PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Reinstallation of XP results in no boot menu

dylbud
August 26th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Hi all,

I have Ubuntu and Windows XP installed on two separate partitions of my hard drive. I recently decided I wanted to reinstall XP -- partly just to learn about the process, but also because I missed that new computer feel.

I was prepared to reinstall Ubuntu as well, if necessary, but I learned I could just install XP on its partition and leave the Ubuntu partition intact.

Ubuntu is still there -- at least from what I can tell. But the boot menu is gone. There is the option to hit F12 and go to a boot menu, but that just asks what device you want to boot from -- not what OS you want.

I am going to see if the live CD can help me out, and if anyone else has a suggestion, please let me know.

Thanks!

Dylan

Luca_turicci
August 26th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Yeah, i remember when that happened to me with Windows 7, boot with your liveCD and restore grub, this may help:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351&highlight=recover+GRUB

Good luck!

dylbud
August 26th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Wow, thanks for the quick reply. I'm on it. I'll let you know if I succeed!

Luca_turicci
August 26th, 2009, 09:34 AM
=) As Yoda would say: "thank me you need not, but search the forums you should..."

dylbud
August 26th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Yep. It worked and was easy. I think I was just searching with the wrong key words ...I was using "reinstall windows xp" and "partition" and stuff like that.

It's amazing how useful Linux can be. I've discovered that when I boot into Windows I mostly waste time on mind-numbing activities. But when I boot into Ubuntu I actually explore and learn. :)

Luca_turicci
August 26th, 2009, 09:47 AM
I asume you're new to linux, soon you'll notice that, in fact, you can do more things at the same time with linux than with windows, that's why it's multitask. the time will come when you can't leave with only one desktop and no synaptic, update manager and terminals. Have fun with Ubuntu, and take a look (or many) at the forums by time to time.

dylbud
August 26th, 2009, 10:05 AM
I've been at it for about a year -- but in the grand scheme of things, yes I am a noob. I had friends in high school doing stuff with Linux almost 15 years ago.

I've got Ubuntu on two computers (one is this dual-boot with XP), plus I've got Puppy Linux on an old clunker!

Luca_turicci
August 26th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Ah, sorry, i guess you're just new to the forums, by the number of post you've done.

Anyway, it was nice helping you =)