PDA

View Full Version : Portuguese Water Dog or Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever or Other Dog?

HappinessNow
August 26th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Portuguese Water Dog or Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever or Other Dog?

Just looking for a dog (and yes I am looking at the local humane society constantly) but I was looking for a base breed that the mix I would adopt may have, there is also a great need for pedigrees that have been abandoned to be adopted also.

So which one of the two breeds do you like the best? or do you have another breed to suggest?

Portuguese Water Dog

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=126362&d=1251327206

Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=126361&d=1251326958

I am looking for a mid-size breed that is good with other pets (no kids) and a dog that would like to run along side a bicycle (my downstairs neighbor has a Rottweiler mix that is really sweet and runs along side her bike, but he is a bit too big for me).

dragos240
August 27th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Both are cute. Pick at random.

HappinessNow
August 27th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Both are cute. Pick at random.LOL, flip a coin, perhaps? :P

sydbat
August 27th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Go with #2. He's the cutest by far...and looks like a real dog...

mrgnash
August 27th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Ew. The retriever, easily.

HappinessNow
August 27th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Go with #2. He's the cutest by far...and looks like a real dog...

Ew. The retriever, easily.

The more I look at his cute face, the more I am leaning towards the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever.

p_hudson
August 27th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Oooh. Duck Tolling retrievers are great dogs, and SO cute as puppies. I considered them before getting my current dog, a flat coated retriever. The one comment I would make is that an owner of a NSDTR told me that NSDT retrievers will always try to pull you out of the water when you're swimming, trying to save you. if you're going for a rescue dog (great idea!) then you'll have to go by the individual dog's temperament. Play with it a lot, take the kids, etc.

I will also say that my flat coat is the NICEST dog ever. I always get comments from people on her. her temperament is the best, and she would never bite anyone. a great family dog.

mamamia88
August 27th, 2009, 12:29 AM
my golden is the best dog in the world

dragos240
August 27th, 2009, 12:35 AM
my golden is the best dog in the world

Watch out, the OP might steal it.

freebeer
August 27th, 2009, 02:24 AM
I have no experience with the first kind, but I'm familiar with the NSDTR. Both are good dogs, lots of energy, etc. I *think* they can sometimes be prone to slight health issues (nothing serious - just digestive track can be iffy/delicate) in my experience. Not enough to avoid as a breed though.

I'm quite happy with my border collie and Belgian sheepdog though. :P

HappinessNow
August 27th, 2009, 04:06 AM
I have no experience with the first kind, but I'm familiar with the NSDTR. Both are good dogs, lots of energy, etc. I *think* they can sometimes be prone to slight health issues (nothing serious - just digestive track can be iffy/delicate) in my experience. Not enough to avoid as a breed though.

I'm quite happy with my border collie and Belgian sheepdog though. :PThanks for the worthy input. :P

spcwingo
August 27th, 2009, 04:12 AM
Australian Shepherd...mid-sized breed, very smart, very easy to train, and absolutely love to chase things (including bikes). They come in many colors with my personal favorite being the blue merle. So you can see what they look like, I'll attach a pic. I have two Aussies at home and I could not ask for a better mid-sized dog.

Neheb
August 28th, 2009, 12:42 PM
I really like the NSDTR. Only health issues we had with the one my family had was some hip problems due to having played too much fetch.

Also, because our previous dog always jumped into the water, my mother managed to make the NSDTR afraid of water :)