PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

johnnymo87
February 2nd, 2006, 11:28 PM
Hi,
I'm interested in learning a programming language. My only background in programming is html. I'm interested in the hacking/internet security side of things. What language would you guys recommend and where should I get started?

Barre
February 3rd, 2006, 08:17 AM
english...
I must say that russian would be a good language to learn :)

yarvin
February 3rd, 2006, 10:03 AM
for a beginner in programming (excluding HTML) I would recomend python, but I don't know what would be better in the security field...

Maybe a scripting language like bash or perl (although I've never used perl)?
yeah I would recomend a scripting language or python. Oh and get to know the shell commands really good.

Alvin

Wallakoala
February 4th, 2006, 05:49 AM
to the previous post: Python is a scripting language

Python is a pretty nifty language, and it is not too hard to learn. Most of the people on these boards would also recommend it.

Basu
February 4th, 2006, 09:46 AM
And when you're a bit more experienced I recommend C++, though I started off with C++

LordHunter317
February 4th, 2006, 04:10 PM
If you want to learn how to program, then start with Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs, available online. You'll need strong, proper programming skills.

steve.horsley
February 5th, 2006, 04:58 PM
to the previous post: Python is a scripting language
I've seen arguments about that, and have come to the conclusion that it really isn't. The argument that convinced me was that a "scripting" language was one that was intended to ease automation of the launching and execution of other programs, so that a script largely corresponds to commands that an operator would enter. In this context, shell scripting, DOS batch files and the like fit.

Python, on the other hand, is definitely not designed to automate the running of other programs - it is very much a general purpose programming language. The fact that it is interpreted doesn't make it a script.

Python is a pretty nifty language, and it is not too hard to learn. Most of the people on these boards would also recommend it.

Definitely agreed. It's a good starter.

johnnymo87
February 9th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Thank You.

LordHunter317
February 9th, 2006, 06:54 PM
I've seen arguments about that, and have come to the conclusion that it really isn't. The argument that convinced me was that a "scripting" language was one that was intended to ease automation of the launching and execution of other programs, so that a script largely corresponds to commands that an operator would enter.No, that's a crap definition.

Generally, scripting is a synonym for "source-interpreted", which would include python, ruby, perl, TCL, etc. None of those would be first choice for running a program that runs nothing but commands.

The fact that it is interpreted doesn't make it a script.Yes, it does, at least in the vernacular. It's also more sensible: a script is just a series of textual instructions.

mostwanted
February 9th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Scripts according to my definition are:

* Used for small projects
* Interpreted in some way

Jessehk
February 10th, 2006, 12:11 AM
If you want to learn how to program, then start with Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs, available online. You'll need strong, proper programming skills.

Somebody who has never programmed before would be scared off programming forever after just glancing at that book.

johnnymo87
February 22nd, 2006, 09:27 AM
It is pretty damn scary.