PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Little problem with screenlets under Kubuntu

Lrno
August 26th, 2009, 02:17 AM
Hi all,
Well first of all I want to introduce myself to the comunity, My name is Lrno and I am rather new to all this Ubuntu world. I am currently using Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron and I am learning about this fabolous Linux world :P.

I want to apologize beforehand if this thread is not in the correct place.
Well, my problem is really simple, I have installed "screenlets" (both from the repositories of my distro and from the official webpage) but it refuses to start. It seems that whenever I click on the program, it starts loading but then nothing happens, in the end it just dissapears from the taskbar as it was never launched.
I couldn't find a solution searching the web, and the solution proposed in the FAQ section of the official site, was somehow different from what I had in my OS.
Some clarifications that may help, I'm using KDE 3.5 (as it came with the installation) and I installed Compiz-fusion (which is working flawlessly so far).

Well, as I said before, I'm really new to this and I decided to take part in this community as I ve found many helpful tips here before.
I'd like to thank beforehand for any comment on my problem, and I hope I can keep on participating in this community.

Cheers.
Lrno.

ryry46d9
August 27th, 2009, 07:19 AM
I came here looking how to get it started. I did a apt-get for it but its not showing up under accessories. does ps -A show it running

Lrno
August 28th, 2009, 02:51 AM
Hi ryry46d9,

Well I've got a little confused with your post so I will attempt to answer what I think you've asked me.

I've installed screenlets from different places (repository and two other .deb packages from the screenlets website) and every time I've installed it, it would appear under the tag System or Utilities in my K menu. (remember I'm running it from Kubuntu 8.04)

About the ps command you mentioned, It doesn't show it running (or at least I wasn't able to find it in the list :mrgreen:)

One thing that I've recently discovered is that, if I go to the folder it is located (that would be /usr/share/screenlets) and I try to run them by clicking on the ".py" file, the particular applet would run no problems, but neither screenlets nor Screenlets-manager would start correctly.
I assume that it must be some compatibility issue with my KDE and that it might be solved easyly.

I have read about KDE users on the FAQ section of the official web-page but the things they mention there are different to the ones I see on my system, and as I'm an unexperienced user I wasn't able to sort things out.

If anybody has any ideas or if i'm asking tribial things :mrgreen:, please let me know.

Thanks again.
Lrno.