PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] no menu

spi898
August 26th, 2009, 10:35 PM
i can get the background but no menu when i install it i cant keep it installed. it freezes then i have to reboot but no ubuntu anyone know any reasons.

running_rabbit07
August 26th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Are the tool bars showing up at all?

The next time you boot. Hit escape when the grub countdown is happening. Select to boot the system restore kernel. When it gets to the menu select repair packages and see if that fixes the problem.

Let us know if you have any questions on how to do this.

spi898
August 31st, 2009, 08:37 PM
it gets past the install menu but it freezes when i get to the installation questions

spi898
August 31st, 2009, 08:40 PM
when i reboot it it says insert a bootable disk and i have to reinstall it if i dont have enough ram would that cause it to freeze???

tal007
August 31st, 2009, 09:06 PM
Absolutely, if you have insufficient RAM, you will run into that problem. Yesterday one individual was having the same problem as you - can not bring up the installation menu due to insufficient RAM. He was trying it on a Pentium iii with 256 MB. I don't know what kind of system you have. Someone said that he installed it by creating a SWAP space prior to running the installer. He used 1 GB for SWAP.

Before you try, make sure to read the requirements from the Ubuntu site. Things like :

CPU type : 32 bit , 64 bit
Ubuntu : Desktop / Laptop
Ubuntu : 32 bit version / 64 bit version

spi898
September 17th, 2009, 03:54 PM
i have a dell pentium iii with 256 but i finally got it installed i had a bad memery chip now i have two more problems on my dell the screensaver was fine for about two weeks now it instead of showing up in the window it shows up on the outside of the window and when i let it idle for the screensaver it shows alot of weird shapes and then goes black and freezes. i have to restart it in order to get it back up. it started that about a week or so.
now i have a hp when i install it it says somthing like it needs acp=force to install but it goes through the installation questions then after i get it installed it wont let me do anything with my cd drive open it or eject or play music it tries to play music but an error shows up i dont remember what it says. its a dvd drive with cd burner on it.