PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] migrate user profiles to new computer

majoob
August 25th, 2009, 06:09 PM
I've been using Ubuntu on an older desktop for a couple years... it is now running 8.10. I am NOT an Ubuntu guru.

I'm building a new desktop and will be installing 9.04. I'd like to migrate data files and user profiles to the new machine (and new HD).

I have an external HD.

What is the best way to migrate user profiles to a new computer/HD/Ubuntu version?

running_rabbit07
August 25th, 2009, 06:13 PM
I've been using Ubuntu on an older desktop for a couple years... it is now running 8.10. I am NOT an Ubuntu guru.

I'm building a new desktop and will be installing 9.04. I'd like to migrate data files and user profiles to the new machine (and new HD).

I have an external HD.

What is the best way to migrate user profiles to a new computer/HD/Ubuntu version?

In you r Home folder click on VIEW and select show hidden files. Copy and past everything to the external drive.

majoob
August 25th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, Ronnie.
What about permissions? Do I need to copy the files as root?

running_rabbit07
August 25th, 2009, 06:39 PM
You should probably open up the permissions so that your new screen name on the newsystem can make changes. If you set them like in my attachment, they should work fine on your new system. Once your new system is up and running, if you have any worries about security then you can reset them back to a more secure setting.

majoob
September 3rd, 2009, 04:20 AM
You should probably open up the permissions so that your new screen name on the newsystem can make changes. If you set them like in my attachment, they should work fine on your new system. Once your new system is up and running, if you have any worries about security then you can reset them back to a more secure setting.

Good advice. Thanks!