PDA

View Full Version : Just deleted my Windows partition.

mazz0
August 26th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Just thought I'd mention it. Maybe some fan-boys will give me a round of applause.

I'm a bit nervous though! What if I find a programme I need for work that won't run under Wine or VBox? Eep!

JillSwift
August 26th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Just thought I'd mention it. Maybe some fan-boys will give me a round of applause.A fan-grrl applause for you! =D>

I'm a bit nervous though! What if I find a programme I need for work that won't run under Wine or VBox? Eep!
Then you re-install winders, perhaps as a virtual machine. Look for a copy of (legal, use your own key from your legal copy) TinyXP. It's a very small install of XP, enough to get you through the day.

Copernicus1234
August 26th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Mine is still there, but I havent booted into it for 6 months. No need. :)

RiceMonster
August 26th, 2009, 06:57 PM
I'm posting this from Windows XP. Is this bad?

JillSwift
August 26th, 2009, 06:59 PM
It's only heresy.

Well, that and blasphemy.

Bachstelze
August 26th, 2009, 07:13 PM

It could be worse. I'm posting this from Windows 7, or windows7sins I think they call it these days...

hyperdude111
August 26th, 2009, 07:16 PM
It took me a while to get used to ubuntu when I first removed XP. I had to remove windows because I was stuck on wxp sp1 with huge numbers of viruses. I first tried wubi but kept corrupting the virtual hard drive so after a month of wubi i deleted windows.

HappyFeet
August 26th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Maybe some fan-boys will give me a round of applause.

How dare you call me a fan-boy!

I am an Ubuntu cultist! :lolflag:

Btw, congrats on ditching windows.

running_rabbit07
August 26th, 2009, 07:54 PM
It is good to hear you enjoy Ubuntu enough to throw away Windows.

It is lovely to boot your system and not have to wait ten minutes to use it.

sydbat
August 26th, 2009, 07:58 PM
How dare you call me a fan-boy!

I am an Apple cultist! :lolflag:

Btw, congrats on ditching windows.There...fixed that for you...:P

Dragonbite
August 26th, 2009, 08:02 PM

Same here, but I'm at work so I don't have much of a choice.

Congratz going Windows-free. I'm actually going to be installing Windows once my hard drive comes in (so I have one drive w/Windows and one w/Linux and can swap them out very easily).

You could always take a spare PC, install Windows on it and set it on your network so you can use VNC to run just those applications you don't find a Linux equivalent. On the other hand, if you look hard enough I think you'll find most applications have an equivalent, or something that works under Wine or Virtualbox so I wouldn't worry too much.

Then again, I don't worry too much because my work laptop runs Windows, so in a pinch I can always use that.

Tristam Green
August 26th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I am an Ubuntu cultist! :lolflag:

Admission is the first step to recovery.

mazz0
August 26th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Oooooops! Found a problem. Apparently the PGP Encryption loader was on the Windows partition! Now I can't boot - I just get the message "bootguard" :(

Ms_Angel_D
August 26th, 2009, 09:55 PM
congrats OP I just deleted my windows PC...lol. But new Linux Only Rig Rocks!!!

mazz0
August 26th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Phew, fixed it! Just had to reinstall grub :)

mazz0
August 26th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Oh, thanks everyone for the congrats :D

I kinda miss Outlook though :( Sorry!!

I do still have XP in VirtualBox, but only because work makes us use some bloody annoying software that just won't work in Wine. Oh, and Novell. Oh, and SecureClient. Grr.

Danny Dubya
August 26th, 2009, 11:13 PM

I do still have XP in VirtualBox, but only because work makes us use some bloody annoying software that just won't work in Wine. Oh, and Novell. Oh, and SecureClient. Grr.
Hey, at least you don't have any corporate firewall that doesn't let you on the network at all until you install some bloated and ineffective anti-virus that only runs on Windows (and ironically only needed on Windows...), and won't connect right from a virtual machine, like I do. That's why it's 100% impossible for me to use Linux at work, virtual machines or not.

amg181270
August 26th, 2009, 11:50 PM

Only you can answer this. But I would be surprised if you would ever announce anything to do with Windows or Microsoft as bad, not matter how deserving.

dragos240
August 26th, 2009, 11:59 PM

outlook < evolution

Bachstelze
August 27th, 2009, 12:00 AM
outlook < evolution

evolution < kontact

Yay, let's get trolling!

mazz0
August 27th, 2009, 12:32 AM
outlook < evolution

:'D Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

rocky35
August 27th, 2009, 03:21 AM

if you have gmail I found a post that showed me how to make my gmail look almost seemless in firefox and I gotta say I like it alot :)

rocky35
August 27th, 2009, 03:23 AM
oh and congrats I ditched windows about a month ago and I am a serious noob with this system but I like it enough to know I will not be going back to windows even if it takes me years to get this middle aged mind to rethink my OS ways :)

RiceMonster
August 27th, 2009, 03:31 AM
outlook < evolution

No.

coldReactive
August 27th, 2009, 04:36 AM
Then you re-install winders, perhaps as a virtual machine. Look for a copy of (legal, use your own key from your legal copy) TinyXP. It's a very small install of XP, enough to get you through the day.

Windows activation often fails on a Virtual Machine even though you've only activated the key once. :|

Dragonbite
August 27th, 2009, 06:06 AM
outlook < evolution

For me,
Outlook > Evolution >= Thunderbird > Kontact > Outlook Express

LookTJ
August 27th, 2009, 06:37 AM
On topic: Congrats to the OP, I hope it was the right decision.

a little off topic, I prefer Thunderbrid compared to Outlook.

aljoriz
August 27th, 2009, 07:39 AM
and I thought I was the only guy 'nuts enough' (squirrels anyone?) to use my entire hard disk for ubuntu installation.

JillSwift
August 27th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Windows activation often fails on a Virtual Machine even though you've only activated the key once. :|
Oh. Well, that's crudtastic.

Worked for me, though. There's still some hope if it comes to that.

blueturtl
August 27th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Like taking the training wheels off your bike it will make you feel unsafe for a while, but soon you will not miss them at all.

Congratulations. ;)