PDA

View Full Version : Good Calendar/Alarm

TravisNewman
January 25th, 2005, 04:27 AM
We're looking for a good Calendar/Planner/PIM/etc system that has popup alarms, and that DOES NOT require the app to be open, maybe just a remote app that takes up much less sytem resources (using some older PCs because we aren't loaded yet). I do have an old iMac that I'm basically using as a server, so I'm thinking of setting up some sort of groupware server there and having the program sync with that, if need be, and I must admit I just want to play around with a groupware server, but that's NOT necessary :) Evolution would be great, but I can't get it to alarm unless Evolution is open, and system resources, as I said, are a big issue. It doesn't NEED to look nice, but it would be nice :) gtk2 would be preferable, but it can be motif for all I care if it works.

PS: I wasn't speaking in the "royal we" at first, or going crazy, I was talking about me and my fiancee.

Adrenal
January 25th, 2005, 05:33 AM
Not ideal, but try the sunbird extension for firefox or thunderbird.

TravisNewman
January 25th, 2005, 05:46 AM
I have Sunbird, but it doesn't have the alarm notification. It's possible to set it up to send an email to a new email addy, then have a gnome-applet check that email, but it's a pain, and not very efficient.

TravisNewman
January 25th, 2005, 04:05 PM
OK apparently Evolution not working was a fluke. It's working now. BUT now I have another question. Is there a standalone app that does the same thing as the Evolution calendar component and has an alarm-notify daemon like Evolution?

fng
January 25th, 2005, 06:38 PM
i use xmms-alarm as alarm Clock