th, 2009, 01:28 AM
We started watching Episode 4 last night.:popcorn:

Luke and Ben hadn't made it back to Ben's place yet and we were both asleep in our chairs :)

I call that a success. If she hates a movie she gets up and leaves. The fact that she stayed long enough to fall asleep is a good sign. :lolflag:

She says she wants to watch some more of it.

samjh
August 29th, 2009, 02:53 AM
Luke and Ben hadn't made it back to Ben's place yet and we were both asleep in our chairs :)

She says she wants to watch some more of it.

A wise person once said: "A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step."

And a famously wise movie character once said: "May the Force be with you."

;)

hhh
December 23rd, 2009, 04:33 AM
My favorite single episode by-the-way is Empire Strikes Back.
Maybe because it's the only one that had a director, the rest had Lucas. Being the darkest, the funniest and having a cliff hanger ending didn't hurt either.

The latest three episodes should never be watched by anyone who has any taste in film. They can't even be watched under the "it's so bad it's good" category. And it's not the actors' fault, even Liam Neeson can't resurrect that steaming pile of poo. It's probably the worst performance of his career because he has NOTHING TO WORK WITH. The fact that Episode 1 is one of the most successful films of all time (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/) is testament to the continuing rise of Utter Stupidity In America. Go to YouTube and enter "Star Wars: The Phantom Menace Review". It's 70 minutes of low budget commentary that blows away, in terms of movie making, anything Lucas did in Episodes 1-3. Lucas should take a film class from this guy. At least watch the first 10 minute part, you'll see what I mean.

The new Family Guy spoof, "Something Something Something Deathstar", is out on the series of tubes now, some very funny stuff there (as there also was in "Blue Harvest").

/2 cents

JimInLakeland
December 23rd, 2009, 05:10 AM
To paraphrase Sheldon on The Big Bang Theory, you should be "disappointed in the order that George Lucas intended."

4-6, then 1-3

hoppipolla
December 23rd, 2009, 05:40 AM
This question is always tricky!

I'll be honest and say that I enjoyed every Star Wars film (except that weird fully CG one, I didn't want to see that!). I mean I know Episode 1 can be seen as all kiddy, but I was only about 15 when I saw it and so it looked better to me then!

For someone new to the series then yeah maybe 4-6 then 1-3 is better, otherwise it might feel a bit odd.

If I were to watch them through now though I would probably just go 1-6 :)

benj1
December 23rd, 2009, 12:42 PM
This question is always tricky!

I'll be honest and say that I enjoyed every Star Wars film (except that weird fully CG one, I didn't want to see that!). I mean I know Episode 1 can be seen as all kiddy, but I was only about 15 when I saw it and so it looked better to me then!

For someone new to the series then yeah maybe 4-6 then 1-3 is better, otherwise it might feel a bit odd.

If I were to watch them through now though I would probably just go 1-6 :)

ergh how can you like the new ones. i really don't know what happened to george lucas, i watched the 'improved' version of return of the jedi a few weeks ago and they replaced the ghost of anakin skywalker with that guy from ep 2-3 it spoilt the whole film for me :(, thank goodness i still have the videos of the original originals.

jayze
December 23rd, 2009, 01:13 PM
Go for double or quits....loser has to take the winner to Matmata( in Tunisia where they filmed it):guitar:

Kazade
December 23rd, 2009, 02:36 PM
How about: 3, 4, 5, 6, then if they are eager for more soppy back-story, 2. There is no 1.

hoppipolla
December 23rd, 2009, 02:41 PM
ergh how can you like the new ones. i really don't know what happened to george lucas, i watched the 'improved' version of return of the jedi a few weeks ago and they replaced the ghost of anakin skywalker with that guy from ep 2-3 it spoilt the whole film for me :(, thank goodness i still have the videos of the original originals.

i dunno I thought episode 3 was epic :) I enjoyed 2 as well!

but there we go, we can't all enjoy them ^_^

RiceMonster
December 23rd, 2009, 02:43 PM
How about: 3, 4, 5, 6, then if they are eager for more soppy back-story, 2. There is no 1.

Hmmm... I prefer to think there is no 2, personally.

Странник
December 23rd, 2009, 02:46 PM
I first watched the old ones and then from 1-3.