PDA

View Full Version : digital media players

PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn
August 26th, 2009, 03:20 AM
rather than erroneously referring them as MP3 players.

basically, had enough with my Sony NW-A3000. looks wonderful, used to work wonderfully, but now its just being screwy. (refusing to transfer music (that had previously been on there) re-listing track several times, giving different results to the search you provided (for example I say go to all songs by Dream Theater (by god if they could get a better singer they'd be the best band EVER) it gives me songs by the doves instead.

so suggestions, no Ipods, cause I'm not a fan of apple, and the whole Ipod ********.

and not doing Sony because of their horrendous software(which can't be run in linux)

thinking something like the Irivers or Creative zen models are worth it, not after video on it, just music. and of a decent size (I've at least 250 albums, so need something big enough to take that and more.)

oldos2er
August 26th, 2009, 03:49 AM
I've got a Sansa View I'm happy with. Both Sansa and Cowon (sp?) seem to have a good reputation running on Linux.

dmizer
August 26th, 2009, 03:55 AM
I use iRiver, completely compatible with Linux and much better quality than anything else I've found. The H10 is a decent size (easily fits in a pocket), has fantastic battery life. The thing lasted through several international trips including: 12 hours on the plane, and 4 hours on the train and almost constant use. Finally gave up about 15 minutes from my final destination.

There's also alternative firmware for it that allows it to play OSS formats and includes some other neat features that the default firmware doesn't have.

I had a Sony NW-A3000 for about a week before I got completely frustrated with it and returned it. It didn't work in Linux at all, and barely worked in Windows.