PDA

View Full Version : Is there someone who installed MacOs X for Intel PC ? Better than Ubuntu Linux ?

patrick295767
February 2nd, 2006, 11:08 PM
Hi,

Darwin, opendarwin.org. ...
Microsoft Office X and thousands apps can be installed ...

Is there someone who is using dual booting with mac Os X for Intel CPU ?

(I have a toshi M30 M centrino)

Points of vieuw ??
Better ?
Easier ?
More stable ?

Greetings !!

Patrick

xequence
February 2nd, 2006, 11:25 PM
Aparently the support for networking is limited... Not sure though.

imagine
February 2nd, 2006, 11:31 PM
You cannot run MacOS 10 on machines which aren't from Apple, and AFAIK you cannot yet install Ubuntu or any other Linux distribution on an Apple computer with an Intel CPU because of the EFI BIOS.

You can however install Ubuntu on an Apple computer with the PowerPC architecture (G3, G4, G5) and quite a lot of users also did exactly that. Just go to a conference which is somehow related to Linux/Free Software and look at all the PowerBooks and iBooks : )

Deaf_Head
February 2nd, 2006, 11:52 PM
Aren't you able to use os x on a pc by jumping through 14321528345729834798234 flaming loops backwards covered in gasoline and with some sort of emulator?

xequence
February 3rd, 2006, 12:07 AM
You cannot run MacOS 10 on machines which aren't from Apple, and AFAIK you cannot yet install Ubuntu or any other Linux distribution on an Apple computer with an Intel CPU because of the EFI BIOS.

You CAN run OSX on non apple machines. It got cracked.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2848361395447602199&q=dell+mac

It is called OSx86.

Aren't you able to use os x on a pc by jumping through 14321528345729834798234 flaming loops backwards covered in gasoline and with some sort of emulator?

No. You download the dvd image, then install. Not too hard. Oh, I forgot... You also need to burn it.

imagine
February 3rd, 2006, 12:36 AM
You CAN run OSX on non apple machines. It got cracked.I'm not very familiar with Apple, but AFAIK there's no cracked current version of MacOS 10 that runs on non-Apple computers. That video shows the development kit based on the old Panther version, which wasn't secured by a TPM.

Besides even if it gets cracked you still have driver problems with any hardware that doesn't exist in the Apple world, like mainbaords with non-Intel chipsets. And Apple releases a new version of MacOS every few months, with which it will probably disable every known crack, so you'd have to either stop updating or search a new crack every time. All in all this is no sensible solution.
Maybe it will be possible to run MacOS on computers not from Apple just for the fun of it, but IMHO not in any environment where actual work takes place.

xequence
February 3rd, 2006, 12:48 AM
I'm not very familiar with Apple, but AFAIK there's no cracked current version of MacOS 10 that runs on non-Apple computers. That video shows the development kit based on the old Panther version, which wasn't secured by a TPM.

All the developer versions had the thing that made them only work on apple hardware. Then someone cracked it.

Deaf_Head
February 3rd, 2006, 05:17 AM
No. You download the dvd image, then install. Not too hard. Oh, I forgot... You also need to burn it.

Like I said, 359872052309849027350 hoops backwards fire etc. lol

poofyhairguy
February 3rd, 2006, 05:33 AM

And make it magically work with your hardware. There is the trouble. I hear for many networking and 3d accel doesn't work.

That sounds bad!

Iandefor
February 3rd, 2006, 05:36 AM
I'm not very familiar with Apple, but AFAIK there's no cracked current version of MacOS 10 that runs on non-Apple computers. That video shows the development kit based on the old Panther version, which wasn't secured by a TPM.

Besides even if it gets cracked you still have driver problems with any hardware that doesn't exist in the Apple world, like mainbaords with non-Intel chipsets. And Apple releases a new version of MacOS every few months, with which it will probably disable every known crack, so you'd have to either stop updating or search a new crack every time. All in all this is no sensible solution.
Maybe it will be possible to run MacOS on computers not from Apple just for the fun of it, but IMHO not in any environment where actual work takes place. I've seen OSx86 running on non-Apple hardware. While it is true that there are driver conflicts, Apple uses a surprisingly large amount of hardware from "the rest" of the computing world. ATI video cards, etc. It'll work on hardware. Oh, and if you look around on TUAW, they have a lot of stuff on actually building your own Mac (you have to use the cracked OS X, of course, since you can't really get a TPM chip without some serious arm-twisting)

It was cracked. Just check out the OSx86 Project's (http://www.osx86project.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=1&id=1&Itemid=2) web page and see for your self.

prizrak
February 3rd, 2006, 07:02 AM
I've seen OSx86 running on non-Apple hardware. While it is true that there are driver conflicts, Apple uses a surprisingly large amount of hardware from "the rest" of the computing world. ATI video cards, etc. It'll work on hardware. Oh, and if you look around on TUAW, they have a lot of stuff on actually building your own Mac (you have to use the cracked OS X, of course, since you can't really get a TPM chip without some serious arm-twisting)

It was cracked. Just check out the OSx86 Project's (http://www.osx86project.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=1&id=1&Itemid=2) web page and see for your self.
Been mentioned before but the cracked version was the beta essentially. Final was never cracked. It would be fairly pointless anyways Linux is faster than OS X on the PPC Apple hardware where it's not developed at all, it would destroy it on x86.

mstlyevil
February 3rd, 2006, 07:09 AM
My opinion is if I want OSX I would fork over the $500 and get a Mac Mini. Those things are kewl.

Jason_25
February 3rd, 2006, 07:10 AM
I found it relatively worthless while testing it for several months.

You can forget games and 3d software because rosetta (the ppc emulator) won't do anything that intense.

Wireless networking and video card support is poor. The intel GMA900 graphics is the only video that fully supports apple's eye candy. Setting up ethernet is no problem on osx86.

It feels very "locked down" to me. Even more so being the x86 version.

prizrak
February 3rd, 2006, 08:48 AM
My opinion is if I want OSX I would fork over the $500 and get a Mac Mini. Those things are kewl.
They also suck :)

mstlyevil
February 3rd, 2006, 09:09 AM
They also suck :)

So does pirated OSX on a X86 machine. :mrgreen:

poofyhairguy
February 3rd, 2006, 04:25 PM
So does pirated OSX on a X86 machine. :mrgreen:

Amen.

imagine
February 3rd, 2006, 06:28 PM
BTDT : )

Although it would seem that Apple has successfully locked down their newest builds, they have permitted the blending of versions to add new features.
If I read that correctly, the only cracked MacOS version was the one from the development kit, which was the also only one not protected by a TCPA-Chip. Now some people "backport" some updates from newer MacOS releases to this old development kit version and distribute those updates over P2P networks.

I still think that running MacOS on non-Apple computers as an end in itself is possible but other than that it's no sensible solution. You'd have to buy/own a computer which hardware is similar to the ones sold by Apple (bad luck with Via/nVidia/SiS chipsets), download a cracked copy of the MacOS development kit off the internet, get it to work (according to that Wiki it's no simple burn & run) and then never update it.

prizrak
February 3rd, 2006, 06:56 PM
I personally don't get the fascination with OS X. It's a funky little toy sure, but a toy nonetheless. Only once have I heard a good reason to play around with it (well other than owning a Mac). My friend (who majored in network security) wanted to learn the OS and how to secure it just in case he would be in that environment at some point in his life. Even then you could just run one of the *BSD's and gain the same knowledge about the core of the OS. After all, serious administration is always done in CLI (unless you are in Windows of course).

patrick295767
February 4th, 2006, 08:29 AM
I personally don't get the fascination with OS X. It's a funky little toy sure, but a toy nonetheless. Only once have I heard a good reason to play around with it (well other than owning a Mac). My friend (who majored in network security) wanted to learn the OS and how to secure it just in case he would be in that environment at some point in his life. Even then you could just run one of the *BSD's and gain the same knowledge about the core of the OS. After all, serious administration is always done in CLI (unless you are in Windows of course).

I downloaded the tiger-x86.tar.gz and will start installing on one pc to try. (I still keep my Linux Server :-) )
I hope it'll give good resutls... According to what I read that can be interesting to try the OS.

The deep reason about this installation of this OS is only to get the Microsoft Office X !
Isnt it crazy ?

Why this microsoft office X, u can use the Endnote program for mac and importing pdf files & displaying them into your document.

If you may find a program to write reports and magazines, that gives the possibility of importing pdf files (displayed not like an damn icon & with good resolution) and the use of Endnote, then please do not hesitate to let me know, you would make one of the happiest man in this galaxy !

As soon as the Mac OS X is installed, I'll give you some point of vue of it.... if things are working on this PC.
On the other hand, I'll try tooo to link it and make use of the Linux server.

Greetings

Pat'

commodore
February 4th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Darwin is just the kernel of Mac OS X. You can't run programs using the Mac OS X GUI on it.

xelink
February 4th, 2006, 02:02 PM
why not wait for them to sell the OS "normally"? they could charge an exuberent price for non-apple hardware versions to mantain prfit and steal market share.

BoyOfDestiny
February 4th, 2006, 03:55 PM
why not wait for them to sell the OS "normally"? they could charge an exuberent price for non-apple hardware versions to mantain prfit and steal market share.

Something tells me they wouldn't.

Those mactel machines have some sort of DRM which allow OSX to run.
They would need to abandon this idea... And there is also the matter of EFI instead of BIOS.

Add on all the pc hardware available that they will not have drivers for. I do not know if they can use BSD drivers...

Anyway seems unlikley...

But who knows :)

patrick295767
February 4th, 2006, 09:07 PM

(I have feeling we can way long ....)
But ... we can always have surprise

The new s MAC OS X 10.4.5 should be expectingthis week...
http://www.osx86project.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=104&Itemid=2

Would you think that the hachers would be always able to make it : to make OS X running on Intel X86 PC ?

This is the reply "maybe" from MAC company :
Apple's Hidden Message to Hackers: "Dont Steal Mac OS X"
http://www.osx86project.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=89&Itemid=2

So ....

Pat'

xelink
February 5th, 2006, 06:31 AM
Something tells me they wouldn't.

Those mactel machines have some sort of DRM which allow OSX to run.
They would need to abandon this idea... And there is also the matter of EFI instead of BIOS.

Add on all the pc hardware available that they will not have drivers for. I do not know if they can use BSD drivers...

Anyway seems unlikley...

But who knows :)

windows vista should be capable of working under EFI and I beleive they gave the source for it to the linux comunity...

patrick295767
February 7th, 2006, 07:11 PM
windows vista should be capable of working under EFI and I beleive they gave the source for it to the linux comunity...

I have feeling that after XP, windows lost a lot of trust in Windows itself and its program. So many users are complaining that the updates are slowling down very significantly their pc. Processes are also very difficult to be stopped like a simple xkill !

Vista will be a menace for MACINTOSH ?

Someone has statistics concerning the OS used in the world ?
Intel PC or MAC or Linux ??

Greetz

Pat'

patrick295767
February 11th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Guys,

After using Linux for a lot of applications and work, the result of trying Macintosh Mac OS X 10.4

The result is a great and amazing pleasure :
Macintosh is a very very great OS
My next PC will be a MAC without any doubts...

I'll turn all my PC to mac for the future... My MAC Notebook is really amazing
Please do not hesitate to visit : http://www.apple.com/macosx/
It is worth ...

So, the result is more than satisfactory. I have found my searched OS, Unix based.

Greetings & do not hesitate to give thoughts about mac
One the other hand, my server pc will remain to be linux ubuntu :-)
Drivers are working very very very well and all kind of applications are workign , without any bugs and more than powerful ...
Would you find better than adobe illustrator for instance .... I think it's the very best program and I personaly cannot use any other program for my work applications...

See ya'

Patrick

mips
February 12th, 2006, 12:09 AM
How bout a guide ?

xequence
February 12th, 2006, 12:31 AM
The result is a great and amazing pleasure :
Macintosh is a very very great OS
My next PC will be a MAC without any doubts...

So you got OSx86 running on your PC? Congrats!

Just dont take a screenshot and distribute it over the web. The screenshot looks a little grainy compaired to the normal PPC OSX, and rumour has it that apple puts your IP into that so they can go after people the use OSx86 ;)

patrick295767
February 12th, 2006, 05:52 PM
How bout a guide ?

a guide ??

what do u mean.

The MAC OS X is rather very easy to use and install.
The installation was made via knooppix linux live cd and the use of my great Linux Ubuntu Server Tower.
Not additional partition used to make it installed ...

mount -t nfs IP_address:/mnt/... ./ and so on

MAC is really a very good os if you 'd like to have everthg working wihtout any doubts, and very powerful...
Adobe programs , iworks, micro. office X ....

Greetz

Pat

patrick295767
February 12th, 2006, 05:55 PM
So you got OSx86 running on your PC? Congrats!

Just dont take a screenshot and distribute it over the web. The screenshot looks a little grainy compaired to the normal PPC OSX, and rumour has it that apple puts your IP into that so they can go after people the use OSx86 ;)

Aahhh, thanks for the information !
It was just a successful trial ... The reply to my question was that for my work applications, only windows offers me the solution.

Greetz

mips
February 12th, 2006, 07:28 PM
a guide ??

what do u mean.

The MAC OS X is rather very easy to use and install.
The installation was made via knooppix linux live cd and the use of my great Linux Ubuntu Server Tower.
Not additional partition used to make it installed ...

MAC is really a very good os if you 'd like to have everthg working wihtout any doubts, and very powerful...
Adobe programs , iworks, micro. office X ....

Greetz

Pat

How well is your hardware supported ? Does stuff like 3d accell etc work ?