PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Why Can't you run Xubuntu on 128MB of RAM?

Sam The Bam 4
August 26th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Hey fellas

OK I know this is abit off-topic here but when I run Xubuntu Live CD on my old Sony VAIO Laptop which has an AMD Duron 800MHZ CPU,128MB RAM and a 15GB HDD ,it won't work.

Now I know about alternate install discs and so on, but one thing confuses me. How can an older OS like WIndows 2000 or even XP, give you just about the same sort of computer functionality on that spec of PC, but Ubuntu etc need more to do roughly the same thing? I mean it doesn't seem as if GNOME is doing anything that would make it seem to need more RAM than the windows desktop needs. and as Xubuntu is supposed to be lighter weight this doesn't make a lot of sense to, me anyway.

I know windows 2000 is old now, and new software usually needs more horsepower, but why can't Xubuntu run on 128MB RAM when all you need is the basic office/web, and a fairly simple but nice-looking themed desktop?

Cheers if anyone has any ideas as to what I can try, except DSL or puppy linux, cause I don't like thier UI's, they're more awkwerd to use and not as clean to me, seems odd considering that a fairly minimal desktop like Xubuntu, or even Ubuntu needs a lot of RAM to do basic stuff, when you could do roughly the same thing 8 years ago with an older OS.
Cheers
Sam The Bam

dbqp
August 26th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Hi Sam,

I don't have an answer for you, but I have a T30 Thinkpad running the Xubuntu with PIII 500Mhz, 128MB RAM, 20GB HDD. It does run, but very slugishly. I have wondered the same thing in regards to Win2K/XP...

Just additional feedback :)

snowpine
August 26th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Hi Sam,
The simple answer is that all software has a minimum hardware requirement... before you install anything (but especially an operating system), you should check if your system has enough ram, disk space, processor power, etc. to run it well.

It is impossible to design software that has no minimum requirements. The developers have to weigh features vs. footprint and draw the line somewhere, and somebody will always get left out. It's that simple...

The more specific answer in this case is that a Live CD has a higher hardware requirement than the same OS installed on your hard drive. That's because, in addition to the operating system itself, you need RAM left over for uncompressing files from the Live CD. Xubuntu should install on 128mb if you use the Alternate CD, you just can't use the Live CD.

Personally, on my old laptop with 128mb of ram, I am running the 'loram' flavor of SliTaz. Much faster than Xubuntu (at least on my particular hardware).

Dullstar
August 26th, 2009, 10:13 PM
It was open source and free as in freedom, so there may be an Xubuntu Dapper Drake around. The only problem is - no longer supported. And who knows what the first official release was like?

cusinmex
August 27th, 2009, 01:11 AM
Distros and OS' require more ram as
they naturally evolve..

Besides 128MB will barely run any distro
unless its D*mn Smal Linux

but if you upgrade to 512 maybe it'll run
decently

Dullstar
August 27th, 2009, 01:34 AM
I don't know 'bout Xubuntu, but Ubuntu 6.06 can still be downloaded.