PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Compatible Printers

rktompsett
August 26th, 2009, 07:11 PM
With prices of ink higher then the cost of a new printer, does anyone have any input as to a recommended All In One - AIO printer for 100% compatible to Ubuntu?

Kodak is pushing a AIO for $200.00 but I'm not sure it is Ubuntu compatible.

tenghoward
August 26th, 2009, 07:13 PM
With prices of ink higher then the cost of a new printer, does anyone have any input as to a recommended All In One - AIO printer for 100% compatible to Ubuntu?

Kodak is pushing a AIO for $200.00 but I'm not sure it is Ubuntu compatible.

Generally HP and EPSON printers have the higest compatibility with Linux. I'm not sure about Kodak.

Don't get Lexmark, it has poor support for Linux.

raymondh
August 26th, 2009, 07:19 PM
HP for me ... 4 printers so far ... no problems

oldsoundguy
August 26th, 2009, 07:20 PM
The Epson printers have cheaper ink than the HP units if you buy your replacement carts from Hong Kong (even cheaper than having an HP refilled!)

here is the current list of printer/drivers available in Linux:
http://www.openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi

Kodak's ink at 10-15 for the carts is tempting .. and their edge to edge ability is also attractive, but they are SLOW. IF you want to use this for office work where time is money, it may not be a good choice.

coldReactive
August 26th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Go to openprinting.org

check the "Printers" section.

Bleh, oldsoundguy beat me to it.

ajgreeny
August 26th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Just bought a Brother MFC5860CN, which has reasonably priced cartridges, even better if you use compatible versions, and is an excellent printer, copier, scanner, fax. It is a bit larger than some but very well built. CUPS will not recognise the scanner straight away, but you can get drivers for that part from the brother website and the printer drivers are on the ubuntu repos.

hazel denton
January 28th, 2010, 01:52 PM
HP for me ... 4 printers so far ... no problems
printer names please?